“Free cave tour”

Painted Ladies Wine Country Tour
Ranked #2 of 24 things to do in Kenwood
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We welcome you to visit our majestic fifth-generation, sustainably farmed estate in the heart of Sonoma County’s famed Valley of the Moon. Taste through our diverse portfolio of 100% estate produced wines surrounded by over a century of winemaking history, dramatic amphitheater of vineyards, relaxing shaded groves of Valley Oaks, and a serene reflection pool.
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Beautiful grounds, free cave tour and wine. What more do you need to know? Vanessa was very informative and entertaining. Thanks Kunde.

All reviews
in 20 reviews
"tasting area"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed November 3, 2011

I couldn't wait to visit Kunde after loving their Zinfandel which I had purchased here at home in Canada! I was not disappointed! We were just in time to join a group for mountain top tasting in the vineyards! Len was a great host and shared lots of interesting pieces of history about the winery and vineyards.

The scenery from the mountaintop was spectacular....the Red Dirt Red just yummy!! I also found lots of great Christmas gifts in the tasting room. If I lived in the area, I would definitely join their wine club!

Reviewed September 16, 2011

When I visited Sonoma earlier this month, I had one goal in mind. To find a great winery, where I liked all of the wine and join a wine club. Kunde was just this place for me.

Rick handled our tasting and while he took a few minutes to warm up to us, he ended up being fantastic! The experience was great and we tasted a number of wines, all of which were phenomenal. He also provided recommendations of other things to try.

Unfortunately, we didnt get to do the Moutaintop tasting or the Cave Tour, but I'll save that for my next visit. And, I did get to join the wine club and can't wait for my first shipment to arrive. For those considering a wine club, this is a great value and I'd recommend checking it out. The wine is all really well priced and tastes delicious!

And, the best part is that I just got a card in the mail thanking me for visiting and joining the wine club from Rick - what a great personal touch that made me happy about my decision!

Definitely recommend this winery!

1  Thank bostontraveler6
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We went horseback riding on the Kunde property prior to visiting the winery. The horseback ride was fine - not spectacular but pleasant - but the perk was a pass for wine tasting at Kunde Family Estates, right down the street. It was later in the day on Sunday and was not very busy. It was easy to taste their wine and we ended up buying a delicious bottle of Sauvignon Blanc - very refreshing for a warm summer day - and sat on their relaxing patio. We also really enjoyed the Barbera that we tasted. We were the last two on the patio and the manager was kind enough to let us stay until we finished our wine. My only complaint, when we bought out wine and went outside, we asked Rick, our host, if we could have some Grissini (little bread sticks) that they served at the wine bar to take to the patio. He acted like he was smuggling gold - seriously, he gave us an opened pack with five broken Grissini. And I get it if he's not supposed to give them away he shouldn't, but then we went outside and saw a waitress bring a whole cup filled to the table next to us. All I can say is we didn't care as it was so beautiful and it help us save room for delicious San Fran fare later that evening. I just have to say to Rick, hey man, don't worry so much, you have plenty of Grissini to go around. BTW, the manager gave us extra chocolate with sea salt which was an added bonus and made up for everything. I would for sure go back!!

1  Thank FishPicnic
See more reviews
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Went here last Saturday with friends. As soon as we walked into this winery, we were told $10 to stand and taste, $20 to sit and taste, $30 to go to the 'mountain top' and taste. Tasting fees were not applicable to purchases - I was told by the very young guy at the bar (who knew nothing about wine) that 'they couldn't possibly do that, with how much wine they give away' - Well, get over yourself - lots of other wineries do that. I decided right there that I would not be making a purchase. They would not pour a drop until we paid our fee (the $10 level) up front. None of the other wineries we visited that had a fee were that tacky. The pours were very small - smallest of the day. It was sunny and nice out and we wanted to take our teenie pours outside - well that was highly irregular!! We got special permission to stand outside the door, but the outdoor tables (which were mostly empty) were also off limits. The wine was ok, but nothing exceptional. Coming from the Bay Area, I have been to wine country dozens of times. And, I buy a lot of wine, so I know something about it. This place wreaks of attitude and tourist trap. After Kunde we went 1/2 mile up the road to Chateau St. Jean where we were greated with "Welcome!" were given very good wines (again for a $10 fee) by a highly knowledgeable and friendly staff person, and were invited to wander the grounds and the beautiful mansion to enjoy the setting. In a bad economy, with the huge amount of choices available in wine country, you would think Kunde would be a little more eager to please its customers. First time visitors to wine country will enjoy the beautiful grounds there and probably not know that there are better experiences to be had within a very short drive.