“Lucked out”

Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kenwood
Reviewed September 2, 2014

Having never been to the wine country, I had absolutely no idea where to start. I sezarched "top 10 romantic hotels in Sonoma" and this one came up. I clicked on it and was floored by the beauty. Unfortunately, I was also floored by the price. Therefore, I moved on. Weeks later, however, after researching endless places this place showed up on Jetsetter. Heaven-sent Luck, purely. I jumped on it and I was finally over the moon excited about the trip! Thank goodness they offered this so that some people that don't have a TON of $ have the chance to get a perfect wine country experience. It definitely was the type of place I always dreamed I would stay in when I finally made the trip to this area, and I dreamed of this since I was a little girl (now 21)! They were also nice enough to honor the same price when we added on another night before we even arrived. Such wonderful customer service.
Upon arrival, we were SO happy with the location. It's not right in the middle of everything and it's one of the few places that is actually somewhat secluded and overlooking a vineyard (excluding the highway). I would perhaps recommend a sign saying the resort is coming up, though, as we passed it almost every time we returned to the inn. People also drive SO fast on this road (much to our surprise) so you don't have time to turn at the last second. I was immediately taking pics of the scenery as we arrived because it was just breathtaking. I was initially very disappointed when we walked in because we were immediately informed that Eric was not going to be at the inn through our entire stay. We read through hundreds of reviews for the inn and Eric was mentioned in the majority of them so we arrived with our plans not fully set, definitely depending on Eric's perfect execution of his role as concierge. However, Kingsley informed us that he was the assistant and proceeded to look at the itinerary I brought, copied it, and then worked around that to show us what was actually feasible to get done during our vacation (I had no idea it was so spread out!) and provided us with complimentary tastings at almost every place we were going to in Sonoma/Alexander/Dry Valley. He was so obviously knowledgeable of the area and also wines. He had quite the opinions which in my opinion really helped steer us in a good direction. We knew right away things were going to work out for us.
Then Heike the Inn's manager showed us to our room as other's had arrived at the same time, and was SO kind to even upgrade us to a higher room as I had heard all about the view from the top rooms. The 1st room we had was an older one which was super cozy and we were happy with it, but we were even more happy to get a 2nd floor room with a balcony. Definitely continued to live up to my Sonoma-Dream-Come-True. She was absolutely a delight and loved her from the start. Knows how to manage and keep people happy, that's for sure! She even went out of her way to have a cigar ready for my boyfriend when we got back from dinner since there weren't any where we were going nor at the hotel (apparently there has to be a special license to sell them at the inn). Just phenomenal service. The room was nice, a little more cold feeling than the original, but it was a newly remodeled one so I'm sure that will change with time. The real fireplace was a wonderful touch. The only downsides were the shower (drain didn't really work), no bath and also wifi but the latter shouldn't be totally necessary because if you're at this inn, you should be trying to escape from the real world!
Kingsley proceeded to help us so much with everything. Always asking us how everything went when we returned, listened intently and you could tell he really wanted to know about our experiences so he could pass along information to others down the road and also used it to gauge our interests. His advice was great and really warmed to him throughout our stay, such a sweet man and on top of his game.
Lastly on the customer service front, our bartender and dinner server was AWESOME! He was so personable and we felt like we were friends with him by the end. Major props to this guy, definitely had great insider tips and down to earth stories and background on the area. Extremely genuine, mature and helpful and stayed late just to show us a good time at the bar. We felt so lucky and left the hotel bar each night with huge smiles on our faces! So sad I can't remember his name, for someone that was so memorable! Probably because we always saw him at the very end of a wine drinking day :), but I think it was maybe Tyler?
We loved the pool although didn't get time to hang out at it during the day. It was very quiet though and looked extremely inviting. Had nice amenities (iced water) and towels to use. Did notice that all snacks and drinks were not included. For the price most people pay to stay there, I did think everyone deserves at least a complimentary glass of sparkly or something when they're at the pool.
Lastly, the spa area seemed nice but we were unable to book a treatment. There wasn't much time to squeeze that in and it's also the steepest prices I've ever seen for a spa. Granted, they do have some big awards for their spa, I do still believe there should be a special for guests.
Breakfast was very good. Things that were already layed out to help yourself to incl: smoothies, prosecco and juices, fresh muffins and scones, delish granola and yogurt, bagels/english muffins and a toaster with different toppings, coffee/tea, and probably a few more things I can't remember. That is BEFORE breakfast! There are about 5 things to choose from each morning, the same every morning. I thought the eggs benedict was by far the best. Holy cow, delicious!!! Eggs on prosciutto, spinach and a huge portobello mushroom and amazing hollandaise. YUmmmmmmm.
Dinner on the hand left a lot to be desired. The pics on the website and customer pics on trip advisor mostly showed really inviting pastas. They didn't have a good pasta dish on the menu and went with the chicken which was tiny and really bland. I was very disappointed and surprised, especially considering we decided to spend 1 of only 3 nights eating there. I would say this was our least favorite part of the entire experience and it still wasn't too bad, it was a nice setting out by the fountain and the server was someone we were glad to get to know.
I would come back here in a HEARTBEAT if I could get the same rate. I feel I need to go back because there is so much more to discover and I'd love to try the spa next time too. Grounds, services, customer service, all were wonderful. I do not believe the normal price (600$+) is totally appropriate for what is included. But for our rate, it WAY surpassed it's value!

Room Tip: Only about 2 rooms excluding the special Tuscan Suite, have a window with a view of the vineyard acr...

