“Very Nice for June Lake”
Review of Heidelberg Inn

Heidelberg Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in June Lake
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 14, 2008

June Lake is a great little hidden gem of a town. Development over the past 20 years has passed right by this quaint town.

The Heidelberg Inn is probably the 2nd best hotel in town following the much more expensive Double Eagle resort. The Heidelberg must have been a truly amazing lodge back in the 30's and 40's, but a renovation done some time during the 70's-90's has damaged it's rustic charm with cheap paneling and wood trim. The Inn still shows off it's crowning feature a very grand four way fireplace. It is one of the most impressive fireplaces I have ever scene. Unfortunately this grand fireplace only burns fake logs.

The hotel rooms are very nice with living rooms, kitchens and Jacuzzi tubs. Our room however had a musty smell and a broken heater on the first night which was repaired for the 2nd night.

We would certainly stay here again, but feel sorry that such a grand hotel is not treated the way that it deserves to be treated.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank patrickfinley
karen_okeefe, Resort General Manager at Heidelberg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2009

Yes, the Heidelberg Inn was and still is a truly amazing 80 year old lodge with plenty of rustic charm and original architecture remaining, and yes, a little mustiness when a room has been closed up for some time.

The wood burning fireplace was converted to gas many years ago when electric heaters were in stalled in the guest units. How ironic that yours needed repair! We're glad that we were able to provide a quick response to your minor problem. Also, the amount of wood that would be required to fuel the fireplace would not go well with our Company's efforts to go green. Hence, fake fire, fake logs.

Thank you for your response. We were happy to have you.

Reviewed August 22, 2007

We stayed at the Heidelberg Inn during the week of July 4th. Our room was comfortable with 2 adults and 2 kids staying in a one bedroom. They've been upgraded recently and the sleeping accommodations and bathroom were good. My main complaint is that the hotel does not have air conditioning and does not have good air flow. Since it was 90+ degrees when we were there this had a big impact on our time there. We ditched out of our room by 9 AM each morning and tried to stay gone as late as we could. Our room was at the front of the hotel so had a lovely view of the lake with 2 windows. However, the only way to get the air into your room was to keep the door open. Imagine a hotel where everyone is keeping their door open to try to cool off. Because the hotel was built in the 1930s and primarily to keep out the cold, it is virtually impossible to get air into the lobby either. They prop open the doors and everyone is given a box fan to try to move air but it was hot, hot, hot. On top of that, because you have to keep the windows open, you're very conscious of the outside noise. There's a restaurant/bar directly in the front of the hotel which is a good place to eat, however at 1-2 AM I really wanted the loud drunks standing on the sidewalk to just go home. I complained to the staff at the front desk of the Heidelberg and said I was going to call the manager the next night to let her handle it and she said her manager didn't want to be waken up in the middle of the night. Well, neither did I! Calling the bar didn't help because it was so loud they couldn't hear the phone. The next day I spoke with the manager and she was sympathic but I had to call the bar each night to ask them to quiet down. It affects the entire front of the hotel which is also the view side. The quieter back side faces an alley/street. The hot tub was 115 degrees so no one used them when we were there. We relaxed on the patio for one evening but a huge family was staying in one of the 2 rooms that adjoins the patio, so they monopolized the patio as if it was their private patio. The town of June Lake is very small. You can walk it all in about 5 minutes! We pulled our boat over and there's not much hotel parking either. Only 2 of the lakes allow you to go over 15 mph so we spent our entire time criss crossing one of the lakes. The water is very cold and refreshing when it is hot. On the plus side, crawfishing at 10 PM around the docks was fun for the kids. They're easy to scoop up. Pack food because the restaurants are limited and very expensive at the local market. Mammoth is about 20 minutes away so we basically slept at June Lake but spent almost every waking moment away from there. Yosemite was a highlight but extremely hot in July. Winter is probably a different experience, but next time I'll stay in Mammoth.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelingFamily44
Reviewed June 21, 2007

We stayed here one night for our 2-day Yosemite trip. The location was quite convenient for the planning of the trip: we arrived at Yosemite from San Francisco area around noon, looked around the Yosemite valley and the Glacier point on the first day. Then we drove to June Lake and slept at Heidelberg inn. On the second day, we saw June Lake, Mono Lake, Tioga lake and all the nice vista points along the Tioga pass. Nice alternative to other Yosemite lodgings, which are usually expensive and hard to find. We just felt sorry that we didn't plan enough time for June Lake, as we didn't know beforehand the area was that beautiful.

