“Great - Newly Revised Inside, Outside and All Around the Menu”
Review of The Kenwood Restaurant - CLOSED

The Kenwood Restaurant
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The best of local fishermen, farmers and ranchers on a menu reflecting the cultures that settled Sonoma County. Set between vineyards in the Valley Of The Moon, The Kenwood offers indoor, outdoor and bar dining with a pond and bocce court to relax at after or during. Chef Anthony Paone presents a menu of housemade specials that change with the season and availability to give the taste of Sonoma cooking.
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Excellent Food - the best in a long time. Each dish had a unique spin on locally grown and/or in-house made ingredients that really pleased us. The menu is short and the prices are long but there is a range of priced dishes available. The service was fast and excellent. The food got to the table almost too fast despite the restaurant being nearly full. The chef helped serve the plates and was available to talk. I don't think we've had a server remember our names throughout an evening before. The total meal experience was awesome. The noisiness of the place is still there - though there are some cloth baffles about to be installed. We didn't go to the place under the previous owner due to both the menu and the noise.

1  Thank Russ M
William F, Manager at The Kenwood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

We are glad you enjoyed your visit, Russ, and appreciate the thoughtful review. We hope to see you again soon - with the approach of summer, and more local produce coming available every day, we will have a larger and more varied selection to offer you.

Best,
Mike Gilpin
Manager
The Kenwood Restaurant & Bar
michael@kenwoodrestaurant.com

ps. If, when you next visit, you find it a bit loud, let me know. We have been using our second room for quieter, more intimate dinners (i.e., we use fewer tables in the room, seat smaller parties, and turn down the lights and place candles and flowers on the tables).

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I found the lunch menu under the new management to be short on options, and I had some difficulty making a selection. There seemed to be an attempt to be imaginative in the combination of ingredients in the various dishes, but I felt put off by most of them. However, the food we ordered was good, the service was attentive, and the atmosphere was fine, as usual.

1  Thank rivetcatcher

We are glad you enjoyed your visit and appreciate the thoughtful review.

With the approach of summer, and more local produce coming available every day, our menu is undergoing a lot of changes as local farmers, ranchers, and fishermen bring us new items daily. Please stop in again soon and enjoy the many new dishes that Chef has added to the menu.

Best,
Mike Gilpin
Manager
The Kenwood Restaurant & Bar
michael@kenwoodrestaurant.com

ps. When join us next, please take a moment to introduce yourself and say "hello" so we can put a face to the kind words.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I've had the opportunity to dine 3 times at The Kenwood Restaurant since the doors were reopened mid November under new ownership.
The restaurant and grounds have had a facelift, everything looks inviting and updated. Some of the staff have remained, so it's a pleasure to see a familiar face.
The menu has changed greatly but it's inventive and uses fresh and interesting ingredients. Every dish I've tried has been good. Because I don't eat red meat, my only disappoint thus far is that the fish dish has bacon in it. I personally would like to see more meat free dishes or at least one fish or poultry dish I would eat. I welcome the new owners and chef to Kenwood and wish them the best and hope they find a following of loyal customers and can get past all the slamming reviews from the old Kenwood Restaurant and Bar regulars who aren't dealing well with change. Favorites: Green Goddess Salad, Trout Roe on tiny new potatoes, Sardines, Chicken Liver, Smoked Chicory Salad, Roasted seasonal vegetables. My fellow diners enjoyed the beef croquette and hamburger. The specials change frequently.

2  Thank lotozzi
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We were regulars here before the sale. It was our favorite local spot. We had a very disappointing dinner tonight. I met the owner and expressed my disappointment and she didn't seem to care. This place won't last long.

3  Thank Ken M
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Some Friends here in the Valley of the Moon wanted to take us to a place of our choice, and I was eager to try the "new" Kenwood Resturant and Bar. So, we went on a Saturday night to see what kind of crowd was also checking out this newly re-opened eatery.

Things seemed to be busy enough and the staff was very friendly. We decided to eat in the bar, as they had a nice fire going. They offer several beers on tap, which we liked, but most are odd ones. The ambiance was fine and the decor looked like it was still evolving; they need some plants and more art to cozy things up.

The food came in a timely manner and the presentation was well done. We had a lamb combo dish and the lamb steak (leg slice?) was dry. The sausage and the little chop were delicious. We also ordered a beef noodle dish rather like a bourguignon, and the burger. Overall, we were satisfied.

We all agreed on a few points: the food was good, the service was great, the menu didn't offer enough options, and overall, the prices are too high. To elaborate a little, we felt that it was too expensive not only for what we got but for the area as well. Being locals, we really, really want (and need!) a place that doesn't just cater to tourists. There are some GREAT places around here that offer GREAT food and GREAT value, so we are due for one that takes things up a notch....not 5 notches! $33 for an entree? Well, if you must, but then offer several other options in the $18 - $25 range so we can enjoy an appetizer or two as well (appetizers were $14+).

Good luck to them, and we hope they modify things enough so that on cold rainy nights in the winter, the locals can support them too.

Thank H.E.