“First-rate hospitality, charming atmosphere - great hosts!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Julian
Butterfield Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 11 Julian B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 21, 2006

I recently attended a business meeting at Butterfield Bed & Breakfast in Julian, CA and wanted to share my experience. The outdoor setting at Butterfield B&B is where the meeting took place. There was a beautiful gazebo and a large wood deck surrounded by oak trees, ivy and flowers. Picnic tables were beautifully decorated and set for a home-cooked breakfast. The atmosphere was overwhelmed of laughter, friendliness and warmth complete with a beautiful sun shining day. Owners Ed and Dawn Glass were the primary hosts. They went above and beyond the duty of making sure everyone was served with their meal and were pleased. From the kitchen came aromas of warm baked quiche, sizzling sausage and pear dribbled with sweet sauce. Coffee and orange juice was also on hand. We were served our meals and began with the meeting. Being that the meeting was for a charitable cause, Ed and Dawn graciously donated their services, venue and the food. Amongst being busy with the B&B, I learned that these two "busy-body's" are also very dedicated volunteers. They are extremely active in the town of Julian and appreciated by many. Afterwards I was given the opportunity to walk around the property and sneak a peak of five cottages owned by the Glass’s. The rooms were each individually nestled away for privacy. Romantic, charming, elegant, country and Victorian-like are all words that came to mind when describing the rooms. I will highly recommend the Butterfield Bed & Breakfast to anyone I know! Thanks again Ed and Dawn for everything you do and for making my time at Butterfield a very pleasurable experience.

Jennifer Jenkin
Pamo Valley Vineyards & Winery
Ramona, CA

6  Thank pamovalley

Reviewed August 8, 2006

This cozy "home" is nestled in a woodsy forest area with all the small town charm from days gone by. The room was absolutely wonderful. Charming AND comfortable. From a plush bed to private bath with a coffee maker and cable TV, it offered all the comforts of home with all the charm of a cozy garden room.

The garden paths on the gronds were done with style and seating all along available in the form of benches, chairs or even a swinging bench that was nestled in the trees with lovely flowers and greenery.

A great room in the main "house" with a fireplace and a huge selection of either books to read or movies to watch were there for you to use in your room. Or, you could sit on the sofa, kick back and listen to music being played, relaxing with coffee or iced tea and cookies fresh from the bakery free for your enjoyment.

Breakfast was served by the owners who were exceedingly warm and generous and friendly. This was no typical breakfast. It was made special just for us by them and served with a smile!

Just down the hill and around the corner, a local gold mine, which put Julian on the map, was readily available for a special tour. The town itself offered many little special shops, a museum and an array of restaurants with great food and not high priced.

If you're looking for a relaxing time with comfort and charm, this is the place to be!

7  Thank Bill-and-Laura
Reviewed March 5, 2006

I wanted to find the perfect place to surprise my husband for his 50th birthday and I couldn't have been happier than I was with the Butterfield B&B. Dawn and Ed not only went out of their way to be personable, but also supply a myriad of little extras that show their thoughtfulness. The gourmet breakfast is outstanding and they are well prepared for the varied guest's special requests due to dietary constraints (from soy milk to vegetarian breakfast meat requests). We had the wonderful Rosebud Cottage and I highly recommend it. We loved visiting downtown Julian and even took a lovely horse and carriage ride; however, it was hard to pry us from the comfort and pleasantness of our little cottage. The private patio was nice, but only a part of the lovely outdoor surroundings that boasted gardens, a fountain and benches. Also, you can forget about needing an overcrowded gym for exercise, since the mountainous setting provides a great avenue for an exhilarating morning hike. From Las Vegas, it took us 6 hours, which we initially thought was a little too far. It provided my husband and I an oasis away from the desert and found it was worth the drive. However, next time we will make it a three nights stay. There is so much more to brag about, but why not try it out for yourself instead? I hope you enjoy it as much as my husband and I did!

• Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank WorldTravelerGodLove
A TripAdvisor Member
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed February 21, 2006

We were looking for a relaxing get-away to celebrate our Anniversary. We found the perfect place in the Butterfield B&B in Julian, California. Hosts Ed and Dawn were gracious, friendly, informative and great cooks! We really enjoyed the roaring fire in the fireplace along with fresh baked cookies each evening when we returned from dinner. Their always-open back porch pantry was wonderful for snacks or a warm cup of tea, chocolate or coffee.

The decor was outstanding with no detail left out. For ultimate charm, relaxing surroundings, friendly atmosphere, we would definately recommend the Butterfield. We plan to return and try out one of the other delightful rooms - maybe try out all of them!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 24, 2006

My husband and I stayed in the Black Oak Cabin from Jan 20th-Jan 23rd. He had given me this as a Christmas present, we went up there for our 8 month anniversary of being married. We fell in love with this cabin!! Everything was wonderful and felt like a home away from home. We loved the woodburning stove and the cabin was delightful. The detail in every room looks exactly as it does when you check out the website. We loved the cabin so much we extended out our stay and booked another night because we didn't want to leave, it was so magical, and felt like home. The only bad thing was the bed in bedroom was too hard for me, so I ended up sleeping on the sleeper sofa and the mattress had some dips in it, it was much more comfortable than the other bed but should be replaced. Otherwise that everything was great and Ed & Dawn were great, very friendly and brought us the additional things we needed when we decided to stay extra night. We will definitely be back!!!!

6  Thank CAKitten
A TripAdvisor Member
Venice, CA
Reviewed January 22, 2006

My Partner and I were the fortunate guests of Ed and Dawn at the Butterfield B & B. We are already planning our next trip back.

We were graciously greeted once we arrived and warmly treated our entire weekend there. Breakfast was surprising and delicious and immaculately prepared. Much detail was taken to provide high quality enriching meal.

The feathernest room was pleasant and relaxing. Ed's gingerbread cookies were to die for. A week later, I can still imagine the heavenly taste in my mouth.

Butterfields, is the perfect place for a getaway from city life, and we left feeling recharged.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 22, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Butterfield B&B on Jan. 20-22, in the Stanza Italia Room. The room was comfy and inviting. The bed linens were extra soft and the bed was just as comfortable. I appreciated the extra touches Dawn puts into each room: body lotion and French milled soap, robes and soft towels. We came to relax and decompress from the holidays. We wish we could move in. Ed and Dawn are excellent innkeepers. Breakfast was delicious. My husband and I loved the poached pears! Ed and Dawn made us feel like we were visiting with friends.

5  Thank Jplopez31