“So sad...closed for the season”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Daffodil Hill

Daffodil Hill
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Jackson
San Francisco, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“So sad...closed for the season”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hard to rate as it was closed for the season the day (April 5, 2013) we drove up. We could see some of blooming flowers and wished we could see more. Appeared to be lots of daffodils and multiple colors of tulips.There is a telephone number that supposedly has recorded information regarding hours and dates the site is open, but I tried to call several times before our visit and phone was not answered. I believe telephone number is operated by toursit info or chamber of commerce. Based on what we could see I would rate it a 5 for the experience that might have been. But since it was closed I will downgrade to a 3.5. The trip was not a total waste as we got up off the couch, enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine and pleasant drive through the foothills. Also stopped and Grinding Rock State Park which is nearby and well worth the stop.

Visited April 2013
7 Thank farleysmom

South San Francisco, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“All Closed Up!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Sadly the beautiful Daffodil Hill is closed. A small sign on the gates says that they are now closed and have reverted the property to being their home. After a long drive we were very sad to learn this. Nothing on the internet said this was the case. Very disappointing. :(

Visited April 2013
4 Thank Jackie B
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

the daffodils were in bloom and quite nice, I enjoyed it quite a lot. Might be difficult for anyone with a mobility problem. Nice grounds and friendly folks.

2 Thank Chellyj
California
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“Beautifully done”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We just returned from seeing the rows of daffodils planted on "the hill" outside the small town of Volcano, Ca. We went from Sacramento and Highway 16 moved fairly quickly. Though we were there on a Monday afternoon, there were probably 150 people. Parking, which was free, was across the street from the entrance in a dusty hillside. There is no charge to enter though donations are accepted. The flowers are mostly yellow or white, though we saw one peach colored group. They do have some food for sale, such as hot dogs and sodas, at the entrance. There are picnic tables in that same general area. The paths that are available on the hill are for the most part smooth dirt, but in some places there were rocks. We saw one gentleman who had fallen and reportedly broken his ankle. An EMT arrived to help him out. Others who had walkers were struggling somewhat. I saw several people dressed up in period costumes. They said they were dressed to take pictures of themselves with the daffodils as backdrops. There was a horse and two small donkeys in a fenced area behind the entrance area. We spent about an hour walking about, resting on some of the many benches, and just enjoying the beauty of the flowers. We ate lunch earlier in Sutter Creek at Thomi's restaurant, which provided tasty food.

10 Thank WStaso
Santa Barbara, California
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Uhhhh...what is all the hubbub about???”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Okay, so we're staying in Ione...have been to some of the local gold country towns...went to the Black Chasm and then saw a sign for Daffodil Hill after a stop for lunch in Volcano. Figured 3 miles wasn't far to go since Daffodils are in season (and all OVER the place). We come upon a CA Highway Patrolman directing traffic and a sea of cars in a parking lot...we cross the street to the gardens and...I'm sorry to say...we were completely baffled. What the heck?? There are about 100 cars here...more than anywhere else we have been on the whole trip...and for what? I've seen more daffodils at Trader Joes! Maybe I'm jaded...on the drive to NorCal from SoCal we saw seas of mustard...lupine...etc. The gardens are "cute" but nothing spectacular by any means. Actually, I didn't "get it" at all. At least it's free!! I wouldn't bother at all unless you want to stage a photo for Easter or something. I don't want to be mean, but it reminded me of a pumpkin patch in October! "Big Deal!"

4 Thank ClawMarks