Whispering Pines Lodge
Kern Riverfront Lodge(Kernville)(Great Value!)
$255
$209
Sequoia Lodge(Kernville)(Great Value!)
$149
$119
Corral Creek Lodge(Kernville)(Great Value!)
$125
$120
Piazza's Pine Cone Inn(Kernville)(Great Value!)
$130
The Kern Lodge(Kernville)(Great Value!)
$110
TripAdvisor
River View Lodge(Kernville)
TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
All reviewsthe ownerthe rivera river view roomfull kitchenwonderful placecoffee makerlouisefireplacecabinpatioaccommodationshikingcamp
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I reviewed this propery in May 2011. I vowed to never stay there again, and have tried a few other motels; unfortunately, this is the nicest property in 1.5 hours.

I recently stayed again; I'm glad to report that many much-needed changes are being made. My room had brand new curtains, pillows, comforter, and a skirt. I saw carpet cleaners there the next morning. The owner indicated that the hard wood floors and cabinets, along with shower curtains, were next. I didn't have an asthma attack this time, thank goodness.

The full breakfast is fabulous: bacon, sausage, cheesy potatoes, eggs any way you like them, breads, juices, usually quiche, and a few desserts. The downside for business travelers is that breakfast is served from 8 am to 10 am.

Room Tip: Ify ou have difficulties moving about, ask for a room without stairs: 109-112. There is also one room that is fully handicapped assessible (shower, etc.).
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lepha
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Well, clearly some folks have not had a good experience here. For our part, the visit was lovely. Keeping in mind that you're probably out here to enjoy the river, perhaps doing some fishing, you have to allow for the rustic nature of the area. It amuses me that some people expect a five star bed and breakfast in Kernville. Kernville? Really? Come on folks. This isn't San Diego or Carmel. Give these people a break already.

One reviewer wrote "had to eat Cherrios with my OWN soy milk!"

That one made me laugh. The rest of the country points at and makes fun of people like that as being "typical," ridiculous, Californians. (We live in Los Angeles, btw, and love it)

We stayed here for a weekend (three nights, actually), and found it quaint and the staff lovely. They work hard, and make every effort to please. Yes, the place is more motel-like than B&B, but our rooms were clean, and the pool was fabulous. It's certainly not like a Motel 6 or Vagabond Inn. This is family-owned, and more personable than any national chain. It's rustic. It's fine. I challenge anyone to find a better place to stay in this area. Seems to me they're all in this category, or worse. Out here, you're either camping, in an RV, or staying in a place like this. And the Whispering Pines is pretty nice. We really liked it, even though we too have stayed in five-star hotels in the US and Europe. This is not that kind of place. It's simple, pleasant, and comfortable. You won't find a Hyatt up here serving lattes. Grab a raft, and go down the river. Just be careful, and wear a life jacket. The river trip is fantastic, and exactly what a city dweller needs to recharge those primal batteries. Relax and enjoy.

As for the middle of nowhere, allow me to qualify. There are restaurants within walking distance, as well as a general store. Whispering Pines is actually situated very well, including a path down to the river. Pricing is what the market will bear. It's a bit higher than we expected, but looking around, seeme to be the going rate. I actually came back to trip advisor to look for rooms, but guess what? Pines is sold out for the dates we wanted. Guess it cant be THAT bad, right? We will certainly return. Hopefully we won't bump into those Vegans. Oy.... Who travels with their own soy milk in tow anyway?

Room Tip: Be nice to the staff, and they'll be nice to you. We loved the rooms by the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank tourpilot
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The b&b is in a lovely location with a river running close by and a good pool. The rooms are spacious and ours had a large balcony. We found the rom decor to be very individual and would not be to everyone's taste. We dropped in late in the afternoon and were happy to pay a reduced rate. Between average and good we'd say.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Warning: DO NOT STAY HERE! This was our anniversary vacation. We were told it was a “very nice room”…

Before leaving home, we emphasized we needed a vegan breakfast. They told us they could accommodate a vegan diet for breakfast; they “serve them all the time”. Upon our arrival at Whispering Pines “Lodge” (it’s actually an old motel) they stated this again… HOWEVER, at breakfast, we were faced with scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, cheesy hash browns, and quiche… For over $200/per night, and I was eating Cheerios with my own soy milk.

We were also told the place was “No Smoking”. HOWEVER, smoke flowed into our room from the four smokers on the balcony next door. The sign on our room door and a card on fireplace states: “No Smoking”! We mentioned this to the front desk; they stated it is okay to smoke on the balconies…

Our room was filthy! Cobwebs were everywhere! Above the TV, sinks, shower, bath, and bed; the. shadows from the webs draped the room when the light was on at night. One large web, behind TV, was almost black with dust… The fireplace mantel was so dusty it probably has never been dusted. Additionally, the trim on the ceiling was falling off… The faucet handles on the bathroom sinks, came off in your hand. We had NO maid service in two days… (The only visitor to the room was the large spider in bathtub…).

The motel (it’s not a “bed and breakfast” as one would think of a B&B…) is in very poor condition. The paint on our deck and all the painted surfaces throughout the property have chipping, peeling paint, or paint that is completely gone... The wood chair (by the ASH TRAY) is in the same condition… Additionally, there are nails sticking out of deck boards. The bird feeders around the property were empty and both soda machines were out of order… The refrigerator in the room FROZE solid any food put inside… (There was no microwave.) The television is old with two old remotes that you need to figure out how to use (TV, cable…)…
Not only are you overcharged for an outdated, dirty room, you don’t get WIFI! When we first arrived in our room, I called and asked for the password for the WIFI and was told there was an extra charge ($6.00 per day)! Unbelievable for an already overly expensive, outdated room…

We told the front desk nicely that we would not be staying the last night; we were still charged over $100 for a night we were not there!!

Whispering Pines is whispering for you NOT to go!! It should be yelling!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank justme008
Reviewed March 28, 2012

My husband and I have been going to Kernville and Whispering Pines B&B for many years. My husband loves to fish and play golf, and Kernville has them both. Also he has taken my grandson to do White Water Rafting .Whispering Pines B&B is a nice place to stay, with comfortable beds, cozy fireplaces, and a pretty view of the Kern River.They serve a huge cooked buffet breakfast every morning, which is enough food to hold us over for the whole day. We enjoy going there when we want a place to rest and relax.

Room Tip: If you like to shop, don't go to Kernville.--- There isn't a shopping center within 20 miles of the place.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple