“Unique Compound with Your Own Walled / Gated Patio”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Joshua Tree
Spin and Margie's Desert Hideaway
Ranked #2 of 3 Joshua Tree B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Loved this place and think about it now and then, dreaming of super quiet days in my own private patio. We had the Sonoran Traveler and it was home away from home. Nicely supplied with books, DVDs and pantry supplies, clean and colorful. You could sit in the airy patio and read or go into the common area for barbecuing and chatting up people who might be nearby, though I imagine most are out hiking. I liked that your "compound" had its own gate with walls, it made it cozy and private. There is some noise from the highway which made the desert nights not quite as pristine as they could be. But that's just a quibble. We went over to Pappy and Harriet's and enjoyed some music, barbecue and whiskeys. Driving back it was tricky to find the entrance in the dark on the highway. I remembered there were some plastic flags or ties in the bushes near the entrance which was the only way I would have found my way back in. (Tip: set your odometer when you leave!) The people are really nice, but don't expect someone to be around the grounds to answer questions or change linens, etc. It's totally safe and professional though, I didn't have a single concern. So much better than a creepy motel on the highway, it's more like a private home or retreat, The grounds are neat btw, there's a sculpture garden of sorts made from desert detritus (someone said it was by Noah Purifoy but I can't swear to that), some willow trees and a dirt road stretching north towards the park. I could see myself zoning out in the patio and accidentally letting two days go by before I noticed. A unique place, I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We liked the Sonoran Traveler unit best - it has a large west-facing private patio which is walled a...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SoCalRambler

Reviewed January 10, 2012

I can't say enough good things about Spin and Margies. From beginning to end it was such a pleasure dealing with Mindy (one half of the wife, husband owner operated hideout), really going out of her way to ensure that I got the dates I was looking for. When I arrived I immediately felt good that the spot was off the main road, cool looking and very quiet. My room (which stood alone and had a private court) was adorable, very clean and had a big new bathtub which was great for soaking after a day in the desert. Mindy came by to make sure I had everything I needed (which was nice and welcoming ) then chatted for a minute and went on her way. Perfect. The internet worked great and when I had trouble with the availability at a local place of interest, Mindy again went out of her way to be helpful. Perfect location, great price, lovely hosts . . . . excellent spot, I loved it. Thanks Spin and Margies.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank nora b
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I have stayed here a number of times over the last few years and have never been disappointed. This is a charming place to hang your hat whether for a couple of nights or a week. It is close to the Park and all of its wonders. I can't wait to return to Spin and Margies.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank LosAngelesLeem
Reviewed January 8, 2012

From a Climber's perspective:
* Close to Joshua Tree's West Entrance, which is where many of the great areas are.
* Fantastic setup: courtyards with tables, fire pit, and bbq.
* Fun interior with everything you need to stay for a week.
* Spin and Margie are great people to work with; they're communicative and go out of their way to make arrangements for you.

Thanks!

Room Tip: Room 3 has a private deck area
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Will C
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This was our 2nd time visiting Spin and Margie's (the 1st was in 2008). Again we stayed in #4, and it was just as we remembered. This particular room includes a full, well stocked kitchen including such amenities as coffee, salt & pepper, soy sauce, olive oil... If you want to cook your meals, and you may want to in Joshua Tree given the limited restaurant choices, this is the perfect place to stay. One night we grilled a sirloin steak, made mashed potatoes and a salad. It was a LOT better than anything we could have found locally and a pleasure to eat at #4's kitchen table. The bathroom has a lovely fully tiled shower and a deep soaker tub ~ perfect after long hikes.

My only complaint about the place, and this is very minor, is that the door between the bathroom and kitchen is a light, louvered door. Everything that happens in the bathroom is heard in the kitchen. A thicker door would be a big improvement.

The owners are lovely people who do not intrude. They stop by once to make sure all is good, but that is likely they only time you will see them. If you want on site concierge services and hovering hosts, this is not the place for you. "Margie" has some wonderful adventures to share for the more intrepid traveler, just ask.

I hope it doesn't take 3 years for our 3rd trip. Joshua Tree and Spin & Margies is a wonderful place to enjoy the outdoor world.

Room Tip: Room #4 does not directly back up to the highway. I suspect sleeping here is a bit quieter than som...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2011

The location was close to many attractions; small towns & Joshua Tree Park. The details in the suites were great: clean, beautiful tile work, clever arrangement of furnishings for max. comfort. The grounds had so many areas to rest: view stars,the sun rise or set, enjoy the birds, and the desert gardens. Very friendly, efficient, artistic & relaxing atmosphere. I plan to book here again in early spring.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda F
Reviewed December 5, 2011

When we first arrived we were a little disappointed by how close this place was to Route 62, it seems so isolated but you definitely hear the traffic but we got used to it and totally appreciated much about Spin & Margie's. The kitchen is really perfectly supplied. They give you baggies and plastic wrap so you can easily pack your own lunch. We spent all our days in the park and didn't want to have to drive back out to grab lunch so the supplies were just right. The coffee was delicious. The queen bed in the main room was very comfy, our 12-year old wasn't so delighted with the fold out but she loved watching the hummingbirds in the morning at the fountains. (Mindy said they are planning on getting a day bed which will be much better) If you are a runner, run up the road (away from the highway) in the morning for an absolutely gorgeous jog. There are a bunch of excellent restaurants in Joshua Tree, the Indian place, the Thai place, Crossroads and the Three Sisters, and you could definitely be comfy at Spin & Margie's for an extended stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MASS_MoCA_is_great
Also consider these accommodations in or near Joshua Tree
Pioneertown Motel
Pioneertown Motel
#1 of 1 in Pioneertown
Fairfield Inn & Suites Twentynine Palms-Joshua Tree National Park
Fairfield Inn & Suites Twentynin...
#2 of 12 in Twentynine Palms
Best Western Gardens Hotel at Joshua Tree National Park
Best Western Gardens Hotel at Jo...
#3 of 12 in Twentynine Palms
10 mi away
Best Western Joshua Tree Hotel & Suites
Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - Joshua Tree National Park
Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - ...
#8 of 12 in Twentynine Palms
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites

Been to Spin and Margie's Desert Hideaway? Share your experiences!