“A Pilgrimage”

Mission San Antonio de Padua
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Jolon
Reviewed December 20, 2012

After loosing my wife of 27 years to cancer, I asked my Priest if it was crazy to think of taking my wife's ashes, picture and rosary on a pilgrimage to all 21 of the California Missions. He thought it was a great idea, so off I went, broken hearted and all ( A side note: I cried fiercely in every Mission, but no one bothered me. I was left to pray and grieve, sort of beautiful).

Mission San Antonio De Padua is the perfect place to go and remember a lost wife. It is the place Father Junipero Sara performed the first marriage ever done in what would become the western United States. It is set in a peaceful, reflection inspiring countryside that whispers ever presently "the past was beautiful, the present is beautiful, and the future is likely to be beautiful also".

I prayed my wife's rosary, walked the grounds, and spent the afternoon thinking of Linda and all the people who came before us and a little of those who would come after us. This mission is one of my most favorites (it is hard to beat Carmel or San Diego) because it is most like a window on time. Even the dirt parking lot is full of history. It is next to the weathered remains of original adobe.

I do not think one gets any extra treasure in Heaven for visiting a mission. But I find true pleasure in being at this Mission while thinking of my wife. I even bought a special high dollar rosary in the, way better than normal, gift shop to remember her by.

I am not big on praying to the Saints, so I am not trying to promote it here. Yet Saint Anthony is said to be the patron Saint of those who have lost stuff. The loss of my wife still crushes me, but I find my love for her growing more and more with the help of this Mission. Thanks to all who make that possible.

4  Thank Saltwaterjim

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Smaller than others, but it's alway interesting to visit the missions - true California history! Beautiful rolling hills in the surrounding area; Lake Naciemento is near and easy drive to the Coast.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Carefully restored in the late 1940's by the Hearst family. California as it used to be. No housing develpopments encroaching. On Fort Hunter Ligget and out of the way. Don't have to check in on the base any more to get to it. Bring food and have a full tank as there is none available there. Then take a great drive on the Nacimiento-Fergusson road over the Santa Lucia Mountains and down to the ocean. It is a breath taking drive.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

If you are history buff or if your 4th grader needs to see a mission, this is the one. Very rich history and the staff is very welcoming and knowledgable.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is one of the best missions in California, and unfortunately one of the least visited. The mission is about 30 minutes off Highway 101 near King City, and I think alot of people think it is too far to drive to. They couldn't be more wrong. It is a beautiful, peaceful drive though the countryside to get to the mission, and once you are there you feel like you are back in time.

The mission itself is beautiful, and the rose garden is outstanding. They have music playing in the church which just adds to the serenity of the experience.

They offer rooms to stay for individuals or groups. This also still operates as a parish with mass and community events.

Many foundations around from old buildings that are no longer standing, but you get a great feel for what the village of the mission was like.

Please visit this mission, you will not regret it.

2  Thank Aunteen