“great location”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Joshua Tree
Rockford, Illinois
“great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

I stayed there for over a week and had a good clean room very close to the park. fantastic value. owners very nice and friendly. Steve S.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank steve s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Centennial, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed in January to hike in the park. Very welcoming management with good restaurant information. Room was basic but very clean and great bed/shower. Slept well. Would definitely recommend and return ourselves.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
La Honda, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

All the motels in 29 Palms were "No Vacancy" the first time I stayed at the Safari. This was May of 2K10. But, I have stayed at inns in 29 Palms before. Totally overpriced and full of Marines in party mode. The Safari was not that way at all. I'm sure, however, that campers to Joshua Tree Park do show up by the van load and try to rent one room where they can all take a shower and only pay for one or two people. GET REAL !! This is a lovely, quiet place to stay with the best beds in the world. It has everything you need, including WiFi, and the nicest hosts ever at a very reasonable price. And, they will use any excuse to give you a discount. The only reason I did not give it the very top "excellent" review is because the first time I stayed there I got a kidney stone attack in the middle of the night. There was no phone in my room so I called an ambulance from my cell phone. I had to find my receipt in my papers to get the address!! But then, dut to the nature of the layout of the building, the ambulance was able to pull up right in front of my room. I certainly appreciated THAT !! Then, later when I had to take the bus back from the hospital emergency room in Yucca Valley, it stopped for me right across the street. Last year, Feb-March 2K11, when I stopped to stay for only one or two nights, I ended up staying for a week. And, enjoyed every minute of my stay.

Room Tip: The office only rents out every other room as they fill up so I have never had anyone on either side...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Vicky B
Oxfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed here passing through Joshua Tree and found it to be a great stopover. Rooms clean and functional. Owner was really friendly and helpful, telling us where local eateries were. The cameras mentioned elsewhere are to keep parking area secure and are not in any way obtrusive. Good value too.

• Stayed January 2012
Tujunga, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

Basic accommodations but great location by the park entrance. We have visited twice and found the owner very helpful and considerate. We noticed this time it was freshly painted and our room had slightly unfashionable but clean furniture, serviceable appliances, somewhat noisy AC unit, but everything up to standards. It was actually nicer than I remembered and an excellent value. I went to move my car so the person parked next to me would have plenty of room to open their door - it turned out to be the owner's vehicle and he rushed out to move it to give ME lots of room. He seems to anticipate travelers' needs, providing maps to local restaurants and any info you need, so you don't feel isolated or weird staying on the highway. Joshua Tree can seem kind of windswept and lonely, but Safari Motor Inn helps you feel safe and in good hands.

Room Tip: We chose a room with two beds - it helps us to spread our stuff out, and noticed it was closer to th...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Augusta, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

Our stay at the Safari Motor Inn exceeded our expectations and was a highlight of our visit to Joshua Tree National Park. The room was plain, but clean—and had a refrigerator and microwave. That was nice. The back door of our room opened onto a desert garden. Best of all was the warm hospitality of the owner, Ravi. We also enjoyed short walks to welcoming restaurants and shops—especially a great (and reasonably priced) Thai restaurant. We hope to come back in the spring to stay again and see the desert blooming.
Sally and Bob from Maine

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

I recently solo traveled to Joshua Tree National Park and with the hassles of flying these days, didn't want to bring all my camping equipment along for the ride. So I needed an inexpensive motel for just myself. My hope was for something safe, comfortable, clean, and with a modern-day convenience or two.

The Safari Motor Inn was just that. Located at the turn for the West Entrance to the park, the Inn was great for rushing off to morning photo shoots and coming back late after the sun had set. The room had everything I needed: free wifi with no additional fees or hang-ups, full TV cable and even a nice couch to kick back on in the evening with a book or a snack.

The owner, Ravi is a real gentleman who's happy to share information about the National Park as well as tips on where to food shop, dine, for find out about other activities within the small community of Joshua Tree. Ravi is extremely friendly and accommodating, which adds to the lure of this locally-owned, non-chain establishment. What the Safari Motor lacks in its exterior appearance it more than makes up for with friendly service and it's connection to the community, which I am sure you will not find in the nearby 'chains'. As a side I would also recommend the Thai and Indian restaurants in town. I never expected to eat anything other than fast food while down there. I was so happy to NOT see any fast food places and to be brave enough to try these other establishments - fantastic meals and service all around.

Leave the Best Western behind. Don't skimp on taking a Motel 6. Support local business and enjoy the conveniences of the Safari Motor Inn. I did and I have no regrets!

Jason Tand
Portland, Oregon

Room Tip: Ask for the couch / extra chair rooms.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Joshua Tree
BEST WESTERN Joshua Tree Hotel & Suites
BEST WESTERN Gardens Hotel at Joshua Tree National Park
BEST WESTERN Gardens Hotel at Jo...
#3 of 11 in Twentynine Palms
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites
Fairfield Inn & Suites Twentynine Palms-Joshua Tree National Park
Fairfield Inn & Suites Twentynin...
#1 of 11 in Twentynine Palms
9 Palms Inn
9 Palms Inn
#9 of 11 in Twentynine Palms
Pioneertown Motel
Pioneertown Motel
#1 of 1 in Pioneertown

Been to Safari Motor Inn - Joshua Tree? Share your experiences!