The rooms are quite roomy and tidy. The sofa bed was quite comfortable. The exterior of the hotel doesn't look that superb, but the interior is warm, classic, and cozy. They provide free welcome package, which includes some energy bars, coffee, tea, etc. They seem to hold special fun events on select days, although we were not there on a right day.

The only complaint we had was with ExtraHolidays, which takes care of reservations here. We initially asked for a 2-bedroom unit, but they changed it to two 1-bedroom units. This change itself didn't upset or surprise us, because this is not a usual hotel but vacation house rooms temporarily available for non-owners. But ExtraHolidays didn't notify or ask us in the change process at all. They should have consulted us before making the change, because the change involves change of number of admissable people and also the room charge. They made the change about a month before the trip. But they told only when I called them for a final confirmation a few days before the trip, and the operator guy sounded quite snobbish, as if he was doing a big favor when he was notifying me of the change.

Except the complaint about Extraholidays, we liked Heidelberg Inn a lot. Nice place to stay for a trip to Yosemite, or maybe June Lake itself.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank fly2thesun
karen_okeefe, General Manager at Heidelberg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that a minor inconvenience with the rental booking agent did not ruin your trip. Although the Heidelberg Inn is a time share resort and our time share owners are our priority, we are always willing to assist with issues arising from our outside booking agencies. We hope to see you back here again soon.

Reviewed May 11, 2007

This was the second time we've stayed here. The staff is always pleasant - even when my children went up to the front desk 4, 5, 6 or more times a day to request different items. (They keep a stock of games, crayons, VCRs, etc. that families can check out.)

The scenery is lovely. Our room had a small deck that we sat out on to watch the world go by. There's also a large deck with BBQs to cook any fish you catch. My husband tried out the hot tub and sauna and found them to be in good working condition. There's a HUGE fireplace in the center of the lodge. The big screen TV next to it is open for anyone to pop in a family-friendly movie.

The Manager was very knowledgeable on the local attractions (fishing holes, tourist attractions, etc.) and also had literature that we could rummage through.

The entire place is very clean. The bedrooms in the units are a little on the small side but we don't spend much time in the rooms anyways. Really, the only complaint we have is the beds which are terribly HARD. Not very comfortable to us. The huge tub was wonderful to soak in. The only complaint my teenagers had was the TVs - not big enough and not enough selections. As parents this is a plus to us. Just forces them to find something to do outside.

There's a couple of restaurants within walking distance. However, at this altitude it's quite a walk! The candy shop is always a plus with our kids. The little local grocery store is over priced so major shopping should be done in Mammoth or another town nearby.

We are a family of five and definitely have a hard time finding a place that we ALL enjoy. Heidelberg Inn definitely fits our bill pretty well. There is SO much to do and all of the locals are SO helpful. The little movie store (again within walking distance) has a gal running it who knows TONS of places to visit that are off the beaten track. Just ask...

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank pest003s
karsie37, Resort General Manager at Heidelberg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2007

Thank you for such a terrific review. I agree with your attitude regarding the televisions. It frustrates me to no end to hear guests complain about cell phones and internet when there is so much to do and see! Put technology aside for a week and really relax in the great outdoors! Glad we could provide something for everyone and your family had a memorable experience with us. You have provided us with one of the greatest compliments by coming back. As far as the beds being too hard, some like it hard, some like it soft - everyone has their own preference, and, for every too hard comment I have a too soft comment to match it.

Reviewed April 22, 2007

My family recently stayed at Heidelberg Inn, June Lake from April 14- 21, 2007. I wasn't too excited about the place due to photos posted on its website. The photos looked outdated and didn't have any charms. However, when we arrived, we were glad to see that the photos on its website were "really outdated".

The lobby was something you would see in a movie. It had a huge stone fireplace with a full size stuffed bear and a dear head. The fire place was big enough that you could walk through it. Also, the walls of the lounge area were decorated with black & white photographs of movie stars from the 30's - 50's who were regulars at this classy place.

Customer service was also above and beyond. Check in was easy and speedy. People who worked at the Inn were very friendly and eager to please its guests. Janice was especially helpful whenever I needed something. She even stayed longer for the Rootbeer Float night so that my family didn't miss out coming back late from our dinner.

The room was beautifully decorated. It appears all of the rooms were recently remodeled with granite top, new kitchen & bath cabinets/appliances, and new furniture & carpet. However, the room need some colorful paint job instead of boring dull white walls. I would love the opportunity to repaint the rooms in exchange for free stays!

