“Historical masterpiece”
Review of The National Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jackson
The National Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Jackson
Roseville, California
“Historical masterpiece”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

My wife and i stayed here one night on April 8. We had gotten a dealsaver coupon for 50% off, so thought we would take advantage of that for a weekday getaway. This place is terrific! The hotel itself is steeped in history and the massive remodeling and updating it went through a few years ago kept that history alive. There are antiques and old period paintings, pictures, and prints in the rooms and all througout the hotel. One can only imagine what it would have been like to stay there "in the day". We had a queen suite complete with a jacuzzi tub and separate walk-in shower. Like others have mentioned, water pressure is NO problem at this hotel. The bed area of the room was a tad small, as to be expected, but quite adequate, and the bath/shower area was huge. The two plush robes hanging up in the bath area were a nice unexpected touch and there was also a good supply of extra towels. The room was very clean and well kept, had a very comfortable bed, and LOTS of pillows. Check-in was a breeze, and ALL of the staff we had contact with were wonderful and very welcoming. Had a great chat with one of them on the elevator who was in period dress which was a nice historical touch. Since we were there on a Tuesday, the steakhouse restaurant was not open, but we were able to take advantage of the buffet breakfast on Wednesday morning before check-out. Nice little self serve all you can eat buffet with scrambled eggs, sausages that were absolutely delicious, home made granola, milk, water, OJ, coffee, toast, and home made pastries. Not a big breakfast fan here, but it was really good! Free parking is included in a covered structure behind the hotel and numerous shops and places to eat are within walking distance on main street directly out the front door of the hotel. (for a great polish dog, give fat freddy's a try!) Again, this hotel is a great place and we would definitely stay there again, coupon or no coupon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank casperntn1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My Husband and I took a quick weekend getaway from Reno to the Amador wine country and stayed at The National Hotel. It was slightly higher priced than other options in the area, but based on photos and reviews we decided that it would be worth it. We were right! Although it is a 1850's building, the renovation is beautiful. The bed and linens were luxurious and the shower was amazing. Our standard King room wasn't huge so I would opt for a Deluxe King room next time. We had dinner reservations at the Stanley's steakhouse downstairs and were very impressed with the food and service. I don't usually order chicken at a steakhouse but based on recommendations I stepped outside the box and tried it. I'm so glad I did because it was incredible. My husband has the Rib Eye with Bourdelaise, also wonderful. Our server was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and very attentive. The only thing that I would change might be more private booths. Maybe a little higher backs so that you are not looking directly at the table next to you. Since we were hotel guests, a continental breakfast was offered until 10am. We went down at about 9:30 and there was nothing left :( Fortunately, brunch was going to be served at Stanley's at 10 so we just waited and paid for brunch. It was a beautiful day so we sat outside and the food was great. All in all, I would highly recommend The National Hotel and look forward to a future getaway :) P.S. I was a little freaked out about the "ghost thing" but as soon as I walked in I could tell that the hotel had a happy energy and from then on I wasn't afraid at all...OK maybe just a little!

Room Tip: I would opt for the larger King.
3 Thank Kim M
Oakland, California
Reviewed March 10, 2014

For the past eleven years, our company has taken all of our employees on a business outing. I have coordinated ten of them. This year we had 17 rooms and 32 people attend. Without a doubt this was the easiest experience to manage (we have even stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay). The hotel is lovely, and the staff is superior. Every single person at the hotel was totally customer services oriented. The response from our employees was absolutely positive.

We had our Friday Night company dinner at Stanley's Steakhouse (their restaurant) and it couldn't have been more perfect. The food was very good and the wait staff went above and beyond.

I cannot say enough good things about every member of the staff.

Thanks to all at the National for making this such a memorable experience!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Dianne N
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I just spent one night at the National Hotel in Downtown Jackson. It's like stepping back in time. The hotel has been beautifully renovated, but there were just a few downfalls. The rooms are quite small, the mattress was very firm (my husband complained of a backache the next morning) and folklore says the hotel is haunted. I'm not superstitious, so that haunting part didn't bother me, but it did freak my husband out a little bit.
The upside... the bathroom was beautiful, we had a jetted bathtub and a separate shower. The continental breakfast was nice.
Full price? Probably not, but we got a half price deal so it was worth every penny of that.

Room Tip: Great wine tasting just about 20 minutes away in Plymouth, Ca. About 39 wineries and all very close...
2 Thank colleen l
San Jose, CA
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I often stay in Jackson at chain motels on our way to skiing at Kirkwood. This weekend we wanted something different and found the National Hotel. What a treat! The staff was super friendly and helpful, the room sparkling clean, and the bed very comfortable. The restoration was done really well: an old-time feel with modern conveniences. We enjoyed the balcony overlooking Main Street. The hotel is a great asset to historic Jackson.

2 Thank onthego_sj
California
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed last night at the National Hotel in Jackson, Ca. This hotel deserves a 5 star rating. From the moment we checked in until the time we checked out we were treated like we were at the Ritz. Rebecca who checked us in and showed us to our room gave us a history lesson on the hotel and explained the refurbishment done by the present owner. A renovation of 4.5 Million and you can see it everywhere. I was also impressed with the knowledge about the hotel by every employee we spoke with. They must have a great training program. The floors in the bathrooms are Marble, the bedding must be 2500 count with down. The beds were the most comfortable we have ever slept in. The toiletries were Gilchrest and Soames. The bath towels were the size of beach towels, plush and white as were the individual robes. They have used soothing earthtones so it is very peaceful feeling. The continental breakfast was as expected with the addition of an attendant who made a great latte on request. They have a really good Steak House downstairs which is full of nostalgia. When you stay, be sure to take a few minutes and walk around this historic hotel....and yes, you may see or hear some "un-paying guests". Here's a hint password for free internet is "ghost". Oh well I found them friendly and not too disruptive (maybe they were tired after the New Years weekend!) The hotel is located right at the end of the Main Street of Jackson so you can walk everywhere and see all the cute shops in Jackson. I really can't say enough except make it a stop whenever cruising Hwy 49 in the California Gold Country. We had room 218 which was a King with a small wall fireplace, very spacious yet cozy.

Room Tip: We looked at several rooms and loved the feeling of 218, however there are suites on the frontside o...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Doliver
Alameda, CA
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We just stayed at the National Hotel on Christmas Eve and had a great time. It's a very well renovated historic hotel dating from the Gold Rush. As soon as you walk in the front door, you can feel the history. All of the staff at the National are very welcoming, helpful and professional. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, and the whole hotel has a lot of character.

We had the John Wayne room on the 2nd floor facing Main street, so we had use of the awesome front balcony, which is a great place to drink a glass of wine while wearing the big, warm bathrobe hanging int he room. Once the wine was gone and it started to get a little chilly outside, we moved back inside and turned on the faux fireplace for some warmth and lounged on the perfectly comfortable bed. The bathroom didn't have a full bath, but the awesome water pressure of the shower made up for that.

The included breakfast was pretty good; sausages, eggs, fruit, granola, pastries and the usual selection of beverages. I walked into the deli cafe pretty late, right before they were closing up for breakfast at 10am, and there wasn't much left at the buffet so the server offered to put in an order for a couple of fried eggs with the restaurant for me :)

We didn't get a chance to check out the restaurant for dinner, but we did have a couple of cocktails at The Main Event, the bar down the street and had fun there.

Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street so that get access to the front balcony.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank whatwouldjessedo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Best Western Amador Inn
The Historic Hotel Leger
The Historic Hotel Leger
#1 of 1 in Mokelumne Hill
Jackson Rancheria Casino Resort

Been to The National Hotel? Share your experiences!