“The Blue Door: An Intimate Tasting Room with Wonderful Hosts”
Review of Blue Door Winery

Blue Door Winery
Ranked #10 of 38 things to do in Julian
More attraction details
Owner description: Small production winery offering a nice array of wines in a wonderful and charming tasting room. Pop in for a taste, glass, or bottle during your visit to Julian. Cheers!
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Blue Door: An Intimate Tasting Room with Wonderful Hosts”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Blue Door Winery is an intimate tasting room with hosts that are proud to show off their wine without any of the commercial pressure or cartoonish atmosphere that comes with other larger or corporate wineries. Everything about our visit was wonderful (wine, the company, atmosphere) - and what was originally going to be a quick stop on the way to other things became the feature of our weekend in Julian. We are definitely going back.

My wife and I visited Blue Door towards the end of a Saturday on a trip to Julian for our one-year anniversary. Initially, we visited Blue Door to cool off with the sangria they make. The Sangria was delicious, and that, combined with the conversation we fell into with the owners/wine makers, piqued our interest in trying the other wines. We tasted a wide variety of what Blue Door makes, accompanied and educated by the down-to-earth and friendly owners/hosts, who genuinely cared about the experience we would have with their wine.

Wine: delicious and interesting. Certainly high quality, and the owners take so much care of every detail that goes into each wine, which comes out in the flavor and tasting experience. For instance, we had a red that was good on its own, but that transformed into a layering of rich and subtle flavors when paired with hot spice (for use, a peppery habanero cheese). This wine is unique - making the tasting experience a plus for people familiar with California wine, but it is also full of excellent flavors, making it a joy for any wine enthusiast.

Hosts: vibrant, friendly, and passionate about the wine and wine-making process. Our tasting was accompanied by a full education of each wine, the fruit that was selected and the process of making the wine - but we were also regaled with some of our hosts personal stories, which transformed the tasting into a conversation had over great wine. We instantly felt at home with the company we shared as we explored our way through each wine. They recommended wineries in Temecula for us to try on our way home, which we took advantage of the next day. We were very grateful for the advice.

Venue: Intimate, stylish, but also rustic - a perfect combination of elements for the guest to feel at home in the southern California mountain atmosphere. We initially sat outdoors sipping our sangria in Adirondack chairs before moving inside to lean into a deeper wine tasting experience.

Visited April 2013

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Better than Temecula! Hidden gem.”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This fairly new winery is a gem! Merlot was sold out so I didn't taste it. The Rose and Primitivo wines were so tasty. Surprisingly, I preferred the Rose the most ( and I usually don't go for that choice of wine). Love the innate style and feel of this little winery. Watch out for Blue Door. Their wines are young and fantastic.

Visited May 2013
San Diego, California
“Remarkable”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have been wine tasting all over San Diego County and Temecula. While I haven't tried EVERY winery out there, I have visited MANY! Based on my personal experience as an avid SoCal wine taster, this was one of my absolute FAVORITE places. I was blown away by the quality of the wine, and the honesty and passion evident in the winemakers. Most people will tell you their wines are "award-winning" or "fantastic" and will throw a bunch of adjectives at you; but only taste will reveal the truth, and I have to say that there were no lies or sales gimmicks when I was told the $38 bottle of Merlot was truly "flawless." The way you get wine this amazing is by selecting the best fruit and only allowing the release of wine at its perfection. Well done, Blue Door.

Visited February 2013
Brawley, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Red Wine!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

A tiny, tiny winery, when I went, they only had three of their wines available. The couple who own and operate it are delightful and passionate about their craft and town they live in.

But be careful, the wine is very, very, very good, you'll want to buy up every bottle they have!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Sarah T
El Monte, California
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Nice little wine tasting room”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The nice people at Menghini told us to try out the wine at the Blue Door and since it was right across the street from the Gold Rush Hotel where we were staying it worked out perfect. Nice and friendly owners and enjoyed the tasting.

Visited July 2012