Kenner Ranch Riding, Discovery and Development Center

Reviewed December 26, 2017
robert g
Connecticut
via mobile
Great family riding experience!

Reviewed December 8, 2017
Susan V
San Diego, California

All reviews hour ride riding experience wonderful afternoon kathleen horses meadows personalities deer cider mountains
Reviewed December 26, 2017 via mobile

A beautiful ride through the countryside. Kathleen, the guide, was friendly, chatty and informative. The horses were nice a well kept. A pretty place for a slow family ride.

Reviewed December 8, 2017

We were a family of five - one senior, two parents and two small children (ages 5 & 7 years). We thoroughly enjoyed our 1 hour ride through the woodlands and meadows of The Kenner Ranch. This was the first time my grand children had been on a horse and the whole experience was the highlight during their 5 day visit to San Diego. Kathleen selected the perfect horse for each of us and and showed the children (and us adults) how to properly "steer" the horses using the reins. She and her son used a "lead" to guide the children's horses along the 2 mile trail in beautiful Cuyamaca country. Kathleen was very informative and provided a little history of the area, ranch and the wildlife. We spotted a deer on our return to the ranch and Kathleen shared stories and photos of mountain lions captured on a security camera. The horses were so gentle and responsive to commands - a joy to ride! It was obvious from the beginning, that these horses were extremely well cared for and treated like pets! My grand children asked if they could go back again - and we will! Thank you so much for sharing your horses and providing a wonderful afternoon!

Reviewed November 14, 2017

Hubby and I had such a wonderful experience on Sunday. From the time we arrived at Kenner Ranch, we felt so relaxed & welcomed. We opted for the 1 1/2 hour ride and we were so glad we did! We saw deer and either an eagle or hawk, it flew by so quickly we couldn't tell! Kathleen very knowledgeable and she fit our horses to our personalities. And the cider! The best I have ever had. Had to buy a liter of the macintosh-plumb. Thanks for your hospitality!

Reviewed August 13, 2017 via mobile

I can not even put into words how amazing this trip was. My husband and I went to Kenner Ranch for an hour long ride and we were amazing by how relaxed everything was. Kathleen is an amazing lady and such an amazing person. The horses are well taken care of and very loved and it really shows in their behavior. She made sure to match us to horses that would work well with our personalities. My horse Bravo was such a love bug and wanted my attention at all times. Which I think is great. Of course you wanna pet them and connect with the animal. We wound up staying until the evening drinking cider and learning about horses and Kathleen. If we ever go to Julian again we will have to go back. You just can't beat it for 50$ an hour per person.

Reviewed March 17, 2017

We met Kathleen and the horses near Borrego Springs for a ride through beautiful Box Canyon, enjoying the flowers and the peace. The horses are beautifully trained and responsive, even though we were pretty rusty. Kathleen is a great travelling companion. A wonderful memory-maker!

1  Thank doctordonnanoble
Reviewed November 21, 2016

Took our girls for a ride and have never seen such big smiles on their faces. The property and guides are awesome. Will definitely come back!

Reviewed January 3, 2016 via mobile

We are family who love horses. We love to ride and go riding several times each year. Since we were visiting the Wolf Reserve in Julian we decided to go for little ride. Ranch host Kathleen is very nice and cordial, she gives great instructions for riding the horses HOWEVER......you will not get an opportunity to ride the horses using any of your skills. She actually USES A LEAD TO WALK the horse while you were sitting on it you don't even need to touch the reins. Her son also used a lead to guide an experienced rider.
Unless you are disabled or have never ridden a horse before do not go to Kenner Horse Ranch. ❌

20  Thank Naninofro
Reviewed September 9, 2015

We had a group of 6 who went horseback riding and everyone from the youngest teen to the oldest adult had a great time. The family took great care to select the perfect horse to best match with the rider. I was very nervous to ride and our guide Kathleen was calm and very patient with me. She was able to make me feel comfortable and more confident. She took a lot of time to explain everything we needed to know to make sure we were all riding properly and understood how to maneuver the horses. Because my daughter and I were both nervous, Kathleen and her son walked the entire trail leading our horses. I really appreciated the extreme effort the entire team exerted to ensure our trail ride was safe and enjoyable. I really enjoyed hearing wonderful stories about the area, the history, the ranch, and more as I rode my horse. This was a wonderful experience that our entire family enjoyed. I would highly recommend this activity for anyone in the Julian area.

2  Thank EffieKR
Reviewed July 16, 2015 via mobile

My family of 4 loved this experience. Kathleen and her horses were so sweet, my youngest daughter who is 11 was terrified to ride the horse by herself since she has never done this before and Kathleen walked the horse while my daughter rode it. My other daughter who is 13 has always wanted to go horseback riding, so this was a dream come true for her. My boyfriend and I also had a great time, it's so beautiful and relaxing and the horse are very calm and sweet. The only one of us that ever rode a horse before was my boyfriend, so even the inexperienced can do this amazing adventure.

3  Thank mstina1976
Reviewed July 4, 2015

This was our first horse back riding and we were not sure of the outcome. But kathleen made it so easy for us. She is very lovely lady and gave use a lovely time to enjoy. She knows a lot on horses and how would they react and she made sure we understand them well.

It was my wife's idea to visit Julian and i will never forget the experience and kudos to both ladies - my wife and kathleen for making my day :)

1  Thank Prashant S