“Great Breakfast!”
Review of The Palm Hotel

The Palm Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Jamestown B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 30, 2011

My family of 5 stayed here in June while traveling to Yosemeti. The rooms were nicely decorated and comfortable. Our room did have have shades to pull down to block out any light. The breakfast was extremely good. The innskeeper was polite and his wife was very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dduck140

Reviewed June 5, 2011

I'll say this place bu innkeeper is very rude and annoying .. though the lady who cooks breakfast is nice but you don't really want to deal with someone so rude over ur vacation ,
do you !! so g to this palce only if all other are booked .

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank iTravel612
Reviewed June 1, 2011

The building is nice. The decoration was not to my taste.
The room and bathroom where of good size; However, the bed was very uncomfortable and none of the windows had curtains on them (I noticed this in all the other bedrooms as well). I'm a light sleeper, so the mixture of a hard bed an no way to keep the light out in the early AM made me miserable. I tossed and turned all morning waiting for 8:30 AM to roll by when breakfast (which was very good) was served.
Also, I had some of the worst allergy reactions (waking up totally stuffy) that I have ever had. Don't know how old that pink wall to wall carpet is, but I felt perfectly fine once I got home.
I love staying in Bed and Breakfast's and have done so all over the U.S. - Especially near National Parks. I love spending an entire day hiking, swimming etc.. and getting back to a comfy room to rest so I can do it again the next day. I got to do all of that while staying at the Victorian Gold, minus the comfy part... and, really, for $120+ a night one should really be able to get a good night sleep.

I recommend them to get some new beds, put some curtains up (or start serving breakfast at 7 AM - since I was awake with the sun) and clean those carpets.

Room Tip: not sure
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ticolocosf
Reviewed July 20, 2008

My Husband and I took a short trip up to the foothills and stayed at the Victorian Gold B&B. The B&B was very quiet and we loved the victorian decor. The breakfasts were GREAT. The Host were very helpful. We had a nice little holiday only a hour away. The rooms all have their own bathrooms and you can rent DVD's for the nights you like to stay in. The Jamestown area has many different activities. Railroad historical park, Great dinner dinning. Don't pass by Stoagies if you enjoy cigars or imported beers.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2008

My family lives in this area so I visit here about once a year from my home in Japan. I've stayed in a lot of the motels around here and this time I wanted something different. Victorian Gold is great! It totally fits the mood of the Gold Rush era and it's easy to imagine that you have slipped back in time.
I stayed for 8 days and felt completely at home. Anita and Ken are enthusiastic and obviously love running a B & B. She is a wonderful cook and every morning breakfast was a new surprise. If you like to chat, they'll happily oblige and beguile you with interesting stories. If you aren't up to chatting in the morning, they'll respect your wish for silence. Just tell them what you need and they'll bend over backwards to see your needs are met.
This is so much better than staying in a motel or hotel where people just pass each other silently in the hallway. Here, the other guests and I all felt so relaxed, we'd greet each other at breakfast and have interesting conversations about our travels.
I'll definitely stay at Victorian Gold again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Delightful restful place to stay. My wife and I have stayed here 3 or 4 times over the past several years, starting with the previous owners when it was called The Palm Hotel and before the new paint job.

It's far enough off the main street that it's quiet yet it's close enough to walk down the hill to the shops or a few blocks to the railroad to wander around the rail yard and shop building.

We have always had delicious breakfasts and even the room we have had several times on the first floor sharing walls with the sitting room and hallway is quiet. It's wonderful to have central A/C rather than a noisy window unit of a typical motel. You NEED to have A/C in the Sierra foothills to be comfortable during all but the winter months!!!!

We've eaten on the main street several times and had good food at places suggested by the hosts. My wife however is partial to Bammy's in Sonora only a short drive away.

We can certainly recommend it as a great place to stop for the night when you're driving on through Yosemite to the Eastern Sierra as we usually are and want a break. But if you just want a destination where you can "kick back and relax" it's a great place and convenient to Sonora and Columbia as well.

We have reservations for July this year to stay for a night...

3  Thank Travelerzz2
Reviewed February 15, 2007

My husband and I spent two nights at the Victorian Gold. What a wonderful place to stay! The decor was stunning...felt as though I was in a different time and place. It was spotlessly clean. I loved the food and was so pleased that recipes were available for me to take home. Breakfast began with serve-yourself coffee with a variety of creamer flavors (yum) followed by fruit and homemade danish. When we finished that course our empty plate were replace with a hot entree that was hugely satisfying. After spending time walking through the town, we returned for a short rest it was wonderful to have fresh biscotti to enjoy with a cup of self-serve coffee. I couldn't decide which flavor of biscotti to choose so chose both - and didn't regret it! When it was time to go to bed I was happy with the quality of the mattress and the little extra of being able to choose a DVD to enjoy before drifting off to sleep. If you are looking for a great place to relax with great food and atmosphere, go visit the Victorian Gold B&B.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank teachersteacher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
Gunn House Hotel
Aladdin Inn
Aladdin Inn
#3 of 8 in Sonora
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Royal Carriage

Been to The Palm Hotel? Share your experiences!