“Quirky in a good way”

Ocean Cove Lodge Bar & Grill
Berkeley, California
“Quirky in a good way”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We enjoyed our overnight stay here, digging on that 70s vibe! The staff at both the lodge and the restaurant were friendly and helpful, gregarious, and unpretentious (which was not the case at several other places we visited in the area). Jim the manager was helpful and knowledgeable. The drawback was skimpy amenities (a single small bar of soap for the sink and shower, too few towels, and a feeble bathmat that did not have a non-skid backing [hazardous!], and a hot tub not ready for guests yet). Room was very clean and comfortable, so they have done a nice job of renovating. Grounds are funny and quirky, with a pair of adult-sized swings, a slide, and a roadside sculpture featuring big driftwood skewered on something that looks like the Washington Monument. Fun! Right across the highway is the ocean, though we didn't see much of it through the fog.

We really enjoyed the restaurant food: well cooked salmon, deep fried squid steaks, and a good burger. Honest and unpretentious, with a really friendly server.

This place is a good value and fun, and we'd stay here again. (And next time, we're going to try to get one of the $69 rooms!)

Room Tip: Try room 5, with the gas fireplace.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davidspin

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2014

If you remember the Salt Point Lodge & Grill (and its owner) of years past, Ocean Cove Bar & Grill is a re-do of the best moments, while avoiding the miserable experiences provided by a subsequent owner. Thankfully, original owner has repurchased and made huge changes; hence the new name. As of 7/14 they're also serving breakfast at 9am. Restaurant, bar and patio all have full-on views.

The high points: Delicious breakfast, homemade biscuits, strong dark-roast coffee, attentive service, clean, remodeled dining room, $5 Bloody Mary, ocean view.

Repeat: $5 Bloody Mary. Generous pour, with freshly made mix. And, with a million dollar view. Our eggs & potatoes breakfast, around $7, was excellent. Easily the best breakfast, at a great price, in 30 miles.

If you're there on Sunday morning, there's a farmer's market from 10am-noon at nearby Fort Ross School.

Room Tip: My review is only for the Bar & Grill.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John H
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 2 days on our anniversary and have to say that Tom was fantastic. He was very polite, courteous and very friendly. He made our stay great. There are only 16 rooms with 2 upstairs that have private balcony and hot tubs. We had a upstairs room with private deck with hot tub facing the ocean. The view was fantastic. The room was very comfortable with a frig, microwave and coffee maker. In the morning there was fresh coffee and pastries, especially carrot cake that was really good. They have been remodeling for about 2 years and it is really nice. There are swings and a slide for the kids and a hot tub for the guests to use. Also there is a bar and grill on site. I would definitely recommend this to other people and family to stay. We will definitely be going back there again

Room Tip: Get room 17. It is upstairs with private balcony. Really nice
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Don M
Reviewed May 20, 2014

This place is 17 miles North of Jenner. We booked through Expedia for the standard room and paid $195 per night plus 21.45 (tax). Nowhere did I read that this place was 17 miles North of Jenner. We drove back and forth to find it. The sign in front says 69 and up so for the standard room I would have paid $69.00. So if we book through Expedia just to know that you have a room available ahead of time should one pay almost three times the price? I would give 4 stars if the price was 69 to 100. That was the first night of our vacation and felt cheated. The owner was nice but after seeing the price we paid did not have the decency to give us his best room. By the way the place was almost empty. I saw only 2 cars.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rajalakshmi K

Travelers are raving about these Jenner hotels

Palm Springs, California
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Not sure where to start. This is a 70's motel that other than a flat screen TV hasn't left the 70's. I won't go into the history suffice to say it's a long one.
Pros.. not really on the beach but across the road with a decent ocean view. GREAT bar & grill on the property with good food, good service, homey atmosphere like Cheers bar, all with fair prices and a one minute walk from your room. The flat screen TV's are on Dish satellite so you get lots of channels and HD TV pictures for free.. well included.
HEY it's a funky place that won't give you any stress and a decent cuppa coffee, bun and fruit awaits for you in the office in the morning.
The operator Tim is a very personable guy and will go the extra mile to make your stay fun.
Cons.. Okay.. for $143 with tax this is not an upscale joint by any stretch of the imagination so suck it it up cause it's 50+ miles in either direction to find another joint to lay yer head at these prices. Sure there's some $300+ a night joints near by.. this is not one of them. Deal with it!
No phones (a good thing right) no cell service (my gawd you'll have to talk to each other, now that's a novel idea eh) Internet from the dial up age so don't even dream of yer Netfix or your phone going out that way.
Anyway the place won't bite you and actually you might just find it cool, so enjoy.. I know if it was under $100 I would feel a lot better about it, but HEY I'm cheap.. ahh.. frugal .. yeah that's it.

Room Tip: Talk to Tim I hear some have a hot tub in them???
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank David K
Battle, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

This is a unusual place to stay. The views are fantastic and the manager Tom is really helpful, courteous, friendly, and knowledgeable about the local sights and places. The place looks like a motel, but is really more than that. Their name 'Lodge' is about right. Rooms are clean, and some have wood fire style stoves. There is a good hot tub, and again the views are fantastic over the cove. No breakfast, but Tim serves good coffee and homemade cakes and buns. The food in the grill is good. We enjoyed fish & chips, with homemade tartare sauce, homemade clam chowder, which is good, and a range of drinks. Prices are really fair and reasonable. I note the last reviewer's comment about ticks. Sorry that happened. They are endemic throughout California and it's good to be reminded and take sensible precautions wherever you are, like use a DEET bug spray, wear protective clothing, hot shower at the end of the day, and examine yourself.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Ocean Cove Motel should warn visitors of ticks that transmit disease!”

Ocean Cove was one of my favorite places and I had been there once before. So why the bad review? Last time I was there I got a tick bite that I did not see at the time, then I got the rash people often get exactly a week later, and then suffered a spinal "injury" of multiple disc rupture and herniation and over a year of pain and puking and migraines and so on since. I tested positive for Lyme disease and a parasitic co-infection, Babesia, from that tick bite - after struggling for months to figure it out.

My contracting Lyme Disease is of course no fault of Ocean Cove, but when I called them to report that news and ask that they put up a poster or something to warn people of ticks and Lyme and provide some prevention information, I got a dismissive response. They told me that local people know there is a high risk of ticks that carry Lyme Disease and other tick-borne diseases in the area. But people come to Ocean Cove from all over who don't have this information. I hope that the Owner/Staff at Ocean Cove can make the responsible decision to inform their customers, in the spirit of prevention and safety (and just plain customer service!).

I knew nothing of Lyme Disease and I was curious about the circular rash on my arm, but I forgot about it after my back injury until I got sicker. If I had any clue that ticks and Lyme were common in the Ocean Cove area, I may have been more aware to look out for ticks and/or symptoms, and known how important it is to treat it early and fast. Now I have brain swelling, spinal degeneration, gastro trouble and months of treatment to come.

For Ocean Cove frequenters - check for ticks (they are tiny!), learn how to remove them if you find them, know that you won't feel a bite because they emit something to numb the area, and know that adult ticks are now transmitting Lyme in that area Oct-May, on top of the Spring-Summer transmission time for nymph stage ticks. Thanks!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jenner
Timber Cove Resort
#3 of 5 in Bodega Bay
Bodega Coast Inn & Suites
Bodega Coast Inn & Suites
#4 of 5 in Bodega Bay

Been to Ocean Cove Lodge Bar & Grill? Share your experiences!