“Great Julian Experience, Thank you”
Review of Tucker Peak Lodge

Tucker Peak Lodge
Ranked #10 of 11 Julian B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I went to Julian for the day. I had no plans to stay but my girlfriend and I were having so much fun and it was getting late so we decided to stay. We went into a gift shop and found out about this lodge through a sign they had posted. It looked really nice and the price was good. They had just bought new TVs and that was a bonus. We were able to get a room with a jacuzzi tub and that was really special. The view was gorgeous and was a real winner with the lady! Next time I want to stay in Julian, this will be my go to place.

Room Tip: No swimming pool or Fitness center but that should not hurt them, it's a family/couples retreat...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Michael G

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I would never stay here again.They don't offer anything. The view is beautiful.But that's it.they don't even offer water in the rooms and its kinda far from town. They need to be more detailed in their web site.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Jesuslives1
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We were so happy to find Tucker peak lodge! This B&B is wonderful, especialy since we had just visited the rusty dog ranch. We travle as a family,our VIzsla's always come with! This is a family oriented B&B that we will aways return to. Great prices and great view.

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank norcal79
Reviewed February 1, 2013

From start to finish my visit was exactly
what I was looking for. Staff is super friendly and professional. It's a beautiful location, very peaceful and relaxing. Each room I've stayed in has had it's own fireplace which just adds to the lodges homey character. I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: October 2012
5  Thank kathybowen
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I am writing this review after sending a detailed constructive email to the owners of Tucker Peak Lodge. After waiting a week and no response, I've decided to recap my experience of Tucker Peak here.

My boyfriend and I decided it would be fun to spend a weekend in Julian. We looked around on various sites, reading the best and the worst of various places on several websites. It seemed every place had some good and some bad reviews, so we hoped for the good and picked Tucker Peak. We made a big mistake...

Issue 1- We were told to check in at their store in town. This store- which was basically an accumulation of junk- should have been our first warning. You must pay by cash or check only in advance to stay at Tucker Peak. So we paid, and then were told we had to wait for the innkeeper to receive the key. The cashier continually called the innkeeper, but said cellphone service must be down. We waited about 45 minutes, until the cashier (who presumably had finally talked to the innkeeper) gave us the go-ahead to head up to lodge and that our key would be under the door. Weird, right? Why were we waiting in the first place?

Issue 2- We pull up to what was once a single family home with a long hilly driveway that is the Tucker Peak Lodge. No parking spaces. It seemed like you had to find a space on the side of the road and hope you weren't in the way. Cool. We walk up to the house to see a very disheveled lady (whom we later learned was the innkeeper) running around. We told her we were checking in, to which she immediately began speaking poorly of the family who had checked in before us and well as the couple who had stayed in our room before. She asked us not to turn on the window combination ac/heater as it would become very hot later that night. She kept talking and talking and talking... nothing about being welcome but more so about how annoying the people are who stay at Tucker Peak as well as good riddance that Tucker, the namesake, was not at the lodge. Very odd.

So we enter the room, which originally seems nice. The room is big with high vaulted ceilings, a jacuzzi tub,tv, fireplace, shower, double sinks, bathroom with full door (not half in our room as others had described). Yes, there were lots of odd country knick knacks, but the room itself seemed quaint and nice.... We decided we would begin our vacation with the hot tub. This is where our adventure really began...

Issue 3- No hot water. The water warmed up briefly but was never hot/ was unable to fill the tub 1/3. We were hoping for a nice soak in the tub, but that never happened. A few hours later, still no hot water. The next morning, no hot water. In sum, no warm/ hot water all weekend.

Issue 4- No heat. So if there is no hot water, you would think there would be heat. Nope. You might be paying $200 a night to stay here, but no hot water or heat for you.

Issue 5- Loud. The pool table. Our room was next to the former living room which now holds the tv and pool table. This meant games until after midnight and beginning around 7:30am the next day. People talking, yelling, etc. To make matter worse, since this is a converted house, the door connecting our room to the "living room" was attempted to be opened at various times from 8pm to midnight from curious guests wondering where this door led too.

Issue 6- Breakfast. When one thinks B&B, one normally thinks breakfast, right? We were treated to the equivalent of a gas station breakfast. Pre-packaged muffins, boxes of cereal, coffee, and tiny gas station-style creamers. The kitchen, where breakfast was served, was freezing. Everyone sitting there was wearing their coats. No heat. Oh yeah, and as everyone shared, including the sole employee working, no hot water in their rooms either. We were told the hot water issue was due to frozen pipes. Frozen pipes would not allow the water to flow. Sorry Tucker Peak. Maybe check your propane?

Issue 7- Check out. Well there was no procedure for check out, so we called the Tucker Peak Lodge number to tell them we were checking out. The lovely innkeeper abruptly hung up on us, so we had to call her back in order to tell her she misunderstood and we were checking out/ not checking in. She asked about the hot water and we told her we didn't have any the entire time. We tried to talk to her, but again, she hung up on us, saying, " if you come back, we will take care of you next time." Well, we will not be coming back.

We tried to contact the owners about our experience, but we did not receive response. This was by far the worst run inn I have ever stayed. Customer service and management were beyond poor. I am assuming they have had a change in ownership, as I cannot possibly imagine how this place even received 2 star reviews. I guess Tucker Peak is not interested in repeat customers.

In sum, Terrible place. Unaccountable owners. Stay away.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank ILoveTraveling104
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this sweet lodge and loved every minute of it!! Outside the weather
was cold and rainy, inside we were snug as a bug in a rug! We walked up the steps and into a vintage Victorian style room with a comforter on the bed, plush puffed up pillows, and a log ready to go in the fireplace! There were little touches everywhere; antique sewing machine desk with new cable television, postcards and brochures of things to do in Julian, and plenty of warm towels and free bath toiletries. It was so much fun! We loved it!

Mayann helped us with the accommodations and was so friendly and helpful! The next morning the sun came out and we couldn't get over the gorgeous view! The best B & B!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eric F
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I booked a room and had an extended conversation with the gal that booked me. I was asked to call ahead to see if I could do an early check in at 2pm... and when I called on Thanksgiving morning... I was told that there was no reservation. Unbelievable. I have no idea if this property is nice, as I was unable to stay there. You better double, triple check if you take a chance and book this place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Julian
2 mi away
Apple Tree Inn
#2 of 3 in Julian
3 mi away
Wikiup Bed and Breakfast

Been to Tucker Peak Lodge? Share your experiences!