“We can wander at will”
Review of Fort Ross Lodge

Fort Ross Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Jenner
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This get-away provided privacy, comfort and an affordable price. Easy access to lots of hiking and beach-combing. Tom called it to our attention that the birds on the drive must have had babies-- and they gave us plenty of attention when we walked to the store. We also saw the local fox and heard lots of local stories about wildlife. Great birding.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were running out of places to go on a beautiful August weekend. We remembered we had been here once before and thought we would try again. My wife called and had a great conversation with Sheila who gave us a couple options.
When we arrived although we were just a tad bit early for check in they said our room was ready. A very open feeling room up on the hill gave views of the ocean as the fog went out and came in like the waves. We had stopped in Bodega on the way out and got some Salmon and oysters to go along with a small steak and a bottle of wine. Cooked on a charcoal Webber it could have not been better.
We also enjoyed our in room sauna and jacuzzi as well as a nice bistro set on the deck to play a game and enjoy the views with a glass of Pinot..
I do have to say the walls were just a little thin but I do not think we bothered the neighbors too much, hehe ;)
Tom and Sheila were very accommodating and I would (already have) recommend this to my friends. We will be back

Room Tip: I like the views from up on the hill,
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This lodge was terrific! The room we had was charming and peaceful. Tom and Sheila provided us with all the amenities, including real firewood and starter for the wood-burning fireplace; candle and matches; wine glasses and corkscrew; cheese board and cutter; and charcoal and starter for the outside BBQ to make our own dinner! The room was spotless, the grounds were well taken care of with a community sun room to relax in and a community spa for those who did not choose to stay in a room with a private spa. The lodge itself has a Jenner address, but is 14 miles north of the city of Jenner, reached as you leave the town via a winding and somewhat scary road that snakes up the side of the mountain overlooking the ocean below. However, when leaving, Sheila provided us an alternate route that was delightful in comparison and not frightening at all!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were traveling as a family to the Fort Ross festival. These cottages are about a mile from the fort. We had a friendly greeting by the owners, fresh cookies for the kids and they informed us of nearby restaurants. The room had an ocean view, was nice, cozy and clean. The beds were comfortable. Lots of nearby hiking and nature walks.

I would recommend this lodge to anyone wanting a quiet get away. There is no cellular service and the rooms do not have a phone. There is a pay phone outside the office if you must make that call. They did ask if we needed internet, we opted to turn off all our electronic gadgets and enjoy the ocean.

Room Tip: Call them in advance. Some rooms have a wood burning fireplace and direct ocean view, other rooms a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had lowered expectations after reading some of the reviews but was swayed by the strong positive ones, and I am so glad I was. This place is a gem and I am already planning to come back with my husband. I wanted a special place to have a special mother-daughter weekend, where my 88-year-old mother could relax and enjoy the coast without hiking down a cliff or even going outside. For the price, which promised 2 double beds, full ocean view, fireplace, and private patio (among other amenities), I DID expect some 70s-style cottage with threadbare towels and faded sheets, as some obviously old reviews complained about. We were greated by Sheila, who is the property manager with her husband Tom, and her triple chocolate chip cookies. She assured me that we would absolutely love our stay. She told me where to get charcoal to use the grill on the private patio, that the sauna was broken (didn't realize they had one), but that the hot tub was always hot. Some rooms have private hot tubs, but ours did not. I had booked one of the rooms with 2 double beds, #4, and I highly recomend it. We went to the unit, which is on the end of four, and were pleasantly surprised at how luxe it was. The main room has 2 double beds with black iron frames, very good mattresses, and neutral, newish bedding including a Vellux blanket, 4 pillows to a bed and 1 extra in closet. the beds face a sliding glass door with a total ocean view beyond the grasy bluff. There is a round table with 2 chairs, good for eating and playing games. It had a cutting board, knife, corkscrew, 2 wine glasses, and a candle. The kitchen has a stainless steel sink, microwave, small fridge, black countertop, and dishtowel. The bathroom was fantastic, with a huge garden tub and many fluffy neutral colored towels. There are enough screened windows and doors to crack to get fresh air. The fireplace is a frestanding stove type and a big rack of pine logs plus a firestarter log were provided. Oh, and a large TV with sattelite and DVD that we rarely turned on. There is a very nice spa and sunroom down the slope from where we were. I enjoyed the 104-degree water with nicely working jets and bubbler, while my mother read magazines in the warm, plant-filled sunroom. I also walked a path to the cliff edge, where I could see the magnificant Benjamin Bufano Peace Obelisk just north by the Timber Cove Inn. Sheila recommended a local restaurant, the Ocean Cove Bar and Grill (great clam chowder) for our 2nd night's dinner, which is reasonable and very good, and about 3 miles north. And later, when I realized I had locked us out of our room, Tom graciously came immediately to let us in. If you are looking for a great place that is also a great value, this is it. I would like to stay at Timber Cove sometime, and eat every meal at Alexander's, but until I have $1,000 or more to throw around, I will be back here. Bring your own plates and bowls, cutlery, dish soap, paper towels, and an ice chest if you have a lot of food/drink. I also brought my own coffee but used their pot. (They provide Wolfgang Puck coffee, but it's not as strong as we like.) Overall, as close to perfection as we could wish.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank EnviroSci
TinaRomeo, Front Office Manager at Fort Ross Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review of our lodge. We enjoyed your recent visit and hope to host you again very soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We decided to go to Ft.Ross lodge after leaving Yosemite and heading to San Francisco, where we had planned on finishing our vacation. At the last minute, we decided to visit Trip Advisor to see if we could book a place to stay in Jenner instead. What a great decision!! Loved it & thanks to Debbie -who helped us get there find the place. Ended up booking 2 nights!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for you wonderful review of our lodge. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Loved our get away experience. My husband and I went on our first get away as a couple since our daughter was born. We loved the great location right off Highway 1, cozy rooms with all the amenities including in room fireplaces, sun room to relax, and great area to watch sunsets! Very helpful and friendly staff. We highly recommend this for couples to get away and even for families. No pool but has a hot tub and sun room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind review of your recent visit to our lodge. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. Looking forward to having you stay in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jenner
Timber Cove Resort
Best Western Dry Creek Inn
Occidental Hotel
Occidental Hotel
#1 of 1 in Occidental

Been to Fort Ross Lodge? Share your experiences!