“Italian Piazza and Pizza in California Wine Country”
Review of VJB Cellars

VJB Cellars
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Kenwood
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Italian Piazza and Pizza in California Wine Country”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My wife and I live in San Jose CA, better known to some as "Silicon Valley", just about 100 miles south of the Sonoma and Napa Valleys. My son and his family live in Sonoma. We have more family in the general area. We gathered, 9 of us, in Sonoma and then proceeded to Kenwood to VJB. It was Fathers' Day, so a lot of places were very busy or filled to capacity. However, the staff here pulled some tables together and we were seated almost at once. We ordered lunch, wine and appropriate drinks for the underage and non-drinkers. Unhappily, this included myself, as my doctors tell me I have used up all my "E-tickets" and thus wine is Verboten after 50+ years of indulgence! Everyone else seemed to enjoy the selections however, and the food was quite marvelous.

We sampled wood-fired pizzas; My wife had one with red grapes and bleu cheese. My son tried one with prosciutto and sausage. Both were pronounced excellent. One of the ladies ordered a salad with nuts, cranberrries and pomegranate vinagrette. I had a sandwich with a crusty roll, prosciutto, Jarlsburg and pesto. Very good! Two others orrdered a Butcher's Board, with various cheeses and charcuterie, plus candied walnuts. They shared it and it was quite sufficient for two.

I didn't go wine tasting (see above) but those who did seemed very pleased. After lunch, most of us visited the gelato concession. I had a very nice black-cherry. There were numerous selections available, and they would give you a taste if you wanted. My wife and I have made several trips to Italy: there is no such thing as bad gelato! ( I have a beautiful memory of strolling past the Trevi Fountain one warm night, with gelato cones melting and running down our hands and arms because we couldn't lick fast enough to keep up). This brought it all back---minus the melting!

At 1:00 PM the opera singers (an accordion player and two tenors) came out and strolled among the tables, rendering various operatic and semiclassical songs. They were very good, personable and seemed to be having as much fun as the diners! In summary, this is actually a relatively inexpensive restaurant for the Valleys. The quality of the food is very high, the staff is attentive (although one pizza was somewhat delayed) and the ambience on a beautiful, warm California day was superb!
Mossback

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Nice food, good wines,”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We enjoyed the wines at VJB, and ended up taking some home. The lady who helped with our tasting was very pleasant, but didn't seem to know a lot about some of the wines, or at least seemed uncertain about her knowledge!

The food was great - there is an Italian deli attached to the tasting room and a Gelato and chocolate shop. We had a cheese platter onsite, but also took some food away for later. Again, the ladies who we ordered our food from were super friendly, but not very knowledgable - for example, none of them could tell us what the cheeses they served us on the cheese platter were! This aside, the food, the wine, and the setting were lovely, so we still had a great time.

1 Thank Clare M
coppell texas usa
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Wonderful place”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We were berated as soon as we entered the courtyard. We had lunch of frittata and the pizza special. Topped it off with gelato. Then wine tasting. The wines are excellent! Some of the nicest people we met!

Oklahoma
302 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 185 helpful votes
“Seems new & not as informative”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We arrived 20 mins before closing, and maybe our taste pourer was ready to leave, as she told us what we were getting, but not much else. The most expensive wines were good. Not so impressed with the others. This was the 4th wine tasting in the area in about that many days and this was the least impressive.

Anchorage, Alaska
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Warm, delicious and friendly winery”
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Love this place from the moment we stepped onto its premises. Great place to savor an Italian cuisine and taste some delicious wines.