“A LOVELY EXPERIENCE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Julian Gold Rush Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Julian
Julian Gold Rush Hotel
You added Julian Gold Rush Hotel to your Saves list
2032 Main St., Julian, CA 92036   |
Ranked #2 of 14 Julian B&B and Inns
Holtville, California
“A LOVELY EXPERIENCE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you would like to enhance your experience in the quaint little town of Julian, Ca., book a stay at the Julian Gold Rush Hotel. Time is suspended as you cross the threshold into a lovely, Victorian style parlor to register. Minus public telephones, flat screen TVs and a noisy lobby, the only sound preventing you from focusing on the ringing of your ears is a faint wafting of music coming from the dining area, where tea is served every day at 5:00 pm and a freshly made breakfast awaits you in the morning. Each room is uniquely decorated and, combined with the comfortable bedding, leads to a very quiet and sound sleep. To say more would attempt to evaluate your own personal experience. But, chances are, your first visit will cause you to look forward to your next!

Room Tip: The staff is very helpful. Sometimes you can even view the rooms before you choose. The main buildin...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Radne H, Manager at Julian Gold Rush Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
We are pleased to hear you had such an enjoyable experience at the Julian Hotel. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Brawley, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I loved my stay at the Julian Gold Rush Bed & Breakfast so much that I really didn't want to leave! The staff was wonderful, the food was great, and to rooms were adorable,cozy, and quaint.

Stepping into the hotel was like stepping back in time. When I arrived, I rang the bell for the innkeeper to let me in and I waited patiently on the porch as the crisp autumn air was nipping at my nose, clouds were gathering for a storm. Elizabeth, as she introduced herself, greeted me with a warm smile and invited me in. The lobby was decorated for a Victorian Christmas and warm, an old-fashioned stove was burning. At check in, I was asked which room I wanted, I asked Elizabeth to choose for me as I wouldn't never be able to decide.

The room was quite tiny by modern standards, a Victorian era hotel room with a double bed squeezed in, but I was stepping into history. The important thing, though, it the room was beautiful, the water was hot, the linens were clean, and the bathroom was private (not something offered at all the local lodging).

Breakfast each morning was delicious! The parlor was a seat-yourself affair and a member of the staff brought a bowl of cereal and orange juice and informed me what was being served. Thursday morning was french toast topped with Julian apples and a side of fresh fruit; Friday morning brought eggs florentine, yogurt with berries, fresh fruit, and wedge of toast with sweet butter. A hearty meal to fuel the engines for exploring Julian and the surrounding areas.

Tea was served at 5pm in the parlor. Tea, coffee, hot cider, and various cakes were set out on the serving table, and on each table were games. I didn't get to stay for the festivities, I had dinner plans with friends, but the food was yummy!

I will definitely be going back to the Gold Rush Hotel any chance I get!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Fountain Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

the BnB is quaint, extremely clean, tastefully decorated. The location is perfect for walking to all the many things to see/do/shop in Julian. Our first trip to Julian, a two and a half hour drive from Orange County... we LOVED it. WHEN we go back, we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was at the end, facing Main St., a bit small, but quite cozy!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Novato, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Our third visit to the Julian Hotel was spectacular! Upon arrival we couldn't wait to choose which room to spend the night, each has its own special decor and we love them all. Afternoon tea and an evening game of Clue with longtime friends in the parlor made for a special day. In the morning we enjoyed the homemade granola and Eggs Florentine. After breakfast we toured all the Julian bakeries in search of the perfect apple pie. Yum! We will be returning for our fourth visit soon!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Had a lovely stay at the Julian Hotel at the start of Thanksgiving week. This is the perfect place to get away and relax! The town of Julian and the hotel were all decked out for the holidays and set a lovely tone for relaxing. The room was perfect... Clean, cozy, and beautifully decorated. I have stayed here in the heat of summer and the room was pleasantly cool... And now as the cold weather approaches it was very comfortable as well. Close to great hiking, fun shops, good restaurants! Staff was helpful, warm and welcoming and the breakfasts and afternoon tea times were great. The wifi worked beautifully and thank goodness there are no TVs in this classy historical setting!

Room Tip: They are all lovely!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SavinHill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

My mom and I recently stated at the Julian Gold Rush Hotel. I got it through a Groupon as my mom needed a break from her everyday hectic life dealing with her parents who both have dementia. I didn't have too high expectations but all I can say is WOW what a delightful treat the excursion to Julian was. We try to go up every year for a day visit. I had never stayed anywhere in town. If you have the choice , I would say to try this place. All of the innkeepers were so nice and friendly. The minute you walk in you are welcomed with a warm smile and greeting. We made it in time for the afternoon tea. So nice! The cider was amazing. All of the treats served with the cider were delicious. We had a choice of 5 different rooms. We stayed in room #3. It definitely was the best choice. The bed was super comfortable. The room is a little cold but you get used to it right away. There are no shortage of blankets/quilts so you do no have to worry about getting cold while you sleep. I really liked how the sink is separate from the toilet and shower. They are on opposite sides of the room. Some people write that the rooms are small and they are but you adjust and it is fine. I wouldn't change the cozy feeling for anything. The only bad thing about the room is that it is above the front door so you have people slamming it when they come and go if they are not conscientious. But after 9pm, everyone is inside anyway so it may just wake you in the morning. Downstairs there are no shortage of places to sit and talk. You can snuggle next to numerous stoves/ fireplaces. There are no TVs but you don't need them. I went to Julian to have a nice break and slow down from normal life. Make sure not to miss the breakfast in the morning. I thought it was going to be a small buffet type but I was surprised again. They seat you as they do in a restaurant and bring you the breakfast piping hot. We had granola, fresh fruit, Spanish florentine quiche and raisin bread. Very tasty! You would be missing out if you did not try the beautiful and inviting B&B.

• Stayed November 2012
San Marcos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The old Julian Hotel is now a bed and breakfast, and has lots of character and charm. You can step back in time, no cell phones allowed in the dining area, period furnishings all over, and hosts that are both friendly and knowledgeable about the hotel's extensive history. You might even get a visit from the ghost of the original owner, who still roams the upstairs hallways. We frequently use this as a quick two-day mini-vacation, not far from San Diego. Plenty of interesting shops and good restuarants in the town, and winter snow is always a draw.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Julian
Ayres Lodge Alpine
Riviera Oaks Resorts
Riviera Oaks Resorts
#2 of 3 in Ramona
4.0 of 5 stars 91 reviews

Been to Julian Gold Rush Hotel? Share your experiences!