“A Warm and Friendly Home Away from Home”
Review of The Palm Hotel

The Palm Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Jamestown B&B and Inns
Tokyo, Japan
“A Warm and Friendly Home Away from Home”
Reviewed January 31, 2008

My family lives in this area so I visit here about once a year from my home in Japan. I've stayed in a lot of the motels around here and this time I wanted something different. Victorian Gold is great! It totally fits the mood of the Gold Rush era and it's easy to imagine that you have slipped back in time.
I stayed for 8 days and felt completely at home. Anita and Ken are enthusiastic and obviously love running a B & B. She is a wonderful cook and every morning breakfast was a new surprise. If you like to chat, they'll happily oblige and beguile you with interesting stories. If you aren't up to chatting in the morning, they'll respect your wish for silence. Just tell them what you need and they'll bend over backwards to see your needs are met.
This is so much better than staying in a motel or hotel where people just pass each other silently in the hallway. Here, the other guests and I all felt so relaxed, we'd greet each other at breakfast and have interesting conversations about our travels.
I'll definitely stay at Victorian Gold again.

• Liked — Friendly and beautiful atmosphere
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Silicon Valley, CA
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Delightful restful place to stay. My wife and I have stayed here 3 or 4 times over the past several years, starting with the previous owners when it was called The Palm Hotel and before the new paint job.

It's far enough off the main street that it's quiet yet it's close enough to walk down the hill to the shops or a few blocks to the railroad to wander around the rail yard and shop building.

We have always had delicious breakfasts and even the room we have had several times on the first floor sharing walls with the sitting room and hallway is quiet. It's wonderful to have central A/C rather than a noisy window unit of a typical motel. You NEED to have A/C in the Sierra foothills to be comfortable during all but the winter months!!!!

We've eaten on the main street several times and had good food at places suggested by the hosts. My wife however is partial to Bammy's in Sonora only a short drive away.

We can certainly recommend it as a great place to stop for the night when you're driving on through Yosemite to the Eastern Sierra as we usually are and want a break. But if you just want a destination where you can "kick back and relax" it's a great place and convenient to Sonora and Columbia as well.

We have reservations for July this year to stay for a night...

• Liked — Location and away from the crowds
  • Disliked — The entire western Sierra is HOT during the warmer months of the year and the roads can be crowded on weekends especially.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Travelerzz2
Southern California
Reviewed February 15, 2007

My husband and I spent two nights at the Victorian Gold. What a wonderful place to stay! The decor was stunning...felt as though I was in a different time and place. It was spotlessly clean. I loved the food and was so pleased that recipes were available for me to take home. Breakfast began with serve-yourself coffee with a variety of creamer flavors (yum) followed by fruit and homemade danish. When we finished that course our empty plate were replace with a hot entree that was hugely satisfying. After spending time walking through the town, we returned for a short rest it was wonderful to have fresh biscotti to enjoy with a cup of self-serve coffee. I couldn't decide which flavor of biscotti to choose so chose both - and didn't regret it! When it was time to go to bed I was happy with the quality of the mattress and the little extra of being able to choose a DVD to enjoy before drifting off to sleep. If you are looking for a great place to relax with great food and atmosphere, go visit the Victorian Gold B&B.

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — nothing to complain about
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank teachersteacher
Mira Loma California
Reviewed February 12, 2007

OMG that last review was sooo fallacious. I’ve been going to this Bed and Breakfast for the past 2 years, and have been back at least 6 times. The place is like going back in time. I feel like I’m in a Norman Rockwell painting.

The house is rustic and meticulously immersed in Victorian charm. Not to mention the pastoral and idyllic surroundings. This is a perfect getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city. I go to a B&B to see countrified surroundings and this is one place I know I can unwind.

The food, to say the least, is impeccable. I know for a fact, my wife studied culinary arts in France, no less, and we remarked on how well the preparation and taste of the food was.

And to remark on bottled water...----Kirkland’s bottled water is Premium.

The owners’ deportment is extraordinarily sincere and gracious. I always stay longer at the breakfast table because I cannot get enough of the engaging and delightful conversations with the hosts as well as the other guests. They have to pry me away because there’s other guest waiting their turn to have their breakfasts.

I highly recommend staying in this B&B, if not for the food alone!!!! I am always checking my diet out the door every time I’m staying there.

• Liked — The Food
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank krcocjin
San Bernardino
Reviewed January 28, 2007

My wife and I spent a weekend in Gold country, and had a wonderful time at the Victorian Gold bed and breakfast. It was very well priced, and not on the main street, which made you feel like you were actually living back in the 1900s. The atmosphere in and out was awesome. We were treated with great respect and warmth, and were given our space to feel at home. The breakfast was to die for! All the food was homemade, and had a very personl touch. I even got to take some of the lemon pull cake home with me!! If you're looking to stay somewhere other than your typical hotel, this is it! We will definitely be back

• Liked — The food-lots of it and so tasty!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank travelinman33
U.S.
Reviewed November 4, 2006

This B&B was Okay and perhaps a little pricey for what you get. We didn't especially get warm feelings from the owners. Seems like they want to just escort you to your room and serve you breakfast and just collect their fee. Not the friendliest Innkeepers I've met... No personality, kinda drab.

The B&B is a nice old victorian building, but it faces a dumpy area that has some trailers and other assorted weird artifacts.

The rooms are nice with victorian antiques. The breakfast was horrible. We sat with some other people and could not identify what was on the plate. Looked like mashed potatoes with pieces of chicken mixed in (for breakfast???) Very strange. Looked and tasted like last night's leftovers. They have a remarkably good selection of interesting teas, however, the coffee tasted generic and weak. We had to buy a stronger cup within an hour.

And, lasty, when your spending $150 night, some nice bottled water would be nice, not the Costco Kirkland signature brand...

• Liked — Walking distance to main street
  • Disliked — Breakfast and attitude of InnKeepers.
  • Tips/Secrets — There are plenty of other wonderful lodging aspects. We just picked a weekend where everything was booked!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank Romanchick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
Gunn House Hotel
1859 Historic National Hotel
Country Inn Sonora
Country Inn Sonora
#5 of 5 in Jamestown

Been to The Palm Hotel? Share your experiences!