“Just plain weird, no one there”
Review of River's End Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jenner
River's End Resort
Reviewed November 13, 2009

We were there 2 days and did not see anyone who worked at the Inn.
We made our reservations on a Monday and we had a choice of any room (no other guests). I especially wanted to eat at the restaurant in the evenings. We called and said we were going to be there after 6 pm and they said they would leave the key in the room.
We got there at 7:30 and there was no one there. We settled in to our room. The next day we called and left a message with no reply. We left after 2 days and I got a call the following day. I asked why I wasn't told that the restaurant would be closed and no one available, and the lady acted like it was my problem. I will not be back.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank timsoccer

Reviewed November 3, 2009

We stayed in Room 5 at River's End Resort for the second time. It seemed a little smaller than I remembered it, but charming anyway. The room is located in a
very private area just below the restaurant. There are beautiful water views from the deck, bed, and shower. The only disturbing problem was the water temperature took long to go from icy cold to hot after a five minute wait. The bed and bed linens were the best features of the accommodations, but the restaurant should be heralded as one of the best in California and the United States. Service was a little slow, but it was crowded on a Monday night(!), and we were not in a hurry. The salmon and pasta were great dishes. All staff were very pleasant and accomodating. Well worth the price!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2009

I stayed for a few nights at River's End in Aug. 2009. I was in Cabin 2, which was nice and clean, though I agree with one reviewers that I would ditch the carpet. The view is very good, it's quiet, the staff is easy to deal with and low key. Only downer was I had no cell or broadband connection there. I did check out Cabin 5 and it looked very cozy and I like the view from the bathroom. I would definitely stay there again, and it's most reasonable.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank McGee_7
Reviewed March 15, 2009

We came here to see the harbor seals.... and that we did!!! I really still can't believe the view that this place provided. The night we arrived we looked out upon Goat Rock and saw the seals at the tip of the beach....little did we know that the next morning they would be swimming all around us.

We had dinner at The River's End during sunset and it was very nice. The food was good, the atmosphere was even better. The kumquat mojito was yummy and different!

We slept to the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks and beach, woke with sunrise and to see seals playing in the water beneath. I cannot tell you how exciting this was to me. This was the show that I came for. The in-room coffee maker was great, I made my husband and I a cup of coffee and we just sat on the deck in awe. This was a very relaxing, romantic way to spend our 8th anniversary.

Then we went to breakfast at the little Cafe Aquatic which was quaint with great coffee and breakfast sandwiches. We spent time at Goat Rock State Park which I still can't understand why I have never heard of this place sooner?! It is likely one of the most beautiful places in our country and yet kept secret!

The harbor seals were putting on quite a show and I am certainly thankful for these memories.

This is definitely a place to see before you die......but I think you have to time it right, to see the seals and their pups......this is one of the most amazing things I have seen in my lifetime.

Thanks River's End for the dining and the cabin, it was everything we needed and wanted it to be.....and more. Michelle Thompson-Olson and Shawn Olson Vienna, OH

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2008

I was a bit reluctant to stay here based upon several of the reviews I had read. I was so glad I took the gamble. My experience at River’s End was tremendous. I’m already anticipating my next stay there.

First, guests need to remember that these are, indeed, older cabins. They are not modern luxury suites (good luck finding anything like that on this stretch of the coast). With that said, the cabins are more than adequate. We stayed for two nights in Cabin 2 and one night in Cabin 4. Both featured queen beds (which were both immensely comfortable) and gas-flame stoves that were operated by a general thermostat in the room. We were there in August, but the stove would kick on in the wee hours of the morning, filling the room with warmth and light from the flame—very nice. The bathroom in Cabin 2 was quite a bit smaller than Cabin 4, but both featured sink, toilet and shower. Cabin 2 had two rather dated and ratty chairs in the living area. Cabin 4 had a much nicer leather loveseat. All cabins have coffee makers as well as spacious balconies that overlook a small bay and the Pacific. The views are amazing and the sunsets are unspeakable.

We spent every morning and evening watching the wildlife from our balcony: hummingbirds, family of quail, osprey, ducks, pelicans, sea gulls, harbor seals.

The cabins have no televisions or phones, which was a big plus for us. It allowed us to completely disengage. I do wish small fridges were available.

I have only a few modest complaints: the cabins could have been a touch cleaner. Both had layers of dust in certain areas (baseboards in bathrooms, baseboards around bed, dust saturated the area under the bed). Linens were clean and bathroom facilities were clean, so the basics were covered. A more thorough cleaning and updating of carpet would make a big difference though. I’m surprised the owners aren’t more in touch with this. With such a beautiful location, pride of ownership would seem more apparent.

Patience is needed with check-in and check-out. As others have noted, cabin customers have to work with the restaurant’s hostess. She clearly prioritizes restaurant customers, so you may find yourself waiting for several minutes until she can provide any attention. It’s a strange set up, but again, I’d stay here many more times in a heartbeat.

Aside from River’s End restaurant and the restaurant at Jenner Inn, dining options are hard to find. Bodega Bay is about 15 minutes south and offers several choices. Guerneville is about a 25-minute drive and offers more options. In the end, we bought a cooler to store our locally purchased cheeses and salamis and ate picnic-style every evening as we watched the sunset. We stocked up on other deli items one day at the Oakville Grocery in Healdsburg after exploring wineries in the area.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank Muriel12
Reviewed May 24, 2008

I found this property via Google Earth as a place to stay on the coast while visiting the western central Sonoma valley for my wife and I. Upon making the reservation, I started looking for pictures and found a few. None of them prepared me for the stunning sights and sounds.

The first evening, I made sure we were there in plenty of time for the sunset. Wow! Nature did not disappoint. Crystal clear skies helped the oranges, reds and other hues that illuminated everything as the sun sank over the rocks. Make sure you take your camera. The second night the fog rolled in. The rocks were barely visible and were more like ghosts. Since we had the marvelous sunset the night before, this was an interesting counterpoint.

The cabin we stayed in (#4) overlooked a small garden. There is a small gas fireplace in front of a leather love seat that looks out onto the balcony and ocean beyond. With the sliding glass door open, we were able to listen to waves in front of a fire (controlled by the thermostat) while sipping wine we had purchased earlier in the day. The bed and bedding was topnotch. My wife travels frequently for business and she rated the bed as one of the most comfortable she has ever slept on.

The room was clean and comfortable. There is no TV, but the view and proximity to wine country should give you "other" things to do with your significant other.

Overall, this was a perfect place for our first two nights and I would highly recommend it as a romantic getaway or even a place to pop the question: "red or white". The value is insane. Our cabin was one of the "big" cabins for $160/nt. We could have easily paid double that for the views and location. Fortunately all of the "well-heeled" prefer to pay through the nose to stay in Bodega Bay leaving this gem to those that don't need to impress others (which is funny since we were incredibly impressed with the property).

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank NoSlackers
Reviewed December 19, 2007

The River's End was everything I pictured it to be. The room was spacious enough with a gas fireplace, leather loveseat to watch the incredible sunsets on and an amazingly conformable bed. The dinner at the River's End restaurant was incredible. I count it was one of the best unpretentious meals I have ever experienced.

If you are looking for 4-star luxury the River's End will not suffice. However, if you are looking for a cozy, quite, relaxing and romantic getaway I would reccommend the River's End hands down.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jenner
Timber Cove Resort
#1 of 1 in The Sea Ranch
Bodega Coast Inn & Suites
Bodega Coast Inn & Suites
#4 of 5 in Bodega Bay

Been to River's End Resort? Share your experiences!