“The perfect spot for a fly fishing getaway week-end”
Review of Sequoia Lodge

Sequoia Lodge
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Kernville
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Excellent place, very friendly owners, great location. My room was artfully decorated (fly fishing was the purpose of my trip to Kernville), the kitchenette had all the amenities, and the bed was very comfortable with one of those over-the-mattress extra layer of fluff.
I will come back with my family for sure!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed June 30, 2011

My husband and I always go there for our yearly trip to the Kern. The Staff is great and are very caring. So peaceful there. The place is always clean and great. It's our home away from home. We love it there. My husband and I always catch fish there too. Thank you Sequoia Lodge for being a great place. Till next year.

Room Tip: Use Samon Eggs or Power Bait to catch a fish.
Reviewed June 26, 2011

This is a marvelous find along the Kern River, the place is clean and very, very accommodating, and the proprietors are very nice and helpful as they can be. I would heartily recommend this motel to anyone that is in the area. In the summer you would want to have a reservation since the Kern River Valley fills pretty rapidly, and there is only one handicapped room here, so if you need that, reserve early.

Reviewed June 18, 2011

The property as well as the staff were delightful... we could not have wished for more on our halfway mark from Yosemite to Vegas. We could have driven straight through, but it would have been rushed so we decided to take the scenic route through the Sequoia Forrest and we are so glad we did. This hotel is right on the Kern River and was a wonderful place all around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closest to the river..
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2011

What a great place, convenient to Sequoia National Forest. Excellent fishing, big healthy rainbow trout waiting to be caught. Nice little garden with paths down near the rushing river. A patio overlooking the river, with hummingbird feeders where we watched the birds for hours. Be sure to have a steak dinner at Johnny McNally's, 10 minutes up the road, and don't miss the Trail of 100 Giants, just about 45 minutes away. Pat and Kieth were so friendly, we felt like we were staying with friends, rather than in a hotel. We hope to be back soon, and stay longer.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2011

My only regret was that we had not booked more than one night at this place. The location on the river is gorgeous, and the room we booked was lovely...someone has taken a lot of time to decorate, pick the furnishings and do the landscaping at this little lodge right on the river. Perfect location for fly fishing, watching the rafters float by or just to walk in the rock gardens. The pictures do not do it justice. I will definitely want to return for a longer stay some day.

Reviewed June 5, 2011

My husband surprised me with this trip for "my" birthday present. He said, "I wanted to do something different for your birthday this year, let's go up to the mountains and fish!"
I wasn't thinking that it was as much for my birthday as it was for him to go fishing, I went along a bit reluctant at first. BOY,was I wrong.

WOW ! How absolutely beautiful !!! Right smack dab nestled in the mountains. The Sequoia Lodge has darling cabins, well decorated with a country settings like the moose & deer lamps, country pine side bed stand, the pine eating table and chairs with wonderful outdoor scenes material cushions, bedspreads, everything was in a log cabin /lodge charm. Even the light switches !
My husband and I usually go to see family when we vacation. This was such a treat ! We both work different shifts completely and get very little together time so it was perfect,

It is only 50 yds. (REALLY !) to the river from the lodge. We stayed in a single bed room. It had a small microwave, fridge, sink, complete with a set of dishes, glassware and utensils. TV in a closed pine cupboard. ( I think we had it on once in 5 days) drawers below to put your clothes. Bathroom was small but complete and even for my husband ( a 6'guy) it was still comfortable.
OK outside, There are a couple patios to bbq and the one down at the end was my favorite ! You could see and hear the river from there, in the mornings it was just beautiful. I would get my coffee and go and sit to watch the birds and the animals scurrying around. The birds are everywhere, would be a bird watchers delight for sure. Down the stairs you can walk along the edge of the river and along the way there are small spots you can sit and enjoy the view, fish or jump in the river. There is a small open fish cleaning hut complete with sink. Little country lodge signs everywhere. The flower hanging all over in baskets and small little niches of gardens here and there.
I think the pictures online are great but do it not enough justice.
Extremely quaint.
I fished but my favorite part was panning for gold all day while my husband fished :) Only minutes from the main part of town with wonderful shops of art and all types of eating establishments. We choose the Italian dinner restaurant and it was perfect. Candlelight dinner for two!
If you didn't want to do anything but relax and not drive anywhere this is the place to be. Grocery, cafe, bait shop, river toys are right there. I hated to leave and now it's time to go back !!! I CAN'T WAIT until August !!! OH yes . . . We are taking the oldest and his wife this time and will be staying in the River View Cabin, it has a electric fireplace and it's own little wood porch, even rocking chairs !!
The caretakers were excellent. Courteous. Helpful. Everything is ejaculate and clean.
It is someplace I would recommend to all my family and friends without any hesitation. I'm hoping that we can get together with friends some time soon and ride the motorcycles up there and all stay for the weekend. It would be a great bike trip !

Room Tip: The best room is the River View Room with Porch.
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kernville
River View Lodge
#2 of 3 in Kernville
Barewood Inn & Suites
Barewood Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Wofford Heights

Been to Sequoia Lodge? Share your experiences!