“Beautiful place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kenwood
Nyack, New York
“Beautiful place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

Absolutely loved this hotel. Beautiful grounds....pools, courtyard and lovely room with fireplace. We were upgraded to a bigger room upon arrival which we were very happy about. Great breakfast which we enjoyed in the courtyard each day. We ate dinner there as well because we liked the atmosphere so much but the food at dinner was not great. We actually considered extending our vacation because we didn't want to leave here but they didn't have a room. I travel quite a bit and this was one of my favorite hotel stays of all time.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travel3773

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Northern CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

I would agree with the other reviewer who said this Inn was nice, but overpriced. The "midweek special" of $379 made me expect absolute luxury. I would rate the true value of the room at about $200. In addition, we had landscapers hammering away outside our room starting from very early in the morning to the early evening. This activity should have been scheduled so as not to disturb guests' sleep and peak time at the pool.

If the room had been $200 and the landscaping had been better timed, I would have given our experience 5 stars. The dining was tasty and pleasant, the staff was friendly, the massages at the spa were perfect, the pool and grounds were lovely, the room was nicely decorated and very comfortable.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — overpriced
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CotyCreative
West Country
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2008

There is so much going for this small exclusive hotel but several things - all easily resolvable if management was prepared to do something about them - that prevent one from being able to say it was the great experience it should have been. Negatives first: it is absurdly overpriced, especially in the case of some of the lesser rooms (downstairs, facing the noisy road etc; the select balcony rooms overlooking the pool have it made by comparison!). My estimate would be that rooms should be costing around $100 a night less, since this is more like an up-market Bed & Breakfast than a luxury boutique hotel. Still on the issue of prices we were charged $34 for 3 small glasses of chardonnay which is excessive particularly given the hotel's location in the winery heartland.

Our room had been described as having a balcony & view but what it had in fact was a second level back yard outside the bedroom surrounded by a high wall and a soft poncho-covered doorway (more Morocco than Italy?)'. We also had to call the manager because of a deep droning noise that was coming through our bathroom ceiling, only to be told that it was the vibration from the extraction fans for the kitchen that needed to be kept on during the day and evening. Also there was some major building work going on in the hotel right next to our room, not noisy or particularly intrusive, but it is still not nice to look out on plywood templates and netting instead of 'sun kiss'd stone' of Tuscany we had been promised. Good management requires guests to be informed of any building work in advance. In fairness, management offered to move us to an 'upgraded room' but we declined after seeing a room that didn't seem to have been used in years and that was not really an upgrade as far as we could tell.

On the plus side - and this is why the above is so sad - the room with its tasteful furniture and traditional working fireplace was lovely; cool foggy Sonoma nights with a real fire burning in the grate can't be beaten! The inner courtyard, pool areas, mill and gardens were beautiful (reminiscent of a Spanish carmen). Location near to some of the most beautiful wineries (e.g. Kunde) was perfect; management and reception staff were lovely - friendly, informed and helpful; breakfasts, too, (and the serving staff) were healthy and delicious .

So our advice to those in charge is get the glitches sorted, look towards more realistic pricing (or people won't come back) and you will surely be the owners of one of the most outstanding places of its type that people will return to time and time again.

• Liked — Lovely traditional and tasteful bedrooms
  • Disliked — lack of view; just off the main road
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank PaulWestCountry
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

We just got back from 4 nights here and were thrilled with the property, the service, and convenience to all parts of Sonoma and Napa. The pool was terrific, and they have three hot tubs - one huge one that I was in every night. The staff was always around and asking how they could help us - bringing us an iced coffee by the pool, or a late lunch.

The food was good, but I suggest going into the town of Sonoma for one of the many great spots there (the Girl and the Fig was our favorite).

The road noise was not even noticeable to us. I think there are a couple of rooms in the new section of the inn that are facing the road, but we left our balcony doors open all night and heard nothing.

We had an amazing visit, and will go back here the ext time we are in Sonoma.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carl U
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

I can't stress how disappointed I am with the Kenwood Inn & Spa. The main dinning area is under construction to repair what looked like water damage and poor building work. Our room, located in a different area, had water damage and mold all over the bathroom - Photo's 1,2,3,4 &6. The front desk never offered an apology. They only gave us the option of moving into a room next to the construction area - Photo 5.

I was so disappointed that
A.) they would put us in a water damaged room for $525 a night.
B.) they didn't tell us about a major construction project in the main dinning area a head of time.
C.)when I tried to show the front desk person pictures of the water damaged bathroon on my digital camer...she said, "Oh I don't have my glasses. I can't see anything wrong." (I have a Sony 3.5 inch wide display...one of the largest displays on the marked.) The kicker is that she never even tried to look at the camera until I said that I can zoom in. Then all I got was an "oh" comment.

I had stayed at the Kenwood Inn and Spa with my wife ten years ago when the Inn was under different management. It's really sad to see such a great place has turned into a water damaged dump with very poor management and staff.

• Liked — The location was great. The spa people were very nice too.
  • Disliked — The water damaged bathroom, the front desk person and the contruction in the main dinning area.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank aWineGuy
Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

We spent 4 nights in Napa/Sonoma area in Jan/Feb 2008. Two nights we spent at the Villagio Inn and Spa in Yountville. We decided Sonoma, and specifically the Kenwood area might be a little quieter and more laid back after Napa/Yountville. Having read about the quality of spa at Kenwood, we were convinced we wanted to stay there and try out this "world class spa." While the spa itself is certainly nice, I have been to nicer places, and I expected more, honestly. Maybe they built up the expectations too high. And for the price of the room, I really expected something cleaner and a little newer. They really need to redo the rooms. It was virtually empty (off season), and because of that you would expect they would put us in the nicest "patio" room (what we booked) on the property. I certainly hope this wasn't it! Granted, they were doing some construction, which I understand, but still . . . . Overall, the property really is lovely and the staff very friendly. The Italian/Mediterranean style is very nice. The chef was a great guy and made excellent food. The service was great, except that like others, we weren't greeted at the front.

For those of you who have been to or are interested in Villagio, it is hard to compare the two. Villagio is huge compared to this place and very different, but Villagio is newer and much cleaner. Size of room about the same. The highway didn't bother us at Kenwood, but it is close enough to kind of take away from the overall effect of such a lovely property.

My stay left me wondering what the nicer rooms were like and when they planned to redo the one I was in. If I went back to this area, I would probably try something different unless I knew everything had been upgraded. Maybe the "high class" suites there are better!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank ALTrvlr
san francisco, california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

Our first and last stay at this overpriced, noisy hotel. The problem with this place is that it is right next to a busy two-lane highway. The weather was extremely nice but you couldn't open the windows or sit on the verandah because of the distracting noise from the traffic zooming by. When a hotel provides earplugs as an amenity and charges up to $500 a night, I couldn't help but get the impression that I was not getting the experience that I thought I was paying for - a relaxing, quiet weekend vacation in the Napa Valley.

• Liked — Fireplace
  • Disliked — Location -- traffic noise
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank sfcaltraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenwood
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,272 reviews
Auberge du Soleil
Auberge du Soleil
#1 of 1 in Rutherford

Been to Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!