“Poor visibility, great service!”

The Dive Shop Cambodia
More attraction details
Owner description: We are the Only 5 Star Padi Dive Center in Cambodia that stays open all year round, Oue experienced guides and instructors will show you the best diving in Cambodia
Manchester, United Kingdom
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Poor visibility, great service!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

So first thing is first, the 2 dives were average at best, visibility was 4-5 meters and the dive was just ok. The dive shops involvement however was virtually faultless. Small group, good equipment, good instructor (Jake), good dorm, sadly nothing couilkd be done about the visibility.

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Good experience”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had a good experience with the dive shop. We read visability wasn't great and it was right (about 5-7m) but they can't help that. We still managed to see a few cool things. It was our first dives after completing our open water course so we were a bit apprehensive but the staff were great and it was very organized. We were lucky and only had 3 in our group and our dive master, Jake was great. The equipment was of high standard. I would recommend staying on the bislasnd for one night, its really peaceful and the food at huba huba was fantastic. We stayed in the dorm and with the moisquito nets, it was fine. The only complaint I have was the slowwwww boat there and back but apart from that, really good experience.

Helsinki
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not recommend”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

+ staff nice

- cancelled my booking for liveboard 1 week beforehand without any explanation
-> if you book liveboard, have backup plan also if its cancelled
- their boat is slow and basic with hard benches cramped with people, if you are staying in Sihanoukville use another shop which has faster boat
-> you need to meet them 7am at the shop but first dive is at 2pm after the boat first delivers supplies to resorts, you'll be back at Sihanoukville 7pm.
- rental gear worn out (broken pockets in BCD, twisted fins etc.)
- sometimes they didn't have enought weights for divers, second group had to wait for first group to come out to get weights from them
- one dive we had 6 divers/1 divemaster, and 4 of those divers had minimal to non-existing diving skills. This was the first time I experienced lost divers situation and (rightfully) the divemaster stopped the dive at 30min after second (!) time we lost divers.
- poor dive sites, its of course not the shop's fault that corals are mostly dead but don't believe when they say there is plenty of macrolife -> not much to see and visibility is mostly 5-7m

Unfortunately due to my experiences, I cannot recommend this dive shop, I would not use it again.

Visited January 2014
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Island diving”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

I had a really fun experience doing my advanced certification with dive shop and my instructor Jake. The location is beautiful and a nice break from sihanoukville. Vis wasn't great, but saw lots of nudibranches and we did a flourescent night dive which was really cool!! I would have given a 5 rating, but there seemed to be some disconnect between the center staff in sihanoukville and the island staff - I was supposed to receive a manual when I signed up so I could start studying before arriving, but didn't get it until after the first dive. But overall a great experience and the boat lunch is hot food - bonus!

Sydney, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Nothing short of amazing! ”
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

We decided to stay on Koh Rong Samloem and dive there through the Dive Shop and we were not let down.

The beach on which the shop is located is paradise. It is quiet, clean and you can enjoy a beautiful sunset every night.

The atmosphere on the island is quite enjoyable. We stayed for 3 nights in total and every night we would all eat together at Robinson's bungalow and everyone would get together and spend time talking, drinking and becoming friends. The food was superb and the service from the manager Manu and everyone who helped was also perfect.

We stayed in the dorms and although they were nothing special, they were comfortable and under the mosquito nets we were safe. We had no issue with the lack of electricity for the most part of the day as this island was our getaway.

The diving was a lot of fun. With the great dive instructors (Jo Jo, Adele and the French guy who's name I can't remember) we felt safe and comfortable in their hands. Visibility varied between dive sites, with an average of 4-5m but we saw plenty and still enjoyed ourselves. Most of all I highly recommend doing the night dive if you can, it was our favourite dive by far. Visibility was awesome and it gave us a sense of adventure. At the end we turned the torches off for a few moments and enjoyed the phosphorescence from the plankton. Even whilst waiting for the boat to pick us up, enjoying one of the clearest and most stunning view of the night sky filled with more stars than most places.

If you want to dive on Samloem and you want to getaway from all the busy life, I recommend the Dive Shop.