“A Great San Diego Getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Orchard Hill Country Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Julian
Orchard Hill Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Julian B&B and Inns
El Cajon, California
“A Great San Diego Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

While we visit Julian on day trips often year-round, we try to time our overnight stays here with the somewhat rare snowstorm in San Diego county. We have always been well taken care of and enjoyed our stays immensely. The cottages are very well appointed, comfortable and most, if not all, have a fireplace. The only problem was that the heater fan was somewhat loud and the winds from the storm caused loud noises in the chimney flue. There were hosted appetizers and beer or wine in front of a warm fire in the beautiful lobby area at the main building. The inn is a short walk to the bakeries, shops and restaurants in Julian. Every winter, my wife and I will be looking forward to returning to this wonderful inn.

Room Tip: The cottages are quiet and private.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

For me, Julian is a great place to go if you want to get away and stay in the country. I think this inn is probably the best place to stay in Julian. I think it is a beautiful building and attractively furnished. The lobby is very comfortable. I like all the large windows and views of the town in the restaurant. The service is really excellent. Breakfast was very good, especially those delicious scones. The very good wine, vegetables and cheeses and dips in the afternoon were great as well. We had room #1 in the main lodge and it was nicely furnished and had a king size bed. We liked that it was just down the hall from the lounging area. The wood-burning fireplace was always on and added to the ambiance.

The weather was unseasonable during our stay - miserably cold and damp. Therefore we had to use the wall heater in our room a lot and it was so noisy. It didn't have a thermostat so it just stays on and blows room temperature air after the room is warm enough. Because of it's noise, we kept it off during the night and just used a lot of blankets to stay warm. Because of that, our room was extremely quiet. I would rather stay here when the weather is such that you don't need the heater or air conditioner. The first morning of our stay, after taking a shower, my husband recommended that I take a bath because the water pressure was so low. We are used to a lot of low-flow showers when we travel, but for the first time ever, my husband used the sink to wash up the second day because he felt the shower was so useless and he does not like baths.

This was our second visit here. On our first visit, our pricing mandated that we have dinner here one night. My husband's beef was dry and overcooked. For that reason, it has taken me a few years to talk my husband into going there with me again. On our second time there, we bought a package with a very reasonable price through living social. It included a voucher towards dinner, so we ate dinner here again. We both ordered the pork tenderloin and were told by our waiter that it is usually served pink in the middle so that the meat stays moist. However, it was served overcooked and was dry. I've read the rest of the TA reviews, and see that no one else has commented on dried out meat, so I guess it was just ours. I agree with other reviews, that it would be nice if their restaurant was open every night. Also, it would be nice if their were choices for dessert, salad and appetizer.

This is a great area for walks and hikes in the state park. Because of the cold weather, we went on drives instead. The countryside was beautiful. I hope it doesn't take me another two years to talk my husband into coming back here. In spite of the few flaws I mentioned, I really enjoy this inn.

Room Tip: If you want to stay in the main lodge, Room #1 is the largest, nicest and has a king size bed.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lovetotravelSanDiego
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

This B & B is one of the best we have stayed at. The grounds are beautiful and well landscaped. The cottage rooms are nicely appointed ( except for small TV) and very spacious. A bonus is the dining room. The complimentary breakfast offers many options and the dinner we had was excellent. Be sure to eat in the restaurant. The complimentary happy hour included two drinks , nice cheese crackers and fruit and an opportunity to meet other guests.
The only downside to this resort is that it is in Julian. A town with many junky tourist stores and mediocre restaurants. Not much to see or do.

Room Tip: Choose the cottages rather than the lodge
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BillMaryIrvine
Walnut, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

Went on the spur of the moment - Called Saturday morning and got right in that day. Arrived around four to find a very well maintained facility with an exceptional staff. To a person, every staff member was cordial and well trained. The owners came down for afternoon h'ordeuvres and took the time to greet everyone. Room was clean, perfectly appointed and comfortable. We opted to eat dinner there and had the tenderloin, which was excellent. Breakfast was a buffet, but had high quality items including the thick bacon and freshly baked apple bread. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We had room 6, in the main building. Pictures of each room on the website. We liked being inside the...
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

My Wife and I recently celebrated our 38th Wedding Anniversary at the Orchard Hill Inn. Like others, I wasn't sure what to expect, but both my Wife and I were pleasantly surprised! We stayed in the Valmore Room (absolutely beautiful!) for 2 days and were treated like royalty. Dinner was very nice, a 4 course meal ($38) and was prepared very well. Unfortunately, if there is a "draw-back" it is that the restaurant isn't open nightly but there is breakfast each morning and they do it quite well! We had the pleasure of meeting the owners who were very gracious and warm! We enjoyed the town of Julian and had a wonderful time exploring! I HIGHLY recommend this fine establishment for anyone looking to get away with their loved one!

Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stayed here in March 2012 after purchasing a Living Social voucher. I wasn't sure what to expect but I was quite pleased with our stay. The breakfast was amazing (omelette was delish as was the apple bread). My husband loved the homemade granola. They have an afternoon happy hour which includes 2 glasses of wine and a selection of cheeses, veggies, nuts, and fresh fruit which was very tasty and fresh. Dinner was good but a bit pricey in my opinion. We paid an extra $100 for a cottage room and it was a very nice , spacious cottage. The town is really small- not too much to do there but we took a day trip to anza borrega for some hiking which was a lot of fun. The drive itself was beautiful albeit the roads are very windy!

The people who work here were very gracious and welcoming. We met the owners, Pat and Darrell, the night we had dinner and they were very friendly and interesting. They clearly put a lot of time and love into this inn and it shows.

Overall we had a great time and would definitely recommend this place to others!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank rab101
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

This place was awesome...why?
1) The staff provides excellent service.
2) Dinner was delicious - 4 course meal ($38) was reasonable. Pork chops was so succulent and the apple galette was good finish to a great meal. Bad news - dinner is not available every night.
3) Breakfast - freshly baked scones, apple bread, eggs ole, apple bacon, homemade granola. YUM!
4) Rooms are large, comfortable & clean. We didn't need to use the heater much, but if you do (gets awfully cold in the winter) it is extremely noisy and it doesn't have a thermostat.
5) The grounds is good for relaxing - bring your wine glass & brie/crackers...sit by the pond & if you're lucky a wild turkey will come by.

Julian is famous for pies and will most certainly not disappoint. During the off-season, there isn't much to do here and with the exception of restaurants, the town is done for the day at 5 PM. Not too many choices for dinner. We were here for 2 nights & would have been happy to have had dinner here both nights but unfortunalety that was not an option.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Julian
La Casa del Zorro
#9 of 11 in Julian
Oak Hill Inn
Oak Hill Inn
#6 of 11 in Julian

Been to Orchard Hill Country Inn? Share your experiences!