“Amazing RV Experience”

Camp James Campground
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was our maiden voyage with our new travel trailer. We stayed at Camp James right on the Kern River and listened to the water rolling over the rocks all night. It was absolutely beautiful and quiet and clean. The staff were very accomodating and friendly. We booked another stay before we left!

Room Tip: We were at waters edge!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nancy M

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Camp James is a campground for families. If you don't have kids, I suggest staying elsewhere, which is what I will do next time.

Here are the PROS:
The bathrooms are immaculate compared to surrounding campgrounds (which you can walk through if you just get off the river), but bring your own soap and towels. Hot showers for a dollar and clean toilets with toilet paper provided. The little office store sells firewood for $5.50, ice for $2.50, and a good selection or river rafts and tubes at fair prices. I bought the cheapest tubes for $5 each and they got me through the three days of rafting. I will invest in a heavier tube with a bottom once those pop though, because I scraped my tush on rocks and algae all the way down the river. Each camp site has a fire pit, a picnic table, a little BBQ, and a water hookup which really came in handy when washing the dirty river out of my shoes. Also, there was lots of shade, which to me is priceless.

Here are the CONS:
The sites were way too close together, and some of them were very small. Upon arrival, there was a little boy ahead of me in line asking about any larger spots being available for his family's camper and he got a big fat NO. It was Labor Day weekend. When I was heading toward my site I saw where the little boy was staying and he was right to ask for a bigger spot. The camper barely fit on the site. No room for lounging outdoors, except at the picnic table.

Beware sites 42 and 43. I was led to believe over the phone that 43 was a nice private site tucked away in the back of the campground. In truth, sites 42 and 43 were added recently, and while they ARE tucked in the back (and far away from the bathroom), they are in a pathway. So people are basically walking through your campsite all day and night. Kids AND ADULTS were using our site as a bike path while we sat there trying to relax. They would ride through our chairs as we sat in them! I just wanted to relax and I found the lack of consideration infuriating. Also, it's startling to wake up in the middle of the night with strangers walking by the tent, four feet from my pillow. I asked the office if anything could be done because it was really putting a damper on our otherwise fun vacation, but I got no help or sympathy.

Overall I was disappointed in Camp James. Since it was Labor Day weekend, I had to pay for four nights even though I could only stay for two. I felt misled about my site. Our neighbors were rude...blahh

Room Tip: Sites 42 and 43 are located in a pathway. Staying there is like buying a house next to a freeway.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank aaaaaalison
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Awesome campground, absolutely no complaints!! Some of the spots are river front, but even the ones that weren't were still very close. Me and my kids are not hardcore campers so this place was great because you could buy what you needed in the nearby town, good bathrooms with showers, etc.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Andrea D
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I wouldn't suggest that but....you could ! This is the cleanest campground I have ever seen. Not a bit of trash anywhere. All sites are raked after guests depart from their stay. Even our fire ring looked like it had been wiped out.

The grounds are beautiful with lots of trees and shrubbery. Each site has a picnic table, a fire ring and a barbecue. All sites have WiFi.

It's located on the Kern River and also has a small tributary running through the center of it. The camping area is gated with security codes.

We were treated like family here! Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful!

If you're looking for a party site, this is not it ! They have a lot of rules. No unruly barking dogs, no loud music, 5 mph to prevent dust and more. It is pricey at $30 a sites with just water and $35 for sites with water, electricity, cable unless they are riverfront, then $45. These are for two people. But this is a pricey area to stay in period.

If you're looking for a beautiful, well kept, peaceful, safe camping area on the lovely Kern River that allows dogs - this is your place!

Clean bathrooms - One Single Bathroom and the Shower House
Easy access to the river from all sites - some trails
Coin Operated Showers - $2.25 for 11 minutes
Two dogs per site - leashed (doggie bags supplied)
Tiny store that stocks water shoes, rafts, ice cream, books, ice and firewood, etc.

We loved it so much, we booked our next trip before we left

I

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Off2SeeItAll
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I've been coming to Camp James for many years now and I love it. I know there are a lot of people who complain about the rules but I think they are what really set this place apart from the rest. The staff is friendly and helpful. The campground is immaculate, in my opinion. There is always someone driving around on the golf cart either cleaning up camp sites or emptying the trash so it doesn't overflow. The bathrooms are very clean. Even the fish cleaning station is clean. There is such a great pride of ownership and that makes a huge difference. I think their rates are comparable with other campgrounds with similar features such as full or partial hook-ups. I would choose Camp James over any other campground in Kernville :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Moby21
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Great campground. Camped here in a 24 foot RV. Campground is HIGHLY maintained. The Management was kind & accommodating. Amenities galore at this campground. Had dog with us and had no issues. Highly recommend. Kernville is a short walk if you don't bring a tow. Did the water rafting one day, that was awesome. This is a 5 star park for sure!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JAK2007
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Our first time to Camp James. We had met the assit. mgrs (Camp hosts) of Camp James previously while staying at another park with friends. After spending a little time with them they invited us to Camp James. The park is nice and clean, on the river, but expensive for just partial hookups.We paid $50 per night (no sewer and $5 per nt for dog). After spending a little more time with these folks while at Camp James we unfortunately found them to be hypocritical, judgemental, arrogand at times, and willing to gossip about the other management of the park. While we think the park itself is pretty, should we or our friends ever decide to stay in the future, we would prefer to deal with the owners or other available management.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family