“Cute & Historic - Don't expect Luxury”

Julian Gold Rush Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Julian B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Cute & Historic - Don't expect Luxury”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

If you want to enjoy Julian, be within walking distance of everything and get a real historic feel for the town, this is a perfect place to stay - just don't expect the accommodations to be modern or roomy. Like other reviewers we were given our choice of 2 rooms upon our arrival. Tiny, tiny, upstairs rooms that we could choose from with beds pushed up against the wall to make enough room to walk. Normally, in a large city with lots of night life it wouldn't matter if the rooms are tiny, but here in Julian at 9:00 p.m. the streets are rolled up and there isn't much else to do at 9:00 - no TVs in the rooms or in any common area, very thin walls, no room for chairs to sit in the room, and no common gathering area after 9:00 for you to sit/have wine, etc. with your friends. We sat outside on the porch with our wine which was pleasant and nice but couldn't move the chairs for the 4 of us friends to all sit together because they have the outside chairs chained to the walls! The weeknight rate was a bargain, the bed was perfectly comfortable, and the breakfast and tea hour were both great, but next time I'll opt to spend a bit more and enjoy a more luxury accommodation at Wikiup, Orchard Hill or the Artist's Loft that lends itself to a little more comfort and some nice areas for mingling with friends past 9:00 p.m. since we came up with another couple and wanted to be able to socialize.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Radne H, Manager at Julian Gold Rush Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. However sad to hear somethings were not to your liking. Yes. the rooms on the second floor are quaint. They are part of the original structure of the hotel. Some rooms on the second floor do offer access on both sides of the bed. We can always set one of those aside for you. Also rooms on the first floor and cottages are larger. The hotel has a lot of wonderful history and we try to keep true to the times however understand some modern day conveniences are desired. Although the rooms do not have TV we do offer free wi-fi through out if you want to view programs or movies online. The lobby is open 24 hours with sitting areas and tables to interact with others in the late evening if you choose. We are glad to hear you took advantage of the porch to relax. For future ithe backyard of the hotel we have native stone patio areas with chairs and table also available 24 hours.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel is smack dab in the center of things but being Julian, it's quiet too. The hotel is historic yet modern where it needs to be - like the bathrooms. The rooms are small so don't expect much more than a bed, chair and dresser. But everything is clean and pleasing. The breakfasts are ample and the staff helpful. This is where you want to stay while visiting Julian! And stay in the older rooms upstairs in the main house - that's where the character is. I was in room 7 and thought it was great as it has windows on the side and the back which provides a lot of light but also dark enough curtains for a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a bad room but I liked #7 because it had two windows and was on the side/back of t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CyndiMom
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Yes, the rooms on the second floor are smaller due to the history of them. However if you are interested in a larger room they are available on the first floor and cottages.
Southern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is a family run B + B and everyone is very helpful. Right in the middle of town so an easy walk to restaurants and shops. This is an old and historic building so the rooms are on the small side, but adequate. The place is old where it should be old and new where it should be new. They serve a very good breakfast. The only drawback is the height of the beds as you need to be spry to get up on them. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
We also enjoyed dinner at the Julian Grill and traipsing through the Birdwatcher shop.

Room Tip: The early arrivals get to choose from available rooms.
1 Thank braidmacd
Radne H, Manager at Julian Gold Rush Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. Yes, we do try to keep the history of the hotel alive and still provide modern conveniences. For those interested in larger rooms they are available on the First Floor and Cottages. We hope to see you again in the future.
Solana Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

The "pros" of this B&B are the staff, the historical and quaint feel of the place, the breakfast was really good and its location right in the heart of Julian. Upon arrival, we were invited to view 4 available rooms and choose. If you suffer claustrophobia, you may want to opt for a first floor room or a cottage. The upstairs rooms are very small. Room for a double bed, a wooden chair, and a small dresser. We chose a room that offered a larger bathroom as the bedroom sizes seemed similar. The bed was very comfortable. Our room faced the street and we were awakened during the night by cars driving by (it was raining) and by early morning garbage trucks. Next time, I would choose a room that is not overlooking the main road. I only saw stairs leading to the second floor, so keep this in mind if you have difficulty navigating a staircase. Afternoon tea was very nice, although we opted for their coffee. That was good too!

1 Thank LadyEv22
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Since the rooms on the second floor are part of original structure of the hotel they can be quaint. You are correct rooms do get larger on the First Floor and the Cottages. With those rooms some even have cast iron claw foot and fireplaces. We are sorry to hear the increase of noise you experienced on the main st as usually evenings and mornings are very quite. Also as noted rooms are available away from the main st if interested. We hope to see you again in the future.
irvine, ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel about 10 years ago and the recent experience was just as nice. We typically do a day trip but decided to stay overnight and get some R&R. We had spoken to Lisa on the phone a couple of time and we were checked-in by her this stay. She was always helpful and even told us to look at a few of the 2nd floor rooms and pick one out. We chose the same room that we had stayed in the first time. It was small, but very comfortable, large bathroom and overlooked the backyard area. In the afternoon Elizabeth coordinated the "afternoon tea" and that was excellent. Breakfast was so-so but since the meal is prepared the night before, it was only heated up. The granola cereal was very good, as well as the bread.

Overall, my wife and I love the hotel and will plan another overnight perhaps in the fall

Room Tip: We loved Room 9, 2nd floor. Room 8 was more secluded but had a smaller bathroom.
Midwest City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

This B&B was very charming and the bedrooms felt pretty authentic. The bedrooms are definitely small, but the bathrooms are very large and modern. The breakfast was good but the portions were too big for me and my husband.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oobleckclyde
Radne H, Manager at Julian Gold Rush Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. We pleased to hear you enjoyed the charm of the Julian Hotel has to offer. Yes, the rooms on the second floor are quaint, they are the original rooms. We have updated the bathrooms and are continually updating all rooms and bathrooms. For those interested in a larger room they are available on the first floor and cottages. Hope to see you again in the future.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This old hotel has loads of charm. It's filled with fantastic antiques, and a respect for the history that surrounds it. Generally it's very quiet and comfortable. Definitely has a bed and breakfast lean and is not for those squeamish about meeting others.

My room was small and quaint, and the bathrooms clean and modern. My sleep was good except for the interruption in the middle of the night by disembodied voices and touching. Yes, I said touching. I fell asleep early and was woken up by a voice as though someone was right next to my ear. My heart was racing, and sleep was impossible for the next two hours, so I laid there under the covers listening for more.

About an hour later, my back turned from the door, and laying on my side I felt pressure on my leg in three sequential places move from my ankle to my knee. Heart racing again, I was frozen with fear! Within another 45 minutes, I felt pressure on my back as though someone was pushing me over to make room.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep well (though not through the fault of the hotel per se. The next day, I went down for my breakfast which consisted of local oats, fresh fruit and eggs Florentine. It was delicious! Fresh baked bread toast was the topper to a perfect meal.

While eating I did some research and others apparently have had similar experiences as I did with touching and voices. While losing a nights sleep was bothersome, I do have an amazing story to tell and wouldn't have had it any other way!

Room Tip: There are not many rooms in this quaint hotel but if you are into getting the pants scared off you t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our hotel does have a lot of history and we love showing that part off! All though it is not very uncommon to hear ghost stories we appreciate your kind review and your appreciation for the history.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Julian
La Casa del Zorro
Tucker Peak Lodge
Tucker Peak Lodge
#9 of 11 in Julian
Borrego Springs Resort & Golf Club, BW Premier Collection
Borrego Springs Resort & Golf Cl...
#2 of 3 in Borrego Springs

Been to Julian Gold Rush Hotel? Share your experiences!