“From Great to Mundane... through the years”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
Reviewed December 26, 2007

We began staying here five to six years ago and were members of the "club." Always stayed in the "silo" and knew to ask for "king, non-smoking, parking lot side, second or third floor." Even had room numbers memorized. Remodeled in last few years, better beds, nicer amenities. Very large rooms in silo if you get the KING size bed. Only a single window, stuffy at night as noise prevents leaving the window open and no "cross breeze" anyway. Concrete, unpainted walls which might turn some people off. Easy to hear footsteps upstairs. Drainage of tub/shower molasses slow on third floor or higher - avoid. Used to be easily able to redeem our "frequent flyer" nights. Now almost impossible or later told that additional charge for silo, though that is where we always stayed. Prices continue to rise - don't fall for the quoted price as that pertains to the standard building... I think... certainly not the silo room we always used. Breakfast in the past was loud and crowded but fun as they had waffle irons, PROTEIN (hard boiled eggs), greater variety of fresh fruit. That is gone. Packaged sweet rolls and yogurt are the fare of the day. Skip it and eat next door.

Lots of LOUD noise from the bar/restaurant next door and parking on that side is almost impossible. Would assume it is the bar patrons that run through the building (one night we stood outside for an hour - apparently one "patron" pulled the fire alarm.

Basically we are done with LaQuinta Irvine - which is too bad as there are not many places to stay other than near the airport. Just don't like feeling we are being gouged - especially when we have spent better than 60 nights there. Are headed down again this week to see family, but LaQuinta has lost us for good.

Breakfast WAS a treat in the past, now just ordinary, but NOT a reason to avoid this hotel.

Have not experienced anything but courtesy from any employee over the years, so a former reviewer had what I think was an isolated incident.

Stayed: February 2007

Reviewed July 31, 2007

We started staying at the Laquinta in Irvine at the Spectrum on July 10th and stayed for 14 nights. This stay was secured by CC from my assistant, after we paid cash for the first night. Upon preperation for our departure we were met with extreme resistance from the hotel manager, Gabriel CaBianca. We were accused of credit card fraud in a lobby full of other guests. The hotel manager insisted on receiving cash for our stay. We finally settled that dispute, or so we thought...

We had an occassion to come back to Irvine and since the kids loved the pool area, we decided, reluctantly, to stay there again. When we called to make our reservation, we were told by Jose that if we booked online, we would get the Weekend Impulse rate of $59 per night. However, the hotel we were trying to stay at was not listed in the WI rate sheet. So we arrived at the hotel and asked for that rate, as that is what we were quoted. However, we were now told by Gabriel that we didn't qualify for that rate and we were required to pay $107 per night. We again paid cash for two nights ($235). This would have been for Friday and Saturday night (7/27 & &/28) On Saturday afternoon we hung out at the pool and upon return to our room we found the door had been re-keyed. We went to the front desk to ask at to why and Chris informed us that they had no method of payment for the night. Which they did. He realized the error and made a very half-hearted attempt at correcting it. This was again done in a lobby with guests. The humiliation continues.

On Sunday morning we found out that our business was going to continue into the week. I called the front desk immediately to inform them and ask if we could extend two more nights. We were told yes, but that we needed to pay. I told them I was in LA and I would be in to pay as soon as I returned and even spoke to Chris and told him that it might be later in the day. He said that was fine. I called repeatedly throughout the day to let them know our status and approximate times of arrival. Everytime throughout the day, I was told that it was fine.

Finally about 5:00PM my son called to inform me that the door had been re-keyed yet again. Luckily he was able to get ahold of his grandmother and she could come get him. So now we are still in LA, having called repeatedly to make them aware of our status, and our family was locked out of the room. What makes this worse, is that everytime I spoke to Chris I told him that the family was there and I would be in to pay and I didn't want them locked out. He said that was fine. However, now Esmerelda was at the front desk. She informed me on one of my calls that she had the room re-keyed and needed payment ASAP. I explained again, that I was in LA and would be there as soon as I could. She also told me that Gabriel wanted to call the police and have us removed from the property. So after repeated phone
calls and repeated conversations, we were still being treated like criminals. When we attempted to extend, we were told we had to pay a balance of over $1,000. For a two night stay????? We made it back to the hotel around 10:00PM and somehow were able to get the things from
our room and we left.

The saga continues....it was about this time on Sunday that the credit card used to secure our room on our previous stay was now charged, yet again. My assistant called up and asked them to not charge her card as we were paying cash. She was told by Esmerelda that she just had to charge something as it was her duty. There was no excuse for charging her card or any card for that matter, as we were paying cash. The charges and credits continued throughout the day. They were charging her card and taking our payment of cash and very belligerent about crediting back charges that were made in error.

