“My Husband Loved it and we both had a great time”

California Gold Panning
Ranked #3 of 13 things to do in Jamestown
More attraction details
Owner description: Come have fun learning to pan & sluice on our claim on the historic Woods Creek. Keep all of the gold that you find! Our private claim has not been mined by the public in many years. We are only a 5 mile detour on your way to or from Yosemite! This is a must on your Bucket List!
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Minor John was very helpful and funny. He helped and showed us exactly what we were to do to find some gold. We went 2 times cause my husband always had this on his bucket list to do and he loves the old movie" Treasure of the Sierra Madras". John helped my husband with some of the digging on day 2 because I decided once was enough for me. We found John very pleasant knowledgeable about all aspects of gold mining. I would recommend to anyone that wants to learn and have fun gold mining.

4  Thank loulou215
in 9 reviews
in 9 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I called Miner John on a Friday and asked about coming out on Sunday. He said that would be fine and he would meet me there at 9am. I show up Sunday a few minutes early and John was waiting on me. We went down to the creek where he had a place picked out for me to run a highbanker. He set everything up for me, so all I had to do was start digging. I've done quite a bit of prospecting in the past, but I had forgotten how much work it was. He came back about an hour later and helped me do a clean-up to see how it was looking. Found several nice flakes in the first pan. I ran for about another two hours when he came back down to check on me, and I told him I had all I could handle for the day so we did our last clean-up. The second pan yielded some more nice flakes with a nice picker, and one smaller picker. He called it a nugglet. :)
I was a little rusty (Slow) on my panning so John gave me a refresher on panning and was very knowledgeable. John's a super nice guy and I won't hesitate to go back if I'm in the area again.
Thanks, John. I had a great time.

4  Thank Tom G
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband and I and our three kids (ages 9, 8 and 4) had an incredible time at Jamestown Gold Panning. In just two hours, we learned so much - John and his team showed us where and how to dig the dirt (harder work than we expected but wonderful that we got to do it ourselves and lots of fun), fill the sluice, empty it, and pan for gold (we needed some help with this last step!). The kids were thrilled to walk away with real gold - as well as with great memories and a much greater understanding of the gold mining process and gold rush history.

2  Thank Johanna2014
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Unpleasant and unprofessional. Miner John spent minimal time with us and spent a fair amount of that little time belittling his girlfriend. This left little left over the information for the information about prospecting for which we had driven a long distance and paid good money. Miner John was impatient and distracted as he delivered a few curt instructions and that was it. When I asked him to go over some basics again (it would only have taken a few minutes) he looked at me as though I was a complete idiot and asked with undisguised annoyance what part of it I had not understood. We may try again one day somewhere else, but it will NOT be with Miner John.

10  Thank TLSLTraveler
John G, Manager at California Gold Panning, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

I explained to you that the person with me had lost her wallet and why I was not there every second of the trip. I did explain to you a few times why and how and stopped you when you were doing the panning incorrectly. There is a reason why I ask what part you dont understand and if you just tell me "everything" then I can not focus on the part you do not understand and yes I did become impatient because I asked you to walk me thru what I had tried to teach you and you just kept telling me to start all over again. Some people do not understand the mechanics of panning and that is just how it is. Maybe next time you can ask specific questions of what you do not understand and then your guide can concentrate on your weak spots. You can only show someone how to do things so many times, if they dont ask questions then nothing gets accomplished. I am a gold miner and teach people how to mine, I do not hang over you the whole trip becuase people dont typically like to have someone watching over them every second of their trip. This is how mining is done, hard work and practical application. If you need someone to hold your hand every second of the trip then you might want to go to a theme park. Hope your Yoga business does well and hope you never have a customer who will not explain what part of the instruction they do not get because you may just get a bad review from someone.