“I Love Chateau St. Jean, the gardens, the wine...”
Review of Chateau St. Jean

Chateau St. Jean
Ranked #2 of 21 things to do in Kenwood
More attraction details
Owner description: Inspired by formal estate gardens in the south of France, Chateau St Jean is the quintessential Sonoma winery that features gracious style and exquisite architecture. Founded in 1973, the winery is a pioneer in single vineyard wines and the home of the iconic Cinq Cepages.
Calgary, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“I Love Chateau St. Jean, the gardens, the wine...”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

First off I love the wine that is why we decided to go to this winery. We chose to go to the reserve tastingin the Vineyard Room which is worth the money, the other tasting was quite crowded. We had a helpful gentleman by the name of Mike, he was quite informative about the wines and the surrounding area.
As other reviews have mentioned the reserve Malbec was wonderful, we bought a bottle for our hotel that evening.
The grounds are lovely and it was just a very pleasant experience and afternoon, put this on your to do list.

Visited July 2011

NYC
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Beautiful - but a little too big/crowded for me”
Reviewed May 10, 2011

The grounds at Chateau St. Jean were beautiful, there are plenty of views, tables and shade! When we visited it was very crowded which slightly took away from the relaxing garden atmosphere. Because of the popularity, Chateau St. Jean was out of sandwiches but we had plenty of cheese & meats to nosh on. Overall I liked Chateau St. Jean, but I realize I am a small winery kind of person -- Landmark & Kunde (also in the area) were more my speed.

Visited May 2011
Ames, Iowa
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Our Best Wine Tasting Experience”
Reviewed December 29, 2010

My wife and I traveled to Napa for a long weekend. There was only one Sonoma winery I wanted to hit, Chateau St Jean. We were not disappointed. The grounds, as you approach, are breath taking. Once inside, the people were all down to earth and helpful (something we did not find a some wineries). We tasted with "the other Bob." He and another gentleman were very helpful, including giving us directions and points of interest as we made our way down the Pacific Coast Hwy.

Pay for the upgraded wines, as Cinq Cepage and the reserve malbec are worth it. Lastly, there is a very nice retail area. Chateau St Jean has marketed them selves wonderfully without being campy.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“You will compare everything else to Chateau St. Jean”
Reviewed September 28, 2010

This is a MUST SEE when in the area. The wines are second-to-none, and of course the stars are the Cinq Cepage & the Reserve Malbec. Once you've had this Malbec, it will be hard to go back to your favorite Argentinian label. The grounds are breath-taking as well, and the whole experience is the perfect marriage of scenery and sensory. Ask for Bob at the tasting--you will be delighted by him.

San Diego, CA
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Gorgeous grounds, good wines, and great shopping.”
Reviewed July 13, 2010

This winery has one of the greatest buildings/grounds in Sonoma. Good wines at very resonable prices. I usually do not taste here, I go for the shopping. Unique and wonderful vinegars, oils, art, etc. Definitely a must see in Sonoma.