“Shame on you Double Eagle”

Double Eagle Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in June Lake
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had a very unfortunate visit that seems to be getting more unpleasant: Our car was essentially totalled by a bear; management was indifferent and the young blonde woman at the front desk seemed to be smirking about our misfortune.

The shortest version is that we are aware that bears can be a problem IN YOSEMITE-- but had no idea that the problem was as extensive or had spread well beyond park boundaries.

One window was ripped out and all four doors had to be replaced.

The maintainance crew was great, helping us patch our car together to get back over the mountain but also told us that the bears at this time of year were voracious, fattening up prior to hibernation and had damaged another car the week prior.

Thanks for the heads up--NOT!

There was a sign--about 8x10--that was NOT especially noticeable. (Could they maybe make it smaller?)

The owners reaction--days later 'the other people who's cars were damaged took responsibility'. . . .to which I responded 'other people, why didn't your staff warn us of the imminent danger?" --her response was essentially "Tough luck" (and --hey--thanks for the timely call back).

Upon my request she did commit to 'making a better effort of warning customers of severity of the bear problem in the area'

We won't ever be back nor will we encourage our friends to visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank reinrag5
There are newer reviews for Double Eagle Resort and Spa

Reviewed February 2, 2013

June Lake is a beautiful part of California and worth a stay if you are skiing Mammoth or on the way to Lake Tahoe. We stayed in January and received a discount on their normal and busy Summer rates. Guests enjoy free use of the indoor pool and gym. The restaurant is brilliant and if you are staying at the resort an easy choice. Prices are reasonable and even better if you eat on "locals night". There is also a happy hour at the bar. Great chalets with incredible views, all ashort drive from June Lake township.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Svensky
Reviewed January 1, 2013

For the price we paid per night (approximately $250), we felt the room could be a little bit better appointed. We stayed in room #15 (I believe) back in September 2012. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to operate the overhead fan and light combo unit. Either it was working, 'cause none of the switches made it turn, or the switch is located at an unconventional area. Either way, we made use of the desk lamps and they provided sufficient lighting for our comfort. The rooms are nice and spacious, but nothing spectacular. Besides the annoyance with the overhead lighting/fan unit not working, other minor attention to details are overlooked by the staff. For example, the toilet paper holder is loose and jiggles upon contact. For a room that commands $250/night, this should not have been an issue.

Annoyances aside, the resort is beautiful and sits at the foothill of mountainous peaks. It is located at the western-most side of June Lake, secluded from touristy noise and attractions. The room is appointed with a gratuitous walk-in shower followed by a nice jacuzzi. You pay more for the prime tranquil location than for the accommodation, in my opinion, but the upgraded amenities in the bathroom in itself is worth the premium in my opinion (especially after a long day's hike up Yost or Fern Lake, or a drive up to Bodie). The rooms are built around a path that wraps around Ron's Pond, a small pond with trouts that you can try your angling skills with (but must release). For our stay, we received two $8.00 coupon good towards breakfast at the Eagle's Landing Restaurant right at the front of the property. Dinner was okay to say the least but breakfast was spectacular. I had the Mountain Man's Steak & Egg cooked medium rare with sunny side up eggs. Best cheap steak I've ever eaten - truly! We'll definitely return for more Eastern Sierra adventure.

BTW, since the resort is surrounded by wilderness, be sure to close your car's windows at night. The place is laden with raccoons and other wildlife (deers, bears). I saw paw prints all over my car from coons in an attempt to reach inside my slightly open car windows.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oo63
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here llast September, just for one night. It is in a fantastic location and generally the hotel is very good. The room that i had could do with some updating but it was clean. Food was very good and the service was excellent.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MisterJames
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I can't comment on the value of the cabins - it met our needs, though was quite pricey. You pay for location far more than anything close to luxury.

My complaint is the spa, where I had the laziest massage of my life. I gathered from my requests that the therapist go a little harder that I should have paid for the upgraded deep muscle tissue massage, otherwise I was just going to get gently rubbed. It was actually annoying to have someone basically PET me while she complained about her wages and yammered on about how much the local people resent the tourists who come through town wanting to trick her into getting an actual massage. "We don't play that game." were her words. Awkward.

I didn't want a deep muscle tissue massage and I DO know the difference. Really, the worst spa experience I've ever had - couldn't wait to leave.

My cousin had a massage (I'm sorry I don't know what rate she paid for what kind of massage) and she said it was fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SpaProf
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a great two bedroom cabin, $305 a night. The cabin looked new inside and out. A fireplace with wood stored close outside in a storage closet.

Full kitchen, however I did not notice a dishwasher. Two bedrooms, on queen bed and the other with two twin beds. Both bedrooms were well appointed and comfortable.

There is a single bathroom, with a shower-tub.

There is a spa on location that we did not use. A restaurant is also on the property serving the three meals a day.

This location is not in the main portion of June Lake downtown area, it is a couple of miles south of the town and lake itself.

There is a small pond on the site and they allow the guest to fish (catch and release) in the pond. Since this is trout country I am guessing you would be fishing for trout, we did not bring fishing equipment and did not fish.

There are very cute wagon wheel seats set about the entry area that make for great photo ops.

Room Tip: The cabin we had was Sierra 11 and did not have a view. I noticed other cabins near the pond that w...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank IrvineTraveler71
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We have visited June Lake California for many years; it is another one of our favorite destinations. June Lake lies directly to the east of Yosemite National Park-Yosemite Valley (across the Sierras) and 15 miles north of Mammoth Lakes, CA. It is much less commercial than Mammoth Lakes and actually consists of four lakes; June Lake, Gull Lake, Silver Lake and Grant Lake. The loop is only 16 miles long of beautiful lakes and mountains.
Most of the accommodations are rustic cabins/lodges and quite old; there are a couple of motel types that are also older. I have found the best accommodations to be either through Rainbow Ridge Reservations (800-462-5589 or http://www.rainbowridgereservations.com/) for a condo or at the Double Eagle Resort & Spa.
The Double Eagle Resort and Spa is probably the newest and most full service lodges in the area. The accommodations consist of four two story, four unit buildings called their Resort Rooms and about 16 cabins (119 and 120 overlook the duck and trout pond) 101 to 114 are in the woods. We have only stayed in the Resort Rooms, which are nicely furnished; they include a phone and flat screen TV. The bath has a spa bathtub and separate shower with a rain head type shower head. The spa includes a large indoor pool and indoor/outdoor lounging patio. We found everyone on the property very friendly and accommodating.
They have a very nice restaurant, The Eagle’s Landing, on the property; the servers are personable, attentive and attractive. The menu has a good variety of selections on their menu. Our room included a $8 breakfast voucher for each of us.

Room Tip: Resort rooms in building 115 may be the quietest since there is only one Resort Room building next t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
#7 of 7 in June Lake
Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
#3 of 31 in Mammoth Lakes

Been to Double Eagle Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!