Reviewed September 1, 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at this hotel for a weekend event in Sonoma. First, the location is noisy as it sits on hwy 12, the main road thru Sonoma. Secondly, there is no cell coverage (AT&T) and the wifi services was inconsistent. Next, our room was ok, cold concrete floors, nice gas fireplace, mattress was extremely soft. Fourth, service & staff were very nice and accommodating.
The pool area was very nice and peaceful overcoming the road noise with a waterfall into the pool.
Overall, I would not stay here again given the noise, lack of cell coverage & weak wifi service.

Stayed: September 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eichiban
GMKIS, General Manager at Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2014

"Dear Eichiban,

It was a delight to have you with us and I thank you for your candid review. I am sorry to hear that you found our location to be over valued. Most of our guests find the nature of the Kenwood Inn to lend itself towards the less connected, "always on" world that we live in today and is in fact what most are in search of. As such, you will find the only television on property to be located in the Wine Bar. Unfortunately our wifi has been experiencing some issues due to the quake that rocked Napa and as such we are looking into repairing several of our routers, for that I do apologize. We do maintain a guest computer in our lobby which is always available to our guests, as is any phone should you need to reach out to friend or family.

The nature of the Kenwood Inn & Spa is most certainly that of a retreat: quiet, filled with manicured gardens, bubbling water features, and easy access to a plethora of top notch wineries that are just a few moments away from our courtyards.

Heike Pacchetti
Kenwood Inn & Spa"

Reviewed August 26, 2014

We chose the Kenwood Inn & Spa because a friend recommended we stay there if visiting Sonoma. After our trip; I could not imagine staying anywhere else. It is not in the center of a town which made it wonderfully quite and relaxing; but still conveniently close to the town of Sonoma or Glen Ellen. From the moment we arrived the staff was personable and friendly. They gave us a brief tour of the facility upon our arrival and we settled right in to a lazy afternoon by their pool. The setting is so beautiful and intimate. Very quite yet not stuffy or dull. The danger is you never want to leave the property.

I had called ahead and arranged some reservations & activities with Eric, the concierge. He was right on the money with his suggestions of restaurants, wineries and explorations. Megan, Christina and Kingsley, at the front desk, also gave us great suggestion and tips for our visit.

The rooms were really beautiful and simple; just be prepared that there are no TVs. (A plus) They really create a very romantic setting.

Breakfast is a real treat! Don’t miss it. We ate dinner one tonight at the Hotel and enjoyed a meal in the courtyard and then by one of the fireplaces.

I would highly recommend staying here if you plan to visit Sonoma. A really exceptional place!

Reviewed August 24, 2014

This place was perfect for us, we felt like we were in our honeymoon, the staff was beyond accommodating, the recommendations were spot on, the property itself is dreamy, the grounds absolutely great, it was a vacation we will never forget. We travel a lot and will definitely make it back here!

Room Tip: There are only a few rooms in this property and all are very unique which makes it even more perfect
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We stayed at the KIS for two nights this August as part of a roadtrip in America and could not have been more impressed. The room we had was so beautiful and well located on the courtyard. We couldn't get over the size of the bathroom (bigger than our own living room at home) and the lovely touches in the room such as the fireplace and the CD player playing Frank Sinatra as we entered the room. VERY soft bed too. Service was great, all staff very helpful and friendly and they left us a bottle of champagne to celebrate with too which was a really exciting surprise. We ate dinner at the hotel one night and breakfast both mornings and only have positive things to say - food was delicious, a real treat, and service was great too. We were both really sad to leave and I really hope we'll get to go back again for another visit in the future. A perfect place to celebrate an anniversary perhaps!

Room Tip: Rooms on the courtyard are handy for the restaurant and bar but perhaps rooms around the pool might...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
GMKIS, General Manager at Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

"Dear Kirsty,

Please allow me to once more congratulate you and dearest on your recent betrothal. It was a pleasure to have you with us, and we can only hope to see your infectious smiles gracing our property sometime in the near future. Rest assured, when you find the need to retreat to your honeymoon hideaway? We will be ready and waiting for you.

Heike Pacchetti
Kenwood Inn & Spa

Reviewed August 19, 2014

I needed a quick retreat for my wife & I on our anniversary. KIS was perfect. Close by, restaurant onsite and a spa, too. We used them all. We only could squeeze in an overnight and it was delightful!

Room Tip: Let them know your preference and the staff can pick the right room. That's what we did.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed August 11, 2014

This was a very cute place. The staff was very helpful. The grounds are gorgeous and I highly suggest taking advantage of the pools and hot tubs.

The only complaints we had to do with the windows and the noise. The windows are cute with the shutters and all, but mosquitoes get in because there are no screens. We also had to put pillows between the two sets of shutters because a LOT of light comes in if you don't.

If you get one of the rooms away from the courtyard, and upstairs, you should be fine. Everything else was great.

Room Tip: do not choose a courtyard room - very noisy. Also, try to get a room upstairs, you can hear peopl...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
GMKIS, General Manager at Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear Mogwai88,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Kenwood Inn & Spa! All of us here at the Inn are proud of our beautiful grounds and meticulously cared for gardens. I have personally taken note of your comments here so that we might improve the property even more. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Kenwood Inn in the near future.

Heike Pacchetti,
Kenwood Inn & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenwood
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
#2 of 2 in Rutherford
Ledson Hotel
Ledson Hotel
#5 of 11 in Sonoma

Been to Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!