“Eureka! I Found Gold!”

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Eureka! I Found Gold!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My family and I traveled to Julian for the weekend and discovered the Eagle and High Peak Mine at the end of the street from where we were staying. I had never been in a mine before and found it extremely interesting. The guide gave a very educational and fun tour walking us through this real gold mine with different passageways and levels, showing us original equipment used by the miners back in the day, and then turned off the lights to show how incredibly dark it was in the mine. There is a constant temperature of 60 degrees in the mine. My son loved it! He bought a real sample of gold in the gift shop at the end of the tour.. Fun, educational, and reasonable family friendly attraction. I would recommend it. You also got to pan for gold.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Nancy R

Kansas City, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Worth the Trip”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We went to Julian California today and made a stop to the Eagle Gold Mine. Without coupons adults were $10 per person and worth it. The tour guide was very knowledgable and professional. This is a real gold mine that closed to mining in the 1920's but has stayed in the same family who started doing tours in the 1960's.

Very interesting and historical.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank JKAF
Dallas, Texas
128 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“Excellent guide - lots of history”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

This is about a one hour tour, although you could easily walk through the mine passage in ten minutes, even though there are miles of mines all around. As is often the case, a good tour guide can make all the difference, and we really enjoyed our tour guide. He gave us lots of history an details about gold mining that were totally new to us. The town of Julian was started with gold mining about 1870 and this is ground zero. In fact, the guide told us that it also sits right on a fault line. When you first go there, it isn't much to look at, but we're glad we went. There is also an exhibit featuring all kinds of other minerals, rocks, and gemstones on display as well as old photographs of the town.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank imtom55711
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Very friendly staff”
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

We have planned this vacation for a while. We supposed to visit another gold mine tour instead of this tour. . After we have lunch just walk around the city. A guy hand out fryer so we decided to try this tour out. I don't expect to be good. But it turn out pretty good. After the tour we were taught to pan for gold and they had real gold in there even. My son was THRILLED!! All smiles..... They told to take our time and pan all we wanted. But can not take home :( Thanks : )

2 Thank supralouis c
Temecula, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Mine Tour”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Carl gave us a great tour of the Eagle and High Peak Mine. Along with my grandsons, I was very impressed with the facts and the history of gold mining in the Julian area. This was a very educational experience including the gold panning.

Visited May 2014