“Gave Us a Water Damaged Room!”

Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kenwood
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I can't stress how disappointed I am with the Kenwood Inn & Spa. The main dinning area is under construction to repair what looked like water damage and poor building work. Our room, located in a different area, had water damage and mold all over the bathroom - Photo's 1,2,3,4 &6. The front desk never offered an apology. They only gave us the option of moving into a room next to the construction area - Photo 5.

I was so disappointed that
A.) they would put us in a water damaged room for $525 a night.
B.) they didn't tell us about a major construction project in the main dinning area a head of time.
C.)when I tried to show the front desk person pictures of the water damaged bathroon on my digital camer...she said, "Oh I don't have my glasses. I can't see anything wrong." (I have a Sony 3.5 inch wide display...one of the largest displays on the marked.) The kicker is that she never even tried to look at the camera until I said that I can zoom in. Then all I got was an "oh" comment.

I had stayed at the Kenwood Inn and Spa with my wife ten years ago when the Inn was under different management. It's really sad to see such a great place has turned into a water damaged dump with very poor management and staff.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank aWineGuy

Reviewed July 12, 2008

We spent 4 nights in Napa/Sonoma area in Jan/Feb 2008. Two nights we spent at the Villagio Inn and Spa in Yountville. We decided Sonoma, and specifically the Kenwood area might be a little quieter and more laid back after Napa/Yountville. Having read about the quality of spa at Kenwood, we were convinced we wanted to stay there and try out this "world class spa." While the spa itself is certainly nice, I have been to nicer places, and I expected more, honestly. Maybe they built up the expectations too high. And for the price of the room, I really expected something cleaner and a little newer. They really need to redo the rooms. It was virtually empty (off season), and because of that you would expect they would put us in the nicest "patio" room (what we booked) on the property. I certainly hope this wasn't it! Granted, they were doing some construction, which I understand, but still . . . . Overall, the property really is lovely and the staff very friendly. The Italian/Mediterranean style is very nice. The chef was a great guy and made excellent food. The service was great, except that like others, we weren't greeted at the front.

For those of you who have been to or are interested in Villagio, it is hard to compare the two. Villagio is huge compared to this place and very different, but Villagio is newer and much cleaner. Size of room about the same. The highway didn't bother us at Kenwood, but it is close enough to kind of take away from the overall effect of such a lovely property.

My stay left me wondering what the nicer rooms were like and when they planned to redo the one I was in. If I went back to this area, I would probably try something different unless I knew everything had been upgraded. Maybe the "high class" suites there are better!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank ALTrvlr
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Our first and last stay at this overpriced, noisy hotel. The problem with this place is that it is right next to a busy two-lane highway. The weather was extremely nice but you couldn't open the windows or sit on the verandah because of the distracting noise from the traffic zooming by. When a hotel provides earplugs as an amenity and charges up to $500 a night, I couldn't help but get the impression that I was not getting the experience that I thought I was paying for - a relaxing, quiet weekend vacation in the Napa Valley.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank sfcaltraveler
Reviewed May 17, 2008

We had a very nice stay here. The grounds are very nice. The buildings have an aged patina that makes you feel like you are staying in an inn in Spain or Portugal. A previous reviewer had indicated that the inn looked dingy when there was no foliage. I can somewhat understand this comment but the combination of the lush foliage and the aged look of the buildings in early May made the place very beautiful and romantic. In Europe, there are many old inns that have this kind of old look and I can understand the previous reviewers comment. It is all a matter of personal taste. I rememeber being in Gordes, France in the middle of a very cold day and those old buildings did not look as warm and inviting as they would have on a beautiful day, bedecked in foliage and flowers.

The staff was superb. I thought that the manager was very personable and had a nice discussion with him one morning about their coffee--
which he sources from Seattle and which is quite enjoyable for those who like bold coffee and those who prefer more mild coffee. This is no small feat.

Breakfasts were excellent as was dinner the night we elected to stay in. The courtyard is a great place to have a drink or dinner and the pool area is very relaxing. There are not great views from most of the rooms but the grounds are so visually alluring that we did not feel cheated. We had no problem with auto noise from the road outside but we did sleep with the windows closed. The traffic thins out in the evenings anyway. The only constructive criticism I would have is that for our two-night stay, they gave us only one bar of soap in the bathroom so it became necessary to move the bar from the shower to the sink and back. There is shower gel provided but neither of us are big fans of shower gels. All in all, I would recommend this inn, especially during the months where it is enveloped foliage..

• Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank BigBrion
Reviewed April 29, 2008

My mother and I stayed at the Kenwood for a girl's getaway, and were not disappointed. The grounds of the inn are gorgeous, as are the surrounding hillsides. The staff was wonderful, especially Mr. Wine Bar, Lionel. We enjoyed breakfast every morning, and our room was clean and comfortable. We had several spa treatments, and enjoyed that as well.
We didn't have any major complaints, but we felt that the inn is a little overpriced. I know I'm nit-picking here, but the walls are thin, the provided toiletries are subpar, and the lighting in the bathroom is too dim.
We would certainly return to the Kenwood though. The grounds are just too beautiful to resist!

• Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank HopeM
Reviewed April 16, 2008

We honeymooned at the Kenwood in April 2007. It was, hands-down, the most amazing hotel experience we have ever had. The staff is amazingly gracious and the accomodations were perfection. Well worth every penny. The ONLY drawback is that the hotel is situated on a main-road, thus we would recommend requesting a room on the hill/away from the front of the main-building. Overall, though, far better than the Sonoma Mission Inn (we stayed there, as well) and will likely remain one of the top 5 hotels we'll ever visit.

Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2008

Like they say, first impressions always count. So when we drove up to the Kenwood Inn & Spa and no one came out to greet us, we felt a bit deflated. But hey, never mind. Not the end of the world.

The young man who showed us around the property and to our room, mentioned that the spa was "Over there, and it shuts at 5.30pm." Had he not pointed it out, and had the place not had the word "spa" in its name, we'd have been totally ignorant of its existance, for there was no leatherette-bound folder of in-house literature in the room. Oh, apart from a printed card telling you what time breakfast was. When checking out some three days later, I asked the receptionist why this was so, and she told me there used to be information in the rooms, but it got removed and not replaced. And there was me thinking it might be some trendy chic Californian thing not to bombard guests with paper-wasting printed matter!

A card in our room congratulated us on our 50th anniversary which was nice, except it was my 50th birthday we were celebrating. Oh well, never mind. But surely if we were there for our 50th anniversary, puting us in a room accessed by a long, outside stone staircase might not have been such a good idea, bearing in mind our probable ages?

Although some reviewers have classified the property as being in the European style, I dissagree. It's sort of Spanish/Mexican/Mission/Californian/rustic. well, to me at any rate. From the photos on the website it looks like a lovely place, (which is why we booked it), but on a chilly March day with no sun, it has an altogether forlorn and shabby appearance. The tiny gardens might look wonderful in the summer, but at this time of year they don't, and yes, being so close to the road does matter. We could clearly hear the traffic wizzing by at all hours of the day and night. The music playing around the gardens might be jazzy, but it did nothing to mask the invasive traffic noise, which forced us to keep the windows shut in order not to be disturbed at night.

During our two week trip to California we stayed at a number of top-grade hotels, but never did we stay at one where the staff were so invisible. The only times we saw anyone, apart from the cleaners and the gardeners, was when we checked in, at breakfast, and when we checked out. Very strange. Now some people might think this a good thing, but it made me feel sort of isolated. And when I did once have occasion to phone reception, I was put on the answer phone.

My favourite feature in the room was the fireplace. I do love to fall asleep to the crackle of a roaring, blazing fire. Being a resorceful lass, I dangled my just-washed socks on the edge of a near-by table to dry, but the cleaners took one away - I'm presuming by mistake. I didn't say anything because I was loath to get a cleaner into bother over one sock, but a bit of a nusance when you're traveling and need all your bits and bobs. When we were taking our luggage to the car on departure, the cleaners were hovering outside our room, obviously desperate for us to leave, which was a bit annoying. Why didn't they just come back in ten minutes? (Probably didn't want to climb down and then up that staircase again, that's why I guess).

The breakfasts which people seem to rave about were OK-ish. Just one dish of the day, with a variation on eggs (scrambled, poached etc). I went to pour myself a tea, and found the cup to be cracked, and the hot water, cold. For these prices it's a bit of a cheek to have to practically serve yourself at breakfast - why could'nt they at least bring you your tea or coffee?

The bed, which seemed so comfy on the first night, developed all sorts of lumpy places on the second and third nights. I guess they must use a matress cover, which when smoothed down works, but when wrinkled is vey uncomfortable.

Another niggle - no tea or coffee-making facilities in the room. When we woke I had to get dressed to go outside and down to the breakfast room to grab us two teas. How much nicer to have been able to make them in the room. And breakfast only being available for an hour and a half was a bit of a rush when you're on a break specifically to relax , chill and generally unwind.

None of the above are reasons to flee the place, never to return. But having stayed at three other locations on the trip, all of a similar grade and price, I felt that Kenwood was definately a class below what it thinks it is. And I have no gripes with the general staff - as ever it's the management who should be thinking about some of these issues.

I guess that this is the sort of place you either "get," or like me, fail to grasp whatever it is they're trying to create. Or perhaps I recognise a bit of a rip-off when I stay at one.

On checking out, the lady receptionist failed to enquire if we'd had a good time. "She must have known better than to have asked," remarked by beloved.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Fussyat50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenwood
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
#1 of 2 in Glen Ellen
Vintage House
Vintage House
#6 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!