“Lovely Getaway”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kernville
Maple's McCambridge Lodge
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Kernville
Long Beach
Reviewed September 29, 2005

I took my wife and children for a getaway, over the weekend, to Kernville. We stayed at the McCambridge Lodge after a suggestion from a friend. Upon arrival, Althea was very nice and showed us to our room. The room opened up to a beautiful view overlooking the Kern River. My family enjoyed the weekend; although the water was cold, we did enjoy a trip to the redwood trees. Anytime we needed anything, Althea was there to provide. She, and her husband Dan, also invited us to a BBQ they had on Sunday. It was a very enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed: March 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Ridgecrest, CA
Reviewed August 16, 2005

We made reservations a week in advance for one night at the Maples McCambridge Lodge, a 10 room motel in Kernville. The proprietor even called back to confirm.

When we arrived in town, with our two grandchildren and a car full of luggage, we called the motel for directions. To our surprise, and anger, we were informed they must have "forgotten" to write down our reservations, the room was "double booked" and they were sold out.

At first they pretended not to remember us but then let slip, "Oh, that's right, you just wanted one night." The tone of the conversation gave us the impression they gave away our room for a better offer: multiple days or multible rooms.

They blew us off, ruined our vacation (the town was sold out), and made my Grandkids cry! Unprofessional! Watch out for this place!!!!

• Stayed: August 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed September 10, 2004

We were looking for a last minute getaway for Labor Day weekend (Sept 2004). We had never heard of Kernville, CA until one of my husband's employees suggested it. I went on the internet and did a search of Kernville, CA and on one site I stumbled across but 5 hotels/motels to stay at. I called all of them and they were all sold out, except Maples McCambridge Lodge. I spoke with Althea, who said she just so happened to have a last-minute cancelation and would be more than happy to hold the LAST room for us if we could guarantee her a 3 night stay. I felt a bit under pressure, as this was our very first opportunity for a last minute getaway (just the two of us, the kids were staying with grandparents). I reserved it after talking it over with my husband. When we got there, the exterior looked worn down and beat up, but Althea was very nice. What made me a little uncomfortable was when she PRECHARGED us for our stay. But, as she walked us to a quaint room with country style motif, which didn't look bad at all, I felt a little more at ease. Then, however, my husband overheard Althea talking to another guest saying they still had a few rooms available -- could it be she lied to me for the business? "Don't let it bother you," my husband said, the optimist he is (by the way, she did lie, as the room next to us was NEVER occupied the whole time we were there). THEN THE NIGHTMARE BEGAN. NO HOT WATER FRIDAY NIGHT, SATURDAY MORNING, SUNDAY MORNING, SUNDAY NIGHT, MONDAY MORNING. We did have hot water for one shower on Saturday night. Our toilet did not flush unless you held the handle down for 20-30 seconds, the bathroom sink faucet constantly dripped, the outside pathways were unlit the last night (very unsafe), the telephone system did not work so we could not ask for a wakeup call, or call for extra towels -- we had to walk to the office, which I would like to say was a total mess, and we had to ring a doorbell because no one was ever in there!

JUST ONE PIECE OF ADVICE TO ANYONE THINKING ABOUT STAYING THERE -- DONT! You won't be sorry you didn't!

31  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 11, 2004

We had an amazing rafting trip on the lower Kern river that involved overnight camping. As we were heading to our hotel which we reserved to have some time to explore the town and kick back for a couple of days after rafting, we commented on what a perfect vacation it had been. Then, boom. We get to the McCambridge Lodge where we had reservations. Probably the least attractive exterior in all of the Kernville hotel choices. But, hey, I'm an adventurer. When we went to check in, the owner told us she had given the prime room we had reserved two months in advance (the two room cabin that sits separate from the other rooms) away to some folks who decided they wanted to stay another night at the last minute. Here she had talked up this cabin to me over the phone when I made the reservation and I had re-confirming my reservation for the cabin just two days prior) and now she tells me we can't have it because she has given it away. Well, of course I asked if the folks she gave it to would take other rooms as we were looking forward to the cabin (mind you the hotel was not full and it's no wonder why with the interior of the rooms just as dull and dreary as the exterior). Overall, it was probably one of the worst experiences I have had dealing with people in the service industry. I could have probably managed to accept the last minute change if the owner would have been gracious and considerate. If you value being respected as a customer and a person, do not stay at the McCambridge Lodge. There are many other quaint hotel choices. We chose to stay at the Whispering Pines Lodge and finished off our almost perfect vacation in style.

30  Thank Amy M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kernville
River View Lodge
#1 of 1 in Wofford Heights
Whispering Pines Lodge
Whispering Pines Lodge
#2 of 3 in Kernville

Been to Maple's McCambridge Lodge? Share your experiences!