“Dirty abandoned place terrible management”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kernville
Sierra Gateway Cottages
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Where do I start? This was the dirtiest place I have ever stayed. It smelled bad, it had spider webs in every room, bugs, dirty curtains, some of the dishes were dirty in the cupboard, honestly disgusting. The only reason we decided to stay there was because pets were allowed. Every time I tried to contact the "manager" i had to call at least twice to get an answer, one day, when I was getting out of the shower the outdated fire alarm started going off and wouldn't sop, so I called her and she said she couldn't hear me and HUNG UP on me! Never called back to check if everything was ok. There is signs saying that if you have unreasonable amounts of trash she'll charge you a fine, but guess what? There was already trash in the cans when we checked in, and it never got emptied during the whole week... Outside looks like an abandoned place, weeds and plants growing outta of control, leaves and dead plants everywhere, the barbecue area was not kept clean. One day someone just walked in using their key to unlock the door, without announcing themselves, no knocking on the door, just said something like: I thought this unit was empty.
When we checkout she was nice to let us stay longer then 12, even though I was willing to pay extra she didn't charge us... She told me to turn of the lights and leave the key inside which we did. Two days later she charged us $50, I called her to ask the reason. After the call went to voice mail twice, she finally picked up like this: - hello, I'm trying to have breakfast, what do you want??
When I asked for an explanation she went on and on about all the things she have done for us, letting we stay there with pets and an extra half day, and that we left the windows open so it rained and it was our fault. Anyways, I'm done ranting. It was an awful experience and I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Juli_Lapp
Carla T, General Manager at Sierra Gateway Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear Ms. Lapp, As manager of this property for numerous years I take your dis satisfaction quite personal. First of all when we spoke on the phone you informed me that you had an infant and two pets. I responded that I had just become a grandma and that in order to not wake your baby I would wait for you to contact me if you needed anything. At this time it was also explained to you that I am on the property each day until 4:00 and that whatever you needed I would be right there working, you just needed to call me. We were in the process of installing a fence and vineyard f or our guests enjoyment hardly the un kept grounds that you described. I was constantly moving sprinklers around your cottage. The entire time you were here I never once saw you come out. I offered you the very best mid week rate I could, waved one of the pet fees and offered you a late check out at no extra charge. I suppose it was the $50. fee I charged for your not keeping your end of the check out procedures that was upsetting to you. It is never my responsibility to clean up after your pets. We have a checklist in the cottage that details your responsibility as our guests in order to avoid any extra charges. This was clear in that not only is there a list but we discussed this when you called to request a very late check out. Your late check out in fact should have been an additional night charge. You should have also been charged for both pets, not just one pet. If you were to read all of our other reviews you would see that customer satisfaction is of utmost importance to me. Hospitality is my business and I do it well given the opportunity. Yes, when you called to dispute the $50. charge for the extra cleaning I was in fact trying to enjoy a hot meal. It is a courtesy to leave a message not call and hang up 6 times in a row. As managers we too deserve our guest to be polite and respectful. Sometimes it seems the more we do as managers to offer a nice rate, privacy, free pets, and a free check out it saddens me to have to even spend more time on trying to explain myself.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

My partner and I stayed here New Years Eve. It was a very special day for us and the adorable cottage helped add to the enjoyment. The fireplace provided plenty of warmth and ambiance. The full kitchen and normal size fridge were also very nice. The staff was helpful and knowledgeable and customer service was to notch! We will definitely stay here again and highly recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank JakeAndJames
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I were pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and coziness of our cottage. Convenienly located within a short walking distance to the shopping market and Kern River Brewing Co., it is tucked away in a perfect location in Kernville. Carla, the owner was friendly and we plan to return for another weekend getaway soon. We feel like we've found our hidden jewel in the mountains. Cheers!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Scott G
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I booked the Lakehouse cottage for a “girls get away”. It was such a cute and quaint house with the ideal location. We didn’t have to drive anywhere which made it really easy for everyone to enjoy themselves. The house itself is fully equipped and well maintained. We grilled every night and sat on the wraparound porch taking in the country. The beds and living area were extremely comfortable with no complaints of hard mattresses or furniture. If you are looking for an ideal location to town and river beaches, with no hassle of packing kitchen supplies and daily comforts, then this is your place. Carla, the manager, accommodated us in every detail. She really went out of her way to make our trip enjoyable and memorable. This is truly the best lodging for friends and family. Close enough to town, but far enough to feel secluded.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jenny M
Reviewed February 8, 2011

My wife and I and our 1 year old headed up here for a quiet weekend away from the hustle of Los Angeles. This property is located right off of the main road right in Kern. It is across the street from the local market and a short walk from a bunch of fabulous restaurants and shopping, not to mention the river. A quick drive up the road is the forest of giants (think that is what it is called).

The Cottage we stayed in was a two bedroom with a full kitchen. It was decorated to match the mountain environment that we were in. The bed was comfortable and very clean as was the bathroom. It was perfect since we could put our child down in the other room, close the door and then have some alone time with each other. This property is truly a hidden gem. The best part of it was the rate that we paid. Will definitely be going back. The worst part of the stay was having to leave to come back down to reality.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family