“I don't know why I keep going back”

Kern River Brewing Company
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Kernville
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed January 21, 2020

Today we got there before the rush of people. I really don't know how they do so much food business here. Every time I come I hope it has changed, but the food really is meh. I will say, you MUST have the fried pickles if you do come. They are delicious! We both ordered fish and chips. The fish was greasy and the batter was not great. I really wish they used the coating for the fried pickles, then it would have been better. The cod wasn't the firm white cod you get when you get good cod. It was a bit squishy and had dark colorations. The chips were waffle fries, if you like those, and I do. However they were barely fried, not crisp or brown. I had the Bear Claw Ale and that was good if you like dark beer. It had a bit more of a bitter finish than I care for, but it was good. The service always seems to be hit or miss. Our server was pretty good at first, but I noticed minor things like going to the table past us to give them their beer when she had our ranch in her hand and we were waiting for it to eat. After asking for ranch because the tartar sauce left something to be desired, her attitude seemed to change and she had just a hint of unpleasantry toward us. Otherwise, she was a good server. Honestly, it is hard to find good food in that area. There are many people who are ok with mediocre food and maybe they don't eat at better places, so this seems good, but honestly, it is just food. We stayed at the Sierra Cottages and do better to just make our own dinners, except for the pizza place there and they are fantastic!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (370)

Reviewed December 30, 2019

Went for a couple pints and some food after a long day of motorcycling. Really enjoyed the atmosphere as well. The serving staff were really down to earth.

Reviewed November 11, 2019 via mobile

We stopped in here for a early dinner. We ordered a flight of beers (ports) they were really good!

We ordered the portabello pita wrap with goat cheese that was amazing! We also ordered the jalapeño chicken popper wrap that was delicious.. we ordered a side salad with there homemade balsamic dressing that was the best we have ever had! My son ordered the chicken wings and they were good too!

I’ll definitely be back here on our next visit!!

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed October 21, 2019

Busy Friday night, live music, big crowd. We had two different burgers and both were quite good. The service was good, but the wait time for our food was a bit long (about 40 minutes) which I attribute to the place being full. I wasn't overly impressed with the two beers I tried, but they were okay. The server was polite and tried to make up for the long wait which we appreciated.

Reviewed October 11, 2019 via mobile

Situated close to our motel, it had a great range of their own beers and some ciders.
The IPAs were especially good.
Food was served till 9pm - average range for the area, but decent value.
Worth calling in - especially for beer drinkers!