“Great Place to get away”

1859 Historic National Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Jamestown B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 17, 2008

My wife and I Just returned from a weekend at the National. When we arrived we were checked in by the bartender, which we thought was a little different. But it only took about 10 Min. to figure out this was not an ordinary place. This was a well kept place to relax and enjoy the old way of life. We retired up to our room to relax after the drive and small work day, it was the first time my wife had taken a nap in many years. Their staff was Great and treated us like family. The food at the resturant was awsome and so was the service. The only complaint was the room airconditioner was not keeping the room cool. I found that the filter was cloged and brought it to the owners attention. He not only fixed mine but told me he would have them checked in all of the rooms..Even though it is only August, my wife and I already booked our room for New Years Eve. If you are looking for a place where they make sure the needs of all the guests are taken careof and you just want to disapear for a couple of days, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lawnmanfresno
There are newer reviews for 1859 Historic National Hotel

Reviewed August 12, 2008

You won’t believe this… My wife and I were looking forward to a nice romantic dinner and stay. Started out at dinner we asked for bread and ordered an appetizer, and there were only two other couples have dinner. We got our appetizer 25min later we got bread. Then I ordered a chicken dinner with fresh cold water shrimp, but the shrimp was small frozen bay shrimp and the chicken was beat to death and, looked like it had already been ate. It tasted horrible my wife also agreed so I asked for the waiter to pick a chicken dinner out for me. He picked a dish that had ground sausage on top of chicken using the same piece of chicken from my first dish just re cooked it, and the dish looked like dog food on chicken. I tried it, and with a straight face gave my wife a bite which she spit in to her napkin. At this point I didn’t want to make a seen in front of the other two couples so I told our waiter to bring my check to the bar. When the check arrived he said he was very sorry he just works as directed by his employer, which I didn’t understand till I looked at the bill. They had charged be for 3 dinners, and both dishes I had one bite as did my wife. I asked to speak with the manager, and got the owner Steve that told me, “We never has had complaints about the food,” and there was nothing wrong, and that I was going to have to pay for the 3 dinners I didn’t eat. I asked him if there was some were else in town I could eat in town, but due to how late it was Steve instructed me to go to the gas station to get my dinner. I was in disbelief that someone would actually run a business that way. As he walked away another guest approached with a problem about their bed in the room. Steve then said, “We never have complaints about the beds.” For a place that never has complaints sure does have a lot of complaints if you know what I’m saying. I wanted to see this guys rooms as we exchanged stories I could believe the condition of the mattress you could see the imprint of two body’s and how bad the mattress was so I went to my room the same worst meal worst night sleep I have ever had the room is the size of a closet! Dinner for two $92 with 2 drinks 1 appetizer room $184 = $276 for the worst stay ever for one night…I forgot they charged me for a TV also so I could watch some of the Olympics…My Birthday weekend from hell :(…

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank HeXoR
national2, Proprietor at 1859 Historic National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2008

We have operated our boutique hotel and restaurant for over 30 years, always with the goal of attaining a high level of service and customer satisfaction. Still there is the extremely rare guest that we just cannot make happy.
We could go on to write a response that counters each of these remarks, including those that did not make it into print, but we feel that it would be beside the point.
Our wonderful and professional staff should not be demeaned by someone who appeared to be highly intoxicated and despite stating he did not want to make a scene, certainly did. We believe he may be unhappy in general and are sorry that he suffers.

Reviewed August 11, 2008

We booked the "last room" that they had, for a Blues Festival weekend. We were excited to stay at this Hotel, due to the triple A rating and the historic factor. We specifically was told by Micheal that we would have room 7 with the double shower. We were also told that the beds had new 2 1/2 inch memory foam and everyone commented on their comfort. So we booked the reservation. We arrived at 5 pm on August 8th. Brian gave us the tour and showed us to our room..ROOM 4, NO DOUBLE SHOWER, AND THAT MEMORY FOAM BED? Well it had about 10 years of someone else's memory. The dips in the bed were horrible and the room was soo small. So we told Brian this is not what we reserved, he explained that he would speak to STEVE the owner and get us taken care of. So we did not unpack, we went to Sonora for dinner, and we asked when we got back if we could move to Room 7. NO, STEVE WAS NOT IN YET AND HE WOULD LEAVE NOTES. OK, so we unpacked and said to heck with it. But we tossed and turned all night due to the awful bed, and i mean AWFUL!! We had to get up at 4:30 am so each of us could shower, hence why we wanted the double shower to save us some time. And by the way, the single shower is very very small!! BUT we went to the Festival and got back around 10 and guess who was ther STEVE THE OWNER. No he had not read any notes and yes they would take 30.00 off for each nights stay. WE WANTED TO GO HOME AND WANTED THE SECOND NIGHT REIMBURSED, BUT NO HE COULD NOT DO THAT. We should have left but we stayed another torturous night. Got up at 5 am got dressed, packed and ready to leave. I feel for 160.00 a night, we should have been given the room we reserved and since they could not do that ( overbooking maybe?) STEVE should have given us a free night. When we showed Heather the bed, she said, well lets look for the memory foam and i said hay it doesn't matter, the bed is lopsided and has these BIG dips in them, its a back breaker and she said well we don't sleep on them ourselves so how could we know!!
I will say that through all of this BRIAN, STEVE AND HEATHER were professional and did not demean us.
Would we stay there again, no. But it was a very quaint Hotel and a nice one to tour only.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank daytripper258
national2, Manager at 1859 Historic National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2008

