“Convenient and spacious, lots of flaws but some very good points, too.”
Review of The Jackson Lodge

The Jackson Lodge
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Jackson
Cottage Grove, Oregon
“Convenient and spacious, lots of flaws but some very good points, too.”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

If there had been a rating for "Better than Average" I would have used that. I stayed at the Jackson Lodge for 4 - two night stays this June and early July. Always in the "Deluxe" Cabin #122. The first two times my husband was with me (I book-ended a trip to LA with two business trips to the area.) This place is nothing special to look at on the outside - I selected it because of Trip Advisor input from others, and because I just didn't want to stay at a chain hotel. Cabin 122 is one of several duplex cabins (sharing a long wall.) Every time, there were guests next to us, but the rooms were still very quiet. You have a small front porch with two plastic chairs and a side table. Inside, a one bedroom apartment, really, with a full (but dated) kitchen, a dining area with a table and four chairs, a huge bedroom with King Sized bed and large closet, a living room with a TV and a gas fireplace, and a smallish, dated bathroom with one of the lowest shower heads (he is 6'-2") we have ever encountered. Off the dining area was a small concrete patio with more plastic chairs. The internet was fast and free, and there were sufficient wall plugs.

The (somewhat noisy) air conditioner in the front room worked very well (it was over 100 degrees). In the bedroom, there is a ceiling fan. We left the air on, ran the fan and were comfortable. The "breakfast" was minimal, and pedestrian. Bagels and pastries from the local grocery store - "served" in their plastic bags; a bowl of apples and bananas; coffee and cocoa. There may have been some dry cereal, I don't recall.

What I loved about this place is that it is Roomy, and has many of the comforts of home. I travel a lot and appreciate being able to cook for myself, or have stuff in a fridge that I don't have to kneel in front of to get into. It felt like coming home (because I wasn't walking into the bed room!)

The first time we visited, we had dinner out, but brought a nice bottle of Amador County Zinfandel (try the Folie a Deux Zin. It's made in Napa from old vine grapes grown in Amador County.) back to our "room" and sat out on the side patio under the dark night sky. Lovely.

I have to go back to the are in August for a total of three nights, and I will stay here again, in 122, if it's available.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank AmeliaAnne1024

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed July 1, 2011

This was a good place to stay. We had a standard room, but there were some cabins that from the outside looked adorable. The rooms were a little dated, but were also much more spacious than typical rooms are built these days. There were chairs on the balcony just outside the door to the room, making it possible to sit outside and relax in the evening. The laundry facilities were convenient and reasonably priced. The pool was recently remodeled and looked very nice, although I didn't use it. The wireless Internet worked great. The cable TV provider offered several channels not frequently found in a motel setting, such as Food Network. Breakfast was quite basic, which was okay because I had read other reviews and was prepared. I thought that 7:30 AM was unusually late to open the breakfast area.

A few things to be aware of about the area. First, The Jackson Lodge is located on a wicked hill -- don't try to whip off the highway into the parking lot because you go straight uphill, then as soon as you reach the motel office the property starts to slant downhill towards the motel rooms. This makes parking in front of the room sort of difficult. We ended up parking off to the side of the building where things were a bit flatter.

Next, downtown Jackson is not within walking distance of The Jackson Lodge, no matter what you read. If you try it, it will be a long uphill walk to return...and you will be severely disappointed that you spent the effort walking to downtown Jackson in the first place. We drove through downtown, and didn't see anything worthy of even a slowdown in the car!

Finally, it might be a challenge to find a place to eat dinner in the area. There is fast food and there is expensive fare, but not much in between. We found one of the seemingly few in-between places, a restaurant called Thomi's, and had an enjoyable experience, but we took a long time poking around on the Internet and in the car before we settled on it.

All in all, this was a good place to spend a night.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SummerDriver
Dresher
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We had a great stay at the Jackson Lodge. We came to visit family in the area. The Jackson Lodge was clean, comfortable and convenient. I would definitely recommend them.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LRoth4
Pembroke
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Very comfortable, clean, roomy accommodations. Good customer service from prior to visit to follow up after the visit.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank travelnana63
Northern California
Reviewed May 29, 2011

This place was pretty sketchy... My generous 3 rankings are only because of the price point at around 90 per night. I cannot understand all the rave reviews, unless they are bogus? Our checkin and checkout were easy enough, only a couple of words were exchanged. I guess we did not get the friendliest, awesomest proprietor that everyone else had.

The room was pretty shabby. The decor was 70s all the way. Not in a cool way, but in a Dang, that comforter has had 30 years of guest usage.

My wife was scared to sleep on the bed. I checked it for bugs and to my amazement it was clean. Unfortunately her fears were realized when we discovered it was the worst mattress imaginable. Advil for breakfast!

Speaking of breakfast, they did offer a free one, but we did not go. If this is #1 in Jackson, I'd recommend you stay in Sutter Creek. Sorry...

• Stayed May 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Passing through Jackson for 1 night. The room was clean and plenty of space. The staff friendly and accommodating. No traffic sound at night. Breakfast cereal and danish.
Would have no problem staying there again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angelchris65
Occidental, California
Reviewed May 18, 2011

This is a pleasant and comfy motel with a large, pretty, resort-worthy pool surrounded by grass and plantings (unlike other local motels where the pool tends to be in the parking lot). Rooms are generous and quiet as all face away from the road, some looking out on refreshing greenery, beds are comfy, WiFi is fine. TV was old but OK. Only problem was moldy shower -- speak to the desk about this and ask for a room with their best shower as all of them can't be as bad as the one we landed in.

Room Tip: Check shower is mold-free before checking in.