“People Need Higher Standards”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Irvine
Reviewed October 24, 2009

I realize I was only spending 53 dollars to stay here, but this hotel was just stinky. The carpets were filthy, the paint needs to be refreshed, and the room & bedding all smelled like smoke-trying-desperately-to-be-disguised-by-some-nauseating air freshener. Just smelly. I think I breathed through my mouth the entire night, trying to avoid smelling anything. Just to give you an idea, I showered with my flip flops on. As for the bedding? It was beyond pathetic, Thee thinnest blanket known to man, with a shiny, 70s quilt as back-up (which I didn't use because I couldn't get Matt Lauer's black-light expose from Dateline out of my head). My room was in the front of the property, so I got to listen to I-5 all night (I pretended like it was the ocean, didn't work) and also the bump-bump-bumping of radios coming from the parking lot. You could be in the back of the hotel, but you will be sleeping on the train track. The good news? You can go to Denny's for a short stack (I didn't, but it's in the same parking lot) or you can hit Jack-in-the-box right across the street. I will say, the girls at the front desk were really nice. So nice I almost feel bad writing this review. The key word there is "almost."

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed July 18, 2009

Drove in Horrible traffic for 5.5 hours to arrive at the Irvine La Quinta, and was pleasantly suprised!
Nice little updated rooms. VERY comfy beds (sweet matress I wanted to take home!) and a nice clean shower. There was also a little fridge and microwave.

Parking was a problem at night because of the bar/club. Just us girls went on this trip and while we were walking the (long) distance to our room from the parking lot, a weird guy went running through the parking lot growling and ripping his tank top to shreds.. haha!
Entertainment included!

Check in was easy (not super friendly) and because we were la quinta club members, we were able to check out at 12 (like the old days!).
We stayed in the main building (not the silo) so we didnt hear a peep out of trains.. Loved that Denny's was so close!

Overall good experience!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2009

For a hotel of this price level, I was very pleasantly surprised. They charged us $89 for a room for 2 adults & one canine with no pet deposit. The room, while moderately sized was well appointed with plenty of towels, good linens & nice pillows. It ain't the Four Seasons, but it was well beyond $89 in value.

What's really unique & fun about this La Quinta us that it's built in a historic grain & bean warehouse/silo.  They put us up in one of the warehouse rooms, and the walls were finished in raw concrete and metal.  A lot of the original structures are still intact in the common areas, including a grain elevator and lots of industrial pipping and whatnot.

La Quinta is located about 5 minutes from the Irvine Spectrum, so there is lots to do & see in the neighborhood. There's a Denny's in the parking lot and a Jack in the Crack across the street for easy access low brow dining. In the morning, free continental b'fazt.

In Irvine, do yourself a favor and stay here.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2009

This hotel was better than I expected. Part of the rooms are in an old Lima bean warehouse...I'm not kidding.

Its location is not fantastic. It is a reasonable drive to shopping. Really not bad for an overnight stay.

A Denny's and Jack in the Box are adjacent. The breakfast was adequate and well attended.

The staff was very professional and friendly.

My only complaint would be not being able to open my window (on the top floor of the lima bean mill) And the air freshener was way too strong!!

Trains do go by the property but did not disturb me. If you are a light sleeper it could be a problem.

Don't expect a upscale hotel. Just a clean place to sleep and a decent value.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 8, 2009

I read all the reviews and almost passed on this, but the location, price and availablility won over. I made sure, based on what I read, to ask for a room on the side away from the train tracks.

The staff was fine, the round room, with the bare concrete walls was different, but not bad at all. I liked the bathroom, the tiled tub was a nice feature. The window faced east and the morning sun lit the room up pleasantly. The frequent trains made the room vibrate slightly, and the sound of the horns sounded distant and did not bother me at all.

The best thing about the free breakfast was the waffle iron, if you are into that. Otherwise the pickings were kinda slim. There is a GREAT restaurant next door, Knowlwood. Thier fish tacos were amazing and inexpensive!

For somebody that travels alot on business, this hotel was a welcome difference.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2008

Our clients stayed here for 2 nights and all the feedback was good. It is only 5 minutes from the Sears Corp plaza and our staff can pick up the guests. It was easy check in and the reception was friendly. Our managers Mike and Steven Sears pay for the stay close by Irvine.

Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 22, 2008

First of all, let me say that my expectations aren't really that high. Especially within the price range of La Quinta. I know that they're clean and generally accommodating and that's why I chose this one. Convenient location and clean and within a decent price range for the area.
Boy, was I wrong.
Was I ever.
If you don't believe me, drive around the property a few times before going into the office. A train runs RIGHT BEHIND IT *(I'm talking like 10 feet behind the entire building) and THAT'S where you'll be staying. Close enough that you could reach out and touch it from your window practically.
If it's not enough that you have to listen to it rattle by on a regular schedule through the night and early in the morning, IT RATTLES YOUR ROOM...the whole building rattles when the cargo trains go by. And they go by ALL. THE. TIME.
So if it's sleep you want, STEER CLEAR. What good is a nice price on a hotel room if you can't get a good night's sleep?
It's no bargain, let me tell you that.
If you can afford to skip sleep, have at it. My theory is that NOBODY would ever stay at this place for a second time. I most definitely won't. I'd rather pay an extra hundred dollars and get a room that I can actually SLEEP in...that's the idea.
When I pointed it out to the help, the guy behind the counter acted as if he didn't know the train was out there! Or that it blows a whistle continually through the night and rattles the room!
He really did?
"Oh, really? The train was loud? That's a shame."
Stay away from the train depot...if you're looking for ANY rest or relaxation, you'll thank me for it. Otherwise, have fun jumping out of your skin every 20 minutes when your room starts to rattle and it sounds like someone blowing a whistle in your ear as you try to sleep.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dhp44