The misunderstanding regarding this room booking is truly unfortunate. Room 7 had been booked several months prior to this guest making his reservation, and room 4 was the one room available when he booked, though it sounds as if he reviewed room 7 photos on our website.
We have what are considered extra firm mattresses in our rooms. We added memory foam to each mattress a year ago because some guests suggested that the beds were too firm for their comfort. It was not the mattress that showed a dip, but the memory foam on top of it. This guest had stated he had a partially fused spine and had difficulty sleeping on most hotel mattresses in general.
When the confusion over the room and mattress issue were brought to the proprietors attention with the explanation of bad back and special needs, he immediately offered to find the guest alternate lodging in another hotel in the area where he might be happier and release him from his reservation . The guest declined, saying that he would rather stay. When asked what would make him happy he said “you could give me a $25 discount for each night”. The proprietor then suggested $30 off per night. Our guest said that the discount would be wonderful. At no time did our guest indicate he wanted to go home or have his room comped, and had already declined our offer to find other lodging.
It was quite a surprise to find out this gentleman was still unhappy with us since we had taken his concerns so seriously and really tried to find a solution that would work best for him. It’s very nice that he found us to be very professional, but we would rather he left us as a happy guest who might return again someday.

Reviewed August 1, 2008

We drove into town around 9 p.m. not knowing where we would stay. Luckily, the National Hotel had a room, since they have only 9 available. It was also the only hotel in the downtown area with someone staffing the front desk late at night. We didn't want to pay this much for a room since we weren't staying long, but it was a clean and quiet place to sleep. I am not sure why they have teddy bears on the beds, though, it seems a bit cheesy to me.

We stayed in room #3, which had a private bath. We were shown the soaking tub, but I was weary about using a shared tub, do they clean it after every use? The sinks in the bathroom have separate cold and hot water faucets. I had a difficult time trying to get the right temperature to wash my face. Also, there are no TVs in the rooms, you can pay $3 for them to wheel one in your room, assuming they have enough. We had no trouble accessing the free wireless internet from our room.

We heard about the resident "ghost" Flo. She is supposedly seen and experienced more frequently in rooms #3 and #7, and there are notes from previous guests in the journals on the night stand. We wanted to know more behind the story since we are interested in these things, but we couldn't find anyone with much to say about it. Unfortunately, we didn't see her either.

The breakfast was ok, more than your cereal and pre-packaged danishes, but we got there shortly after is was set up and the french toast was already cold despite the sterno. The quiche was soggy and cold, and there were cold hard-boiled eggs. I tried a few things but ended up with raisin bran and fruit.

The next morning we stuck around until 10 a.m. to try the Gold Panning trip offered from the shop across the street. It was fun, but too hot to get much accomplished. Panning without a sluicebox is about useless.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I have just returned from a four night stay at the National Hotel with my little dog, Gabby. We had a marvelous time and found both staff and management to be professional and friendly, handling any requests immediately and cheerfully. The rooms were charming, well appointed and clean. The restaurant has an ambitious menu and the dishes I ordered were delicious and beautifully presented. The entire staff made an effort to make us feel comfortable while appearing to enjoy their work at the same time. I would not hesitate to recommend the National to anyone passing through Jamestown wanting to experience the ambience of the bygone Gold Rush era.

Gail Holan
Tucson, AZ

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We came across the National Hotel by chance and arrived quite late and tired after a long day driving. The manager (Michael) was warm and friendly and insisted on showing us our room before we booked it. He also pointed out that the restaurant was open until 10 o'clock in case we needed a meal.
It was like going back in time and this old western style property with balcony and original bar with beautifully preserved fittings is a must for anyone who is interested in the historical aspect of the area. As we sat at the original 1890's bar and enjoyed a cool drink Michael filled us in on the history of the place including the town of Jamestown.
We ate in the hotel restaurant. Although it was very late Sam the chef prepared an excellent meal and this was served by Joyce who was very professional but also friendly and happy to answer all our questions.
We were amazed at the attention to detail in the decor of this old hotel and how well it has been preserved. We had stayed in the usual type of hotels during our holiday and this one was completely different. It retains an old world charm and a homely atmosphere with books for guests, a lovely wooden balcony at the upstairs front of the property where you can relax, read and have a drink.
The age and the history of the hotel does not in any way compromise the cleanliness and high quality of the fittings.
It is true that our room was not very big, had a small enough but adequate bathroom, did not have a TV and there was no view from the window - but that is the nature of an old preserved hotel which has had as little alteration as possible in order to retain its characher and anyway who needs all that when you can enjoy soaking up the history of the place, examine the old photographs and pretend to be a cowboy?

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bonniepippa
Reviewed July 3, 2008

We stayed at the National Hotel for one night on our way to Yosemite. Upon check-in, we were given a tour and history of the hotel and then shown to our beautiful room, #7. My husband was charmed. The tile in the double shower needed some re-grouting, but everything else was spotless. A very comfortable bed, complete with teddy bear! Breakfast was delicious, and we had a nice conversation with the owner while we ate. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shampel99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
Jamestown Hotel
#3 of 7 in Groveland
Sonora Inn
Sonora Inn
#4 of 8 in Sonora

Been to 1859 Historic National Hotel? Share your experiences!