“Wonderful Italian family dining, worth the trek!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Teresa's Place

Teresa's Place
Ranked #6 of 56 Restaurants in Jackson
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Santa Rosa, California
“Wonderful Italian family dining, worth the trek!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've been going to Theresa's for over 30 years. It's always consistent and such a cozy place to dine. Nothing fancy, just good solid Italian food served by the family of Theresa, who started this as a boarding house early in the 20th century.

Visited December 2011

Jackson, California
“Sadly, just a cutesy, tourist rip off”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Went to Teresa's Friday night, 10/26/2012. I've lived in Jackson for 12 years and have been to this place 3 times. Disappointed me each time. The place was packed and I have no idea why... in my mind it totally defies justification. I was there as part of a birthday party arranged by someone else, wasn't my idea, had to go along with the rest of our crowd.

Four words... Mediocre food, shoddy service. It was as true 10 years ago as it is now. I have no idea how these people have survived all this time. Maybe Amador diners in general don't know any better. Look through the reviews on Yelp, most of the one-star reviews are from locals... so maybe Teresa's is just a tourist rip off. There aren't many non-chain restaurants around here, so we need Teresa's to be good and sadly, its not.

Marinara sauce is easily bested by a jar of Prego or Ragu. Its almost as if the chef wasn't italian (What ARE the odds?). Seriously, anyone with a brain and a timer can cook pasta better than these guys, it was way overcooked. I had the veal picatta and the meat totaled maybe 3 ounces tops... I was embarrassed to have this plate in front of me. I'm thinking "What an idiot, I let myself get screwed in here again!" Way, way overpriced for what I got! The others at the table all remarked about it being so skimpy.

Lets talk service... (every time, not just tonight)
1. The manager/hostess is busy waiting on tables NOT managing the restaurant, this is ALWAYS a red flag, even in a family run restaurant.
2. The waitress takes your order and then when she brings the food she has no idea who gets what. Seriously, Denny's waitresses are more skilled than this.
3. Waitress plunks down a stack of menus on our table for us to distribute amongst ourselves.
4. Everyone at our table was complaining about how long it took to get our entrees. Yeah, quality food takes time to prepare but this food wasn't quality food.

My check for 2 people included a 20% tip, for service(from the manager/hostess) that I was already unhappy with. I wanted to make an issue of it but my wife begged me not to make a scene. So I didn't and I'm still steamed. I told the bartender (who screwed up and asked me if I enjoyed my meal) about my problems with the place and she just grinned at me.

To be fair, the place does have a lot of charm and ambiance. But great food? No. A reasonable value? No. Friendly, professional service? No. People that really care about your satisfaction? Hell No.

You've gotta look beyond the cutesy decor when you review these restaurants.

ps. I'm betting that the majority of the 5-star reviews for Teresa's online are done by family members... don't know how else to explain it.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank fortyniner1340
“My favourite place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I love this place. I go there every time I'm in the area, which is every couple of months. The food is wonderful and the service is alway great. Leo is a lot of fun and Teresa is always warm, friendly, and has time to visit. It's a fun, funky place with wonderful atmosphere and tons of history. I've been there 7 or 8 times in the last year and it's always as good as I expect it to be. Go hungry - there's always a lot of food. I have never had room for desserts, but I hear they are also delicious.

• Visited September 2012
Novato
“Somewhat dissapointed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I ate there a year ago with friends and we all had wonderful meals, so were looking forward to a great dinner, after a long day on our motorcycles. My husband was happy with his linguini with clams, but my chicken Marsala was a problem. The chicken had burnt on the grill, on the side that was turned to the plate, so I didn't notice until I took my first bite. Not good. I ate a bit of it , but it was also tough from being overcooked. The Marsala and mushrooms tasted good, but was not a full meal. When our server, Leo, asked about the meal I told him about the problem and he immediately called the owner/manager to our table and she saw the problem right away and did not charge us for the entree, just for soup and salad, which was greatly appreciated. I filled up on the good bread and butter! The house Chianti was good. My problem with so many restaurants is that they serve far too much food, and this one was no exception. When we travel there is no option for a container to take home, so I guess a lot of soup and salad went to waste.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Judy B
Reno
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always great Basque food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Lovely spot; I've been going there for 20+ years, and now they have a patio! Skip lunch that day; it's a lot of food!

Visited August 2012