“Great lunch in Jackson, California”

Highway House Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #5 of 58 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: American Food with a Full Bar
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We recently had lunch at Thomi's with a bunch of friends en route to Columbia State Park. Service could not have been better and the food was very good and plentiful with more choices than you could select in a week. Our group of eight had everything from Cobb Salad to Quiche Lorraine to good old fashioned giant hamburger to omelettes and it was all very good both as to quality and quantity. Plus it was COOL inside (108F outside). Kind of hard to fathom the negative reviews...all eight of us thought it was great and very reasonably priced.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I'm not sure if they are even open anymore. Guess they couldn't make a go of it in such a small community. The one in Jackson is open and has good food.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have been here a couple of times--twice with a book group of about 6-7 people. The service was just OK, even though there were few other customers. I like the quiche, which is served with salad and fruit. The last time I was there last month, I found the quiche to be very good, while the salad was not as good---more iceberg lettuce and less romaine/darker greens. I will be back and will try something different next time.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We had eaten at Thomi's in Sutter Creek and loved it. This place is larger and the decor is charming, but the food was very disappointing. We love Thomi and think that she is a great hostess. But the food here is not like we had at the original place in Sutter Creek. It all tasted like it came from cans, (soup, etc.) and the coleslaw was pretty weak. We really wanted to like it!!

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Thomi's was once a good place to have lunch. Although I didn't really like the "order at the counter, then good luck on finding a place to sit" culture they had, the food made it worth it.

Recently, my husband and I decided to have lunch at Thomi's, after a bit of a hiatus. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was no longer survival of the fittest in getting seated. They now have menus and a server seats the customers. That was, however, where my delight ended.

After ordering, our meals were brought within a reasonable time frame, but we almost wished they'd stayed in the kitchen. I had a meatloaf sandwich. The meat had an off taste. My husband had a Rueben. When we left, he told me his meat didn't taste right. We were both actually worried that we were going to be ill that night.

Fortunately, neither of us was sick - so the food must have been O.K. It just wasn't good.

All-in-all: O.K. service and bad food. Whatever happened to the good food that Thomi's once had?

1  Thank NevermindCA