“Friendly B&B in the heart of Julian”

Julian Gold Rush Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Julian B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Friendly B&B in the heart of Julian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed here for 2 nights. We had a nice time, though weren't in the room too much to be honest. The hotel is located right in the heart of town. Parking is just street parking, which proved a little interesting over the busy weekend. The breakfast, as others have stated, was delicious, though I am not sure they were ready for the place being fully booked, since we had to wait a little while to eat the first morning. The homemade granola made up for it though. The room was very clean, but small (we were in room 10) with way too much furniture. The staff were super-friendly and helped us out with several questions about the local area and good hikes. All in all, we had a nice time there. The service definitely impressed us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kforstot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Sacramento
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

The Julian Hotel (formerly the Julian Gold Rush Hotel) was pleasant enough. The plusses were a lovely Tea Time, and a delicious hearty breakfast. I especially liked the home made granola.

We requested a room on the 2nd floor. So I can't speak for the alledgedly larger rooms on the 1st floor. The guest room and bathroom, that we had (Room 12) were less than we had expected. The bedroom was quite small and it had too much furniture in it. Why would anyone need 2 dressers? Take one of the dressers out of the room. And remove that "antique" water pitcher and basin. I need a place to put my cell phone, watch, book or magazine. I don't want to worry about breaking your "antiques". The shower was so small I had to be careful raising my hands above my head, lest I bump my elbows. And the shower head was very close to the shower curtain. So, to get wet, you had to brush up against the shower curtain which was now clinging to your thighs.

I kept seeing the word relax in the other reviews I read. There is a reason for it. If you go on a weekday, at least 50% of the town will be shut down. The Gold Mine was closed, and many of the restaurants were closed too. We couldn't find a bar, so we could watch the baseball playoffs. We went to bed at 9pm!

If I had to go back to Julian again, I would go on the weekend and get a bigger/different room. But after going there once, I don't know why anyone would ever go there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RealtorLady
New River, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a must if you would like to escape the frantic and frenetic pace of life as we know it. Step back in time to a simpler place, enjoy a stroll down main street and then relax on the front porch and enjoy the landscaping and the view of town as this hotel is located right in the heart of town. Enjoy the afternoon tea, play some games and enjoy the day the old fashioned way. Rooms are cozy and comfortable, and breakfast is very, very good. Looking forward to coming back again.

• Stayed September 2012
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We recently spent 3 restful days in Julian and stayed at this lovely B&B. The room was small, but charming, and scrupulously clean. No television was a HUGE plus for me. The bed was super comfy with lots of pillows and the hot water plentiful for my long relaxng showers. The breakfasts were a good size and delicious and service was friendly. The granola was to die for. Tea time in the late afternoon is a nice touch, although during the off-season everything closes so early that we had to go straight from tea to dinner so were not able to really indulge in the goodies. We will stay here again for sure!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Moreta57
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

The Julian Gold Rush Hotel is a wonderfully old place with a lot of character. My wife and I stayed in the Honeymoon Suite (not on our honeymoon, but since we were both jetlagged, we wanted to make sure we could get up during the night and not disturb each other) - a two-room suite with a very homey feel. Very quiet. The breakfast was good but not great...it seemed odd to have no choice in the matter: we were served a small cup of cereal, some rather dry french toast (with very good Julian apples on it) and a glass of orange juice. Not terribly good value for money, but Julian is a charming town and the Gold Rush Hotel certainly is a pleasant place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Great accomodation and great breakfasts! we had eggs florentine and pecan and raisin bread yum! guys you gotta get a better receptionist! we arrived late thurs night around 8pm she was nice enough but just had no idea about greeting and meeting! she didn't know what restaurants were which and wasn't very helpful! Other than that a great stay. Julian is extremely sleepy. Very comfy bed, we stayed in the honey moon suite, nice

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank molly p
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband surprised me with a trip to Julian. We stayed at the Julian Gold Rush Hotel. We had such a great time, we are already thinking about our next trip! We stayed in one of the cottages, it was clean, relaxing and very peaceful. The service was excellent and the breakfast was outstanding!!!!!! We would recommend this hotel to anyone who really wants relax. We loved the ambiance, it was as if we stepped back in time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Julian
La Casa del Zorro
Tucker Peak Lodge
Tucker Peak Lodge
#9 of 11 in Julian
Borrego Springs Resort & Golf Club, BW Premier Collection
Borrego Springs Resort & Golf Cl...
#2 of 3 in Borrego Springs

Been to Julian Gold Rush Hotel? Share your experiences!