“New England in the mountains!”

Whispering Pines Lodge
Ranked #2 of 3 Kernville B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 28, 2008

We thought we were in New England from the service and the room decor. Spotless accommodations and a great breakfast - best of the bed and breakfasts!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mrpanoram

Reviewed January 28, 2008

I just returned from my second trip to Whispering Pines located in Kernville, CA. The room was not the most modern looking, but of course it’s not supposed to be. It is rustic but with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. That includes my bed a home. (….which I am now changing.) The working fireplace, the porch out the back door overlooking the river, and the breakfast all went to making a peaceful and restful place to spend a few days. The location is ideal for a little sight seeing if you are the adventuresome type. There is a winding road following the river that has a number of places you can pull off the road and just enjoy the sights and sounds. All in all a place I would unhesitatingly recommend to any and all of my friends. Ross Adkins

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank Nooksack
Reviewed January 1, 2008

Ernie and I spent our 15th Anniversary recently at the incredible Whispering Pines Bed & Breakfast Lodge in the Sequoia National Forest. We were greeted by Catherine who not only accompanied us to our beautiful river view “Barbra Streisand Suite” but also guided us on a tour of the property. I cannot begin to express the beauty of the grounds. The care taken with food presentation - at the gourmet country breakfast - adds to the richness of the experience at “Pines”. A pinnacle of the stay was after a long romantic walk along the Kern River and the 8 acres of tall tree and gardens - we definitely felt we were in heaven!

The suite where we stayed was very comfortable and roomy. It was quiet and had a nice view. I was a bit worried everything would be ultra Victorian, but the room was tastefully decorated and fit the atmosphere nicely.

You may ignore the remarks that try to compare this lodge to the Las Vegas Bellagio (yes, we all know you can afford a $600 per night room). The Ritz-Carleton it is not, nor a snob's retreat, a fine comfortable country lodge, it is.

From all the autographed photos in the dining room “Hall of Fame” it seems that some celebrities find the “Pines” attractive. Among those were Barbra Streisand, Jeff Bridges, Skip O’Brien, John Fogarty, Mickey Dolenz, Tom Carmody, etc. We were told that Timothy Dalton (James Bond), and his son had been guests that Summer.

What to expect? From the moment we arrived until check out, we felt as if we were the only people staying there (and that weekend, the inn was full). There was a “homelike atmosphere” that made one feel quite comfortable. The suite was well furnished with the amenities one expects.

In the morning, we awoke for a relaxing wonderful breakfast in the dining room. The manager recommended a variety of activities, including a walking tour around downtown Kernville which we enjoyed. We toured the museum, the quaint antique stores, and had lunch at the excellent family run Cheryl’s Diner. We declined the river rafting, canoeing, fishing, bicycling and rock climbing.

That evening, we dined at “That’s Italian” for wonderfully prepared food and Chianti. The owners were gracious, He is from Italy, and she, Germany. The next evening, Ewing’s Steakhouse (renamed The Broken Oar), and McNally’s were recommended. We chose McNallys, and were not disappointed…..steaks so tender !!!!

We had a breath-taking wonderful drive up the mountain to see the giant Sequoia Redwood trees, called “Trail of 100 Giants”. We were lucky, there was some snow there also. We were also lucky to see deer, squirrels, possums and raccoons.

I agree, the rooms are quite a bargain compared to other B&B’s I have stayed in. Our suite was about $300 but some of the others, a little smaller, that I saw were less than $200 per night.

You have to stay here !

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank IBenGud
Reviewed December 21, 2007

I have stayed at this lodge every year for the past eight years around my birthday. With the change in ownership, all the "special" is gone. The room freshener, the cook that used to do such a great job, the mints, etc. In an attempt I guess to save money, they are losing a good customer. The food is not homemade any longer, such as the quiches of old times, nor does the place have the cleanliness ir used to have. I have a hard time letting go of things, but I have stayed my last time there. The prices have also skyrocketed, making the cost prohibitive.

• Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Whispering Pines is a magical place that we've come back to several times now! The romantic charm of the rooms is matched by the soothing sounds of the Kern river flowing just downhill from the rooms. The rooms (we saw several) were wonderfully appointed, with a cozy fireplaces and a large decks. The breakfast was a main attraction, the best there is. The staff was very gracious and helpful.
There's one large suite which I'd encourage anyone looking for a Honeymoon suite to grab. A full apartment with huge surrounding decks, walk in fireplace and full kitchen, it also has a king size bed to die for. I understand it's been the get-away Honeymoon suite for several top movies stars.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 8, 2007

Whispering Pines is an overrated B&B

It was all the little things that added up that makes this place overrated. As a previous member mentioned, the air conditioner in our room was horrific. It was very loud and ineffective during the hottest part of the day. The staff wasn’t friendly or approachable and they made no effort to make you feel like a valued guest. The breakfast lacked any taste or creativity as compared to most B&B’s I’ve stayed at. The bed was comfortable, however the décor was “off”. The water was brownish orange (rusty) when first turned on in the morning. The only positive was the outside aesthetics. Overall, Whispering Pines is very over-priced. There’s nothing special about this B&B. I highly disagree w/ the prior-reviews, they should expect more.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Robert B
Reviewed April 27, 2007

We stayed at Whispering Pines en route from Death Valley to the coast. Kernville is on the banks of the river Kern, just above Lake Isabella. The area is outstandingly beautiful (think Brad Pitt in A River Runs Through It).

WP is deserving of its many awards. Rooms are in chalet style buildings and all have great views of the incredible scenery. Our room (106) was right by the swimming pool and directly over the river Kern.

We had intended to eat at Frank McNally's but having been told to drive only 15 minutes up the Sierra Way we eventually gave up after 30... apparently it's up there somewhere. We instead ate at The Broken Oar in Kernville. Great food (fish is flown in direct from Hawaii!) but poor service. Our waitress was Czech & had poor English. Despite the place being practically deserted & repeated requests it took 25 minutes to get so much as a drink.

The breakfast spread at WP was a veritible feast and delicious.

All in all WP cannot be faulted. We stayed in ten places on our roadtrip from LA to San Fran (going via Vegas and Death Valley), and WP was our favourtie.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple