“Food, Wine and View”

Salt and Stone Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Kenwood
Reviewed May 7, 2019

This restaurant along the Sonoma Highway is a "Must" visit during any wine tasting day in the Sonoma area. The Food, the Wine, the Views; all excellent!

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed May 1, 2019 via mobile

As locals, we like to support our independent restaurants. We have eaten at Salt and Stone multiple times. We have had fantastic food and service, however we continue to find that it is not consistent.

This last time was one of those less than stellar experiences. The kitchen was beyond slow. It took a very long time to receive our lunch. When food came out it was cold for one in our party, and duck that was really dry on another salad.

We live in wine country. We understand wine pricing in restaurants. This establishment has taken the mark up piece to a whole new level. I would highly recommend taking your own wine and paying the corkage fee.

We are not sure what we are going to do about repeating our visits here. The setting is beautiful. The experience can be lovely.

Reviewed April 17, 2019 via mobile

We had been tasting in the area and needed food bad about 3:00. Not just any food ( foodies) but missed the normal lunch time. We had been told by many friends Salt & Stone was Really good.
So only Bar seating.... and that didn’t matter. Limited menu, no problem!! It was
excellent!! The mussels were sooooo delicious as was the octopus and everything else we ordered. Good wines by the glass and good service. Not average food, can’t wait to go back. Located on the main road near all the wineries.

Reviewed April 15, 2019

We had a very good dinner. The pate was good. The short ribs were cooked very well. I'd say the service was good, although the waiter seemed to want to move us along. We suggest to take a bottle of wine and pay the corkage fee.

Reviewed April 5, 2019 via mobile

We visited here while staying in Kenwood. Our waiter was stellar, food was good, but there were some issues.

I have food allergies (carry an Epipen) but as the menu spelled out what was in each dish, it seemed easy enough to 'eat around' them.

We ordered our 'standard' bar drinks (negroni and vesper) and they were great. The restaurant is known for oysters, so we ordered 4 hot (oysters casino) and 4 cold (oysters Ceviche).

The 4 hot were good, but were served in a cold chafing dish on cold salt, which sucked the heat right out of them. That was a shame - the first oyster was actually boiling hot (?microwave? Heat table?), then the 2nd was merely lukewarm.

I am allergic to fish (not shellfish). We have had scallop ceviche, crab ceviche, shrimp ceviche, and as the ingredients were listed on the menu, I assumed (yes, i know, 'assume = ass + you + me....) that the dish contained what the menu said.

Very unfortunately, there was fish in the ceviche.

I only ate 1/2 an 'oyster shell' of the ceviche before my husband stopped me - he said he thought there was not just the oyster but also fish.

We called the waiter over and, yes, he confirmed that though all the ingredients were listed, apparently, to management, ceviche = fish, so we 'should have known."

Luckily i didn't have a reaction...but they didn't take it off the bill, either.

It was a tense 20 minutes for us while I 'waited to see' if I had ingested enough to react. Time between courses was quite long, so we did know before the next course that I had 'dodged the bullet.'

The bread that we were served had been under the warmer too long and so was dried out. We mentioned this to our waiter, who immediately replaced it....but this is one of those things that shouldn't happen. The butter ramekin must have just come out of the fridge, too, as it was impossible to get a knife in. (Warmed it in my lap until it softened.)

Next we had steak tartare, which was excellent. The steak was chopped, not ground. It could have benefitted from both salt and pepper, though you are served 3 different salts on the table, and perhaps the chef presumes you will "salt it yourself." (FWIW the black lava salt worked best.)

Next we had the shrimp and scallop papardelle, which was very rich, and also excellent. We had asked for wine pairings at each course, and the wine paired very well. We had asked to share the dish, but the dishes were split for us. This was nice, but then we were assessed a split charge. As we had planned to only eat a few bites of this dish and then take it home, this was a bit disconcerting. If a kitchen "decides" to split a share for, perhaps, aesthetic reasons, that's fine...but the table shouldn't then be assessed a charge.

Finally we had the 'crispy' duck. This dish was not great. The skin was not crispy, the meat closer to raw than medium rare as ordered, and the fat was still under the skin. It was served over wild rice which was 'al dente.' The wine pairing was good.

We shared a blueberry crisp for dessert. Because the ice cream was placed on top of the topping, it had sunk down into the (too sweet) blueberry 'jam/goo' underside. Though the dessert was too sweet, the ice cream should have been somehow placed next to the topping so the topping would remain crisp. Also, as it was SCALDING hot inside, the ice cream melted nearly immediately.

As you can probably see from other TripAdvisor ratings I have posted, we eat out a LOT. I make these reviews in some part so that the management may know somewhat small things that could make a visit to their establishment a better experience.

3  Thank YourCardShark