“Great Little Tour!” 5 of 5 bubbles

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great Little Tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

Found this to be a very informative tour. The gentleman guiding the tour had more than adequate info about period mining. Worth speding the money for.

Visited June 2012

San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

This was a great way to spend a few hours. Fun, informative tour!

Visited February 2012
Temecula, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Once is enough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

We trekked up to the mine a couple of weeks back. I think it was $10 each to tour. Nothing spectacular about the tour. Staff was nice.

They allow you to try your hand at panning for gold, but do not let you keep what you find. This was a bit of a disappointment. You can be pretty sure there's never going to be enough gold in their trough to amount to much.

If you've never visited a hard rock gold mine, go, it is worth it. If you have, skip it, there's plenty else in Julian to do.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank Cuthahotha
Halifax, West Yorkshire, ENGLAND
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Authentic mine and guide”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

We visited this mine as we thought it might be more suitable for us as we had no young children and the other one with the train ride sounded like it might be aimed at younger children. We also chose this mine as it had a museum.
On approaching the mine it does not look like a visitor attraction, but an actual mine that isn't open to visitors. I liked this as I wanted to visit something authentic, although the no entry/warning/private property signs were a little bit concerning as they were followed by something along the lines of "trespassers will be shot".
We parked up near to 2 large wooden barns/buildings. We entered the entrance/museum to be greeted by the owner. The owner was not drunk, but is quite abrupt (somebody had asked if they needed to book a tour or just turn up, I won't relay the whole conversation but the he talked to them could have come across as he was doing people a favour by taken them on a tour).
I didn't actually realise that this building was the museum, I thought it was just a store room. It might have had some things worth looking at but he started the tour straight away without mentioning we were in the museum or describe the various items there.
He was very informative on the tour and the areas we visited in the mine were really interesting, especially as we have never done anything like this before. My wife asked a few questions and he seemed to be abrupt in his answers again.
I have probably give a bad impression of the guide (actually the owner) but the truth is he is not a trained guide and therefore doesn't have the people skills you would expect. I think a lot of people used to professional guides would take his abruptness as him being rude, but I think it's just how he is. He certainly isn't nasty and I would recommend this tour to anyone. It doesn't last very long but you do seem to get to see a good amount of the mine.
Although I didn't visit the other mine I would recommend this one for people without young children.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank gilders
Anaheim, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Interesting Mine Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

We also wanted to tour the "Smith Ranch & Julian Railroad," but they were closed on our visit, so we only visited the Eagle Mine. At first, we were somewhat skeptical about this mining tour since there were a handful of reviewers / bloggers who were criticizing the tour guide of this mine.

However, contrast to all the reviewers' complaints, we had a great time at the Eagle Mine, and the tour guide was very friendly and knowledgeable in the subject of mining & history, which made the tour interesting. If you want to tour an authentic working mine, then this tour is a good choice. At the end of tour, there was even "panning for gold," which most of the children would enjoy.

Visited August 2011