Anyhow, my family (wife & 2 kids), mother in law, and uncle Art, really enjoyed staying at Heidelberg Inn. I would highly recommend anyone visiting June Lake or Mammoth area to give it a try. Mammoth is only 20 minutes away and it's perfect location away from the hustle and bustle of Mammoth but not too far.

Town of June Lake is very charming and its residents are friendly to all it's visitors. Local restaurants are great and the view of June Lake is just magnificent.

We are planning our second trip to June Lake in May...can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank sftonykim
karsie37, Resort General Manager at Heidelberg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2007

Thank you for such a positive review and for mentioning an outstanding employee by name. We pride ourselves on our nationally recognized customer service.

Admittedly, our web photos are terribly outdated. The rooms have been remodeled within the past two years. It is quite a challenge tracking down all of our photo representation to have it updated, but we're sure trying.

We are glad your family had such a memorable vacation and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 25, 2006

We visited The Heidelberg Inn fron England in May, 2006 and had a wonderful stay. Karen Resort Manager) and her staff Lisa, Janice etc. were very friendly and helpful. We initially had a rear two bedroomed apartment, but there was no problem changing to one at the front of the property with wonderful views and a large shared deck, the following day.
We would call June Lake a small town or village and this time of year definately geared to fishing. The scenery is wonderful, the weather certainly helped, cloudless blue sky each day and temp. in the 70's.
One word of advice and caution for Europeans travelling to this area. We were expecting to be able to drive into Yosemite from June Lake, the Tioga Pass entrance is only about 20 miles away, however, on our map it does state 'closed in winter' on this side of Highway 120. We expected the pass to be open in May (spring) but it was still closed so we had a 7 hours drive (approx. 300 miles) to the western side of the park. Karen at The Heidelberg told us the pass didn't open until early July last year (2005). Something to bear in mind.
Anyway there is plenty to see and do in the area and we had a great stay at The Heidelberg Inn.

• Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank PGH9
karsie37, Resort General Manager at Heidelberg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2006

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is wonderful that you were able to see Yosemite despite the round about way of getting there. We encourage potential visitors to contact us directly at the resort for this type of information as it can make all the difference in your stay. Regardless, you seemed to make the best of it and enjoy yourselves. We hope you will visit us again.

A TripAdvisor Member
Murrieta, CA
Reviewed September 30, 2005

My husband and I were very excited to get away for a much needed vacation -- our first in years. We booked through a third party reservation service called Resortime and we were guaranteed a room for a Mon-Fri stay. When we checked in, we were advised that Wednesday night of our stay was overbooked and we might have to leave the hotel midway through our trip -- not what you want to hear when you're planning on a relaxing break! The hotel manager was apologetic laying blame with Resortime. Resortime indicated that the hotel failed to notify them of the availability (or lack thereof) of rooms. By the following day, we were notified by the hotel manager that we were okay and that our stay would be uninterrupted as originally planned - Whew!

Well, when we got home, we discovered that we had been billed TWO erroneous charges for the Wednesday night of our stay. The entity that billed us was Extra Holidays, yet another booking service for the hotel and one with whom we had zero prior contact. I can only assume that in trying to remedy our reservation problem, the hotel manager provided our credit card info to Extra Holidays who then billed us inappropriately. I made in excess of a dozen calls to both Extra Holidays and the hotel manager at the Heidelberg Inn over the following several weeks. I was assured on more than one occasion that my credit had been processed. On my second to last call to the hotel, I was advised that Extra Holidays was actually sitting on my credit but that they would expedite it and that I would receive a credit by the following Monday -- that was almost 2 weeks ago and still nothing. I finally had to dispute the charges with my credit card company.

The inn is nice and comfortable. June Lake is a quiet, beautiful location. While the staff at Heidelberg Inn was pleasant, the problem with my reservation together with all of the hassles surrounding the bogus charges and failure to rectify the problem in a timely manner leaves a bad taste. Service is how you are treated not only before and during your stay but also after -- esp. when there is a problem. The frustration I have endured trying to remedy the errors made during our stay detracts from whatever enjoyment we had while on vacation. Next time, I'll stay someplace else.

• Stayed: August 2005
Lake View Lodge
Lake View Lodge
#2 of 4 in Lee Vining
Double Eagle Resort and Spa

Been to Heidelberg Inn? Share your experiences!