“A must visit in Gold Country”

Gold Prospecting Adventures
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Jamestown
More attraction details
Owner description: As seen on every major network including Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, Discovery and History Channels, Tokyo TV, CBS and read about in the New York Times, The San Francisco Chronicle, the Shock Family has some of the most experienced and knowledgeable prospectors in all of Gold Country. We will open doors for the novice to the professional that you may have not known existed. You may lose your pictures but you will never forget the memories. Come have a blast into the past finding gold and learning the art of prospecting on the historic Woods Creek. The surest way to ensure the future is by touching the past.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This place is great. You can almost sense the ghosts of gold miners past here, and feel yourself transported back to what is was like during the gold rush. Brent is my kind of guy, too - a straight shooting, straight talking, no BS kind of guy who will tell you everything you'll need, and need to know, to start finding those elusive nugget up in the hills (or just have a great time trying). I especially appreciated his honesty when it came to what books and tools I would need to buy - he could easily have sold me so much more the day that I paid him and his great team a visit, but had the integrity to only furnish me with what I needed to start with, nothing more. I will be going back as soon as I can (and as often as I can). I recommend this place unconditionally for anyone looking for a great gold and gold country adventure, big or small, young or old.

2  Thank David W
"eureka"
"techniques"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We did the 2 hour Pan and Sluice and had the best time. Dustin is a great young man who helped a lot and shared his knowledge in an age appropriate way for our kids. I can only recommend . And yes, we left we a little bit of gold and 3 VERY happy boys!

1  Thank leluxo
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Let me tell you a little story how this little stream and the people who run it changed my life! About 7 years ago, my wife and I were looking for a fun activity we could do with our two pre-teen daughters. I found Gold Prospecting Adventures on the web and thought we would try it. It was only about 2.5 hours from the bay area so we hopped in the car and headed to Jamestown. We arrived at a pretty little creek at their claim and after some brief instruction from Dustin, one of their expert staff, we were knee deep in the stream bed going for it. It wasn’t long until I saw my first “color” in my pan, but the look on my daughters’ faces was what really lit up the day. They were ecstatic!

Since that time, we have been back over 10 times. Our family has found something that we all love to do together. The kids look for good spots and pan, my wife sits with her feet in the cool river and feeds the sluice. I dig like a madman. When the family gets tired, they mess around in the stream looking for fish or go pick blackberries or my wife takes them a couple blocks to Jamestown to do some window shopping or get a good old fashioned ice cream.

Prospecting has brought us closer together as a family and I have become an advocate for prospecting. I Joined the Silicon Valley Gold Prospectors Association where we travel to schools and fairs together teaching kids to look up from their iPods and Xbox's to find true life adventure in Gods wonderful creation.

Thanks Brent, Dustin and the entire staff at Gold Prospecting Adventures for passing on something much more valuable than Gold!

One final note. Make sure you call before going!

6  Thank Larry530
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We had a great afternoon with Brent learning how to pan and sluice. We enjoyed hearing about the history of gold prospecting in the area and Brent is a very patient teacher. There is some manual labour involved and the possibility of getting wet (we didn't), however we did find gold which was very satisfying!

1  Thank David D