“At Home in Julian”

Ranked #2 of 11 Julian B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“At Home in Julian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2011

Our annual girls' get-together met in Julian last year. We chose The Julian Hotel because of pre-scheduled events in the area. Our rooms were cute and comfy, breakfast was truly delicious. The afternoon tea was refreshing and provided a perfect opportunity for us all to meet, talk about the day and make plans for dinner. We were treated exceptionally well by everyone, from front desk staff to housekeeping. The location is right in the middle of town, giving us us the freedom to go our separate ways to explore varying interests. When it was time to meet up, we were only a five or ten minute walk from one another. We are photographers and caught innumerable timeless images in Julian.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank curiousrain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

I loved this place, but I knew I would before I even got there. After multiple trips to Julian and always eyeing this property, my husband and I finally made a reservation. We stayed on a Friday night for one night. We arrived too late for afternoon tea, so I can't comment on that. Parking was not a problem. Check in was prompt and friendly. We stayed in room 17 on the first floor. I booked this room because it has a tub, but the drain wouldn't hold water and I was disappointed with that. Also, this is the only room in the hotel that doesn't have wifi. I didn't mind having wifi because you can get it in the parlor, but some might have a problem with it. Other than that, it was fabulous. No tv's or phones in the room and the solitude was great. We played games in the parlor that night and enjoyed breakfast the next morning. The hotel is very quaint and historic. The staff was very friendly. The room was small, but that's what you get with a historic hotel. It was very clean and cute. We had a nice porch area looking over main street. I was sad to check out the next day and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aimeejoy
Temecula, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

My husband and I decided to travel away from home for Thanksgiving this past year since all of our children have grown and had plans of their own.

I booked a two-night stay at the Julian Gold Rush Hotel / B&B

From the moment we arrived, everything about our stay went smoothly.

**Parking may be the only issue if you arrive during downtown business hours. However, once the shops all close for the evening, you can relocate your vehicle to a spot right in front of the hotel**

When we arrived, we were concerned as we could not gain access into the hotel.
A ring of the doorbell summoned the inn keeper and we were welcomed into the foyer. Checking into the hotel was hassle-free. We were provided with a key to the front entrance (which is wonderful...all the tourists who are not registered guests do not have entry into the hotel).
We were also permitted (actually encouraged) to go upstairs and select the room we wanted to stay in !!! That was a wonderful treat... each room is it's own jewel !!!

We chose to stay in room 11 based on prior review I had read as well as the overall charm of the room. Two windows in the room offering views to the side and front of the hotel. Windows in the bath with views to the side and rear of the property.

The rooms do not have clocks, radios, or televisions. So do not stay here if you need technology fixes from time to time. But, if you want relaxation, this is a perfect escape. Take the time to talk, get to know people, spend some time rediscovering yourself, your spouse, read a book, take a nap...and just relax...

Do yourself a favor and explore your room !!! You never know what you might find !!!
My husband and I now belong to 2 secret societies due to our sleuthing efforts...

Every room, foyer, parlor have authentic, antique furnishings. While we were there, the hotel was decorated for the holidays, and everything was festive and beautiful.

Every morning greets you with a complimentary breakfast; starting with the hotel's signature granola. Now, I am not necessarily a fan of granola, but I wanted more !!! The egg dishes they serve are equally delicious and filling. Juice, coffee, and tea.
Every afternoon offers tea in the parlor. Tea includes: tea, coffee, and while we were there, warmed apple cider. Cookies and scones were also in ample supply. While at afternoon tea, be sure to mingle and meet the other patrons. I did, and I had the pleasure of meeting an older gentleman who told me stories of spending time as I child in Missouri...with Laura Ingalls Wilder, author of the Little House On The Prairie books.

Visit the hotel's website and read about the history of the hotel. It will make your stay richer. Also, while you are in Julian, take the self-guided walking tour. You can pick up the tour card at the town hall ( cards are on the front porch of the town hall, so you can pick them up any time). There are several cards with different clues, so take a friend or two and make sure everyone gets a different card. You will be guided through town to obtain information from different plaques relating historical and interesting facts.
Turn in the completed card at town hall for a chance to win $50

Make sure you have some hot apple pie at Mom's while you're there. And if you visit ANY winery tasting room, try Witch Creek Winery just up the street....Say hi to Tina and be sure you try the Honey Run wines...

