“Wonderful for family camping”

Clear Lake State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on the shores of California's largest freshwater lake, this park features a variety of water recreation including swimming, boating and water-skiing.
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My family and i went camping to Clear Lake State Park for two nights, we staid on campsite 93 and 94.
the pros

the best one was 93, it has a large space to set up your tent (mine is for 10 ppl) and a water faucet by it. the view is nice because is uphill and you can kind of see the lake. you can go down a dirt trail for a better view and very close to the swiming area, across the bathroom etc. over all the campsite was awesome.
The bathrooms were clean, there was always toilet paper and seat covers.
lots of wild life, we saw lizards, baby deers, birds, squirells, and the occational racoon at night.
Patry like food storage in all campsite.
Convinient general store with kayak, boat and bycicle rental.
The park was clean
Perfect for family camping, kids really loved it. You can swim, kayak, hike, go on your bike, or just relax by the lake.
Took nice photographs.
Phone signal was strong.

The cons.

Lots of dog poop by the swiming area
Quiet time is strictly inforced by 10pm
The lake had some algae but not that bad.

And lastly, everybody complains about ranger Wright wich did in fact visit us around 10:10pm to quiet us down :) and also stop to ask me why werent my kids not wearing helmets while biking (they did have them, just not on lol) but seriously the ranger is just doing his job and was always polite and professional, he even invited us to take the kids to check out the visitor center.

Its a nice park for family camping, not so much if you want to be noisy having a party all nignt.

1  Thank Thelma G

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We just spent two nights at campsite 57 of the Kelsey Creek Camground and loved it! Right by the lake with a peekaboo lake view it was on the smaller side but quite private. There is a trail out to the beach that passes through the back of the site but it is separated from the campsite by a stretch of grassy swamp. People can definitely look into your site from the walkway but that is the only way that anyone can look into your campsite. Many of the other sites are much more exposed. It is also right across the "street" from the communal water faucet and just a few steps from the bathrooms/showers. As you fall asleep at night you can listen to the waves of Clear Lake hit the beach ... very peaceful! The site is not terribly big though ... you could probably fit three medium-sized tents but they would be fairly close to each other. What was also nice about the site was that it was shaded! As much as sites 58 and 59 are waterfront, I wouldn't want to spend more than a few minutes there on a 100F summer day. A lot of people have commented on Ranger Wright. We did not have the opportunity to meet him. The rangers at the park entrance were not particularly friendly when we arrived but they were also not rude and they did a great job keeping the campsite and bathrooms clean (bathrooms were cleaned twice a day!). They did come driving by two or so times in the evening to make sure people were observing quiet hours but never stopped our site so we can't speak to how friendly or not they were in asking people to be quiet. What I can say is that we had a very relaxing weekend ... no music blaring and people yelling at all times of the day and night. The camp host was incredibly friendly. We did not have a problem with algae and mosquitoes but that may be a seasonal thing. The park itself is really beautiful and well maintained. We camped with a dog and only one of the trails was dog-accessible. It was a beautiful, well-maintained trail though that meandered around the campground passing by the lake shore as well as Kelsey Slough and the marina. Given that this trail winds around a campground we were surprised by all the wildlife we saw ... herons, turtles, quail, all kinds of other birds and a deer. We encountered many people fishing and they seemed to have great luck ... we saw one group that must have caught more than 6 huge catfish. It did get fairly hot on Saturday when we went hiking at Mt Konocti which made me realize that this would not be a place for me for the middle of the summer. But if you are a water person I think Clear Lake SP would also be a great summer destination. Overall I think this is a great park and campground for a family trip ... lots of kids and opportunities for them to play independently as the beach is a safe walk from the campsite.

1  Thank annadive
Reviewed April 5, 2012

If you love painting or a lovely walk or picnic in a charming old fashioned ,unspoiled setting this is your place, bring a kayak and really give yourself a treat

Reviewed March 17, 2012

I enjoyed the park, but the mosquitoes were horrendous. It's a marshy area near the lake, and the mosquitoes were merciless. Take spray!

Reviewed March 7, 2012

I went camping here for my 30th birthday and we had a wonderful time. The campsites and restrooms were clean and spacious. The wildlife was abundant, but no bears or mountain lions.
The nature trails were absolutly facinating and the views were spectacular. You could even walk right through ancient Indian villages where their homes and sweat houses used to be. Even the mortars where they used to grind their acorns were still present.
The lake was still clear but I know it gets really green mid summer to late fall do to its ecosystem. A lot of people dont realize how old clearlake really is, scientists estimate it to be over 1.3 million years!! It sits on a large stone bottom which causes the sediment to build up.
I know the algea is unpleasent in certain spots but it is completly harmless and absolutly safe to swim in.
Park staff was very friendly and informative about the history and area. I think the rangers were doing great job about keeping noise levels down with a respectful and proffessional attitude. The last thing we wanted to hear was loud parties and drunk people at night.
I would definitly recommend camping here for families with children as well as nature lovers. There is a general store with kayaks and canoes for rent, as well as newly built cabins.
If you were to book your sites, do so in early spring or early summer. I will definitly be comming back this year and many after!!!

2  Thank Dana P