“Value Gold Country Bed and Breakfast”
Review of The Palm Hotel

The Palm Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Jamestown B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Our family of 14 (ages 10 to over 50) descended on Anita and Ken at the Victorian Gold B&B for our annual family get together. Their rooms are flexible enough to accommodate our various sleeping arrangements (with 3 and 4 persons in some of the rooms) that are not generally found in many B&Bs. They even reconfigured their dining area to accommodate our group for breakfast. One of the morning we had to get to Groveland early for our rafting trip (highly recommended Sierra Mac), Anita gamely cooked a hot breakfast with scramble eggs and sausages for our group of 14 at 7:00 am (we were expecting continental only). Her homemade biscotti was a hit with many midnight cookie raids.

Jamestown is a central location for many activities and by using Victoria Gold as a base we did the aforementioned rafting in Groveland (45 min drive); went to Black Oaks Casino for bowling, casino and buffet dinner one night (20 min); Jamestown for gold prospecting/panning (2 min); Columbia for live theatre (Annie-great cast) (20 min); Sonora for dinner (10 min); Moaning Cavern for ziplining, caving, rappeling (35 min'ish). Would have gone to horseback riding--Ken was trying to arrange for us--but we dawdled and did not decide until the morning of--and could not get a reservation.

We drove by the Groveland and Sonora area accommodations we had considered to stay. Given the location, cost, hospitality, and quaintness, we were very glad to have stayed in Victoria Gold.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 4, 2011

Traveling to Yosemite at the height of summer leaves almost no options for close, affordable lodging. This B&B is an hours+ drive to the park but was worth it. The decor was excellent, the food was superb (although too much), and the accomodations very comfortable. The cookies and tea available 24 hours was a nice touch. We never made it back in time to visit the stores in town but did enjoy a few meals at different restaurants (sit outside at the National Hotel for a great dinner). It's a short drive to Sonora.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We recently stayed for four days while visiting Yosemite National Park. I picked the large room , Sunset (?), because it was my wife and son and because, as usual, we way over packed and had a lot of stuff. The room was just right, big and airy and was very comfortable. We slept with the porch door open and the fresh cool air was fantastic. The breakfasts were good but make sure you tell the staff if you have any dietary issues.
It's a bit of a ride to Yosemite, about an hour to the Big Oak Flat Gate, but not a big deal. I would definitely stay here again. It was a bit pricey but for the size of the room it was well worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2011

My family of 5 stayed here in June while traveling to Yosemeti. The rooms were nicely decorated and comfortable. Our room did have have shades to pull down to block out any light. The breakfast was extremely good. The innskeeper was polite and his wife was very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dduck140
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I'll say this place bu innkeeper is very rude and annoying .. though the lady who cooks breakfast is nice but you don't really want to deal with someone so rude over ur vacation ,
do you !! so g to this palce only if all other are booked .

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank iTravel612
Reviewed June 1, 2011

The building is nice. The decoration was not to my taste.
The room and bathroom where of good size; However, the bed was very uncomfortable and none of the windows had curtains on them (I noticed this in all the other bedrooms as well). I'm a light sleeper, so the mixture of a hard bed an no way to keep the light out in the early AM made me miserable. I tossed and turned all morning waiting for 8:30 AM to roll by when breakfast (which was very good) was served.
Also, I had some of the worst allergy reactions (waking up totally stuffy) that I have ever had. Don't know how old that pink wall to wall carpet is, but I felt perfectly fine once I got home.
I love staying in Bed and Breakfast's and have done so all over the U.S. - Especially near National Parks. I love spending an entire day hiking, swimming etc.. and getting back to a comfy room to rest so I can do it again the next day. I got to do all of that while staying at the Victorian Gold, minus the comfy part... and, really, for $120+ a night one should really be able to get a good night sleep.

I recommend them to get some new beds, put some curtains up (or start serving breakfast at 7 AM - since I was awake with the sun) and clean those carpets.

Room Tip: not sure
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ticolocosf
Reviewed July 20, 2008

My Husband and I took a short trip up to the foothills and stayed at the Victorian Gold B&B. The B&B was very quiet and we loved the victorian decor. The breakfasts were GREAT. The Host were very helpful. We had a nice little holiday only a hour away. The rooms all have their own bathrooms and you can rent DVD's for the nights you like to stay in. The Jamestown area has many different activities. Railroad historical park, Great dinner dinning. Don't pass by Stoagies if you enjoy cigars or imported beers.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
Gunn House Hotel
Aladdin Inn
Aladdin Inn
#3 of 8 in Sonora
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Royal Carriage

Been to The Palm Hotel? Share your experiences!