We are returning soon to have a vow renewal complete with period costumes ,,,,a visit here truly feels like stepping back in time.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jimzgrl
Tracy, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

I have stayed here every year for seveal years in the summer It is consistently a delightful experience. The rooms are old fashion, decorated with antiques. Lace and doilies are everywhere. I feel like I am visiting my grandma and for me that is a good thing. Don't look for the TV, radio or an internet connection, there isn't one. This was a surprise to me the first time I stayed and have come to love it. If you can not completely cut the communications umbilical cord, my phone signal was good and 3G access was good on my ATT phone. The morning starts typicaly with a breakfast of thier signture granola cereal, fresh fruit, an omlet with mushroom sauce and fresh baked bread (Yum) served by the friendliest staff you could hope for. The town is small and very walkable. If you want to see the town and shops do so before 5 pm since everything closes at 5 with the exception of the restaurants (also very good but that is another review). If I had to say what I liked best It would be the Homelike atmosphere and friendly staff. the thing Iike least???

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank pdcurtin
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

My husband and I found this place on accident while on a motorcycle ride. We never make reservations and seem to have the best of luck at finding great places. I was concerned about all the staircases around the building. I tought it would be noisy. It wasn't. There was very little foot traffic, my husband noticed, but I didn't. The staff seem anxious to provide good service, yet the service is still very homestyle. The breakfast wasn't gourmet, but it was the perfect healthy size and served with such care in such a wonderful setting, that I would've enjoyed it no matter what. True, the rooms are small, and my husband is a very big man, but for couples, this is fine, because it just gives you more reason to stay in bed. Great books in the parlor. We woke up early and took an amazing Harley ride to Anza Borrego and still made it back in time for breakfast. I didn't notice the lack of TV or radio until I read the other reviews. There is little to no nightlife in Julian, so wear yourself out during the day so you can go to sleep early, or else you will go stir crazy. Also, there isn't a laundrymat in town, so bring plenty of clean clothes. Not such an easy task for Harley riders who pack sparsely.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SeaJenniTravel
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

For my wife's birthday, she just wanted to get away from town - away from phones, computers, TVs, work... but luckily not me. We got a great price for a Sunday night and arriving early, had our pick of 4 upstairs rooms. We chose the US Grant Room #3 because we liked the corner location with windows on two walls. Overlooking busy Main St (weekends are very crowded with tourists) be aware that Julian is a top destination for Harley-Davidson riders. I personally enjoyed the "potato potato" sound - my wife not so much. This room was very tiny with a split bathroom - shower and toilet at one corner, and the sink on the opposite corner. Passing each other was like negotiating an airplane aisle, but it just added to the coziness. The bed was quite comfortable and overall, the room was perfect for a quick romantic getaway. Afternoon tea at 5pm was a nice touch, but my South African-born wife stated that a "proper" tea starts between 3 and 4 pm. And despite the lack of any electronic devices in the room, the hotel offers WiFi for the truly addicted. When we need another break from our routine, Julian Gold Rush will be our first call.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aeropapa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

My husband whisked me away one weekend from San Diego up to Julian when we first started dating. From the flowers the staff had placed in our room at my husband's request, to the lovely breakfasts we had, I knew that weekend that this was the man I was going to marry. We've been married 4 years now and returned to the B&B on our first anniversary before we moved away from San Diego, but I guarantee that if we ever get back to Julian, the Gold Rush is the only place we will stay!

Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NicholeP1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Julian
La Casa del Zorro
Tucker Peak Lodge
Tucker Peak Lodge
#9 of 11 in Julian
Borrego Springs Resort & Golf Club, BW Premier Collection
Borrego Springs Resort & Golf Cl...
#2 of 3 in Borrego Springs

Been to Julian Gold Rush Hotel? Share your experiences!