As a Rewards Returns Gold Member, I expected a little higher level of service and I certainly don't need to be treated like a criminal in the hotel lobby. Gabriel's accusations and unwillingness to accept
things as well as his poor attitude all contributed to this. He was rude, inconsiderate, and most of all, he was downright mean on several occasions. We had attempted to have several people call during the day to give a fax authorization for the stay as we were in
LA and whoever was there, refused to accept it.

I have called the Rewards Returns and LQ Customer Assitance Center and formally lodged a complaint and I was told that a Regional VP would contact me within 3 business days. Well, its been 3 days and not one phone call or email regarding this situation.

We stayed at the LaQuinta in Costa Mesa off the 405 the past two nights and let me tell you, the staff there was accomodating and cordial. They apologized profusely for Gabriel, which they didn't have to do. They were all top notch! Kudos to them.

I had hoped for some sort of resolution on this by today, but apparently LaQuinta is not interested in satisfying their customers. I am a Platinum HHonors Member, A Priority Rewards Gold Member as well and let me tell you, they are in a totally different class. I am
compeltely soured on LaQuinta for quite some time.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank PDGExec
Reviewed June 9, 2007

My daughter attends college at U.C. Irvine, so I've spent many nights in Orange County area hotel rooms. This time I looked for a moderately (rather than high-end, which are easy to find in "the O.C.") priced room. There's a reason this place is moderately priced! There is a little model train on the reception counter with a sign that says, "Ask us about the train." Some advice: ask! Or, better yet, if you're very sensitive to noise and vibration, choose another place to stay. This hotel is absolutely right on the railroad tracks. These tracks service Amtrack, the Metrolink (commuter trains), and a freight service. The trains go through all day & night. The building is a cool, old, remodeled granary, with rooms actually built into the old silos, but the rooms that are on the backside of the hotel are literally on the tracks. Believe it or not, our room had 4 layers of windows to open! After one unbearable night of absolutely no sleep, we asked to be moved to a more quiet location. We were prepared to check out and forfeit our second night's fee, but the employees were very accommodating and polite, and cheerfully moved us to a room on the front side. Amazingly, even though this room was just across the hall from the first, it was 80% more quiet. Beds & pillows are comfy. Some bathrooms are bigger than others. Water pressure for showers is good. Free continental breakfast & small pool. Except for the train issue, a nice, moderate type place to stay. And, the train is not so much of an issue if you're toward the front of the inn (where you only hear the freeway).

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Grace Carr L
Reviewed December 2, 2006

Some might enjoy the “charm” of this motel built within a converted lima bean silo, but I didn't.

When I made the reservation online I requested as quiet a room as possible. I already knew this motel was between the freeway and the train tracks so I wasn't expecting much, but the indifferent front desk clerk ended up putting me in a 1st floor room right on the train tracks. When I opened the curtains the tracks were not 10 feet from the window. Also, the area around the window was littered with broken screens, beer bottles, and cigarette packages.

The trains were very loud and shook the room. During peak hours they ran every 15 minutes. For the most part the trains stopped at 11 pm, although one came through at 3 am. They started back up at 6 am for another round of peak hour fun. Don't be fooled—you won't be relaxing here.

There were other rooms away from the train tracks, and some in an entirely different building. I was annoyed that the staff put me in what was probably the loudest room on the property even though I requested something more quiet. It seemed very unprofessional and made me realize that the staff did not have the guest's interests in mind.

Positives:

Freeway convenience
Several restaurants within walking distance
Clean rooms
Nice shower

Negatives:

Excessive train noise
Indifferent staff
Unkempt grounds

Would I return? nope

*tip: If you tire of the chintzy continental breakfast La Quinta offers, check out Knowlwood Restaurant right next door. The service and food are much better than the adjacent Denny's, plus you might save a few bucks.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank daninca
Reviewed September 27, 2006

STayed here two nights. Was clean and friendly. Pro's: Cheap for the OC, Clean, Friendly staff, good parking, Free WIFI.
Cons:Trains, and I mean within 20 feet.. startled the hell out of me but kind of funny, and they stop after 10ish, nothing close, you need to drive to everything and its about 1-2 miles.
Like I said its decent enough, nothing great but not bad. I would stay here again if I needed to.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank PHXTrainer
Reviewed May 22, 2006

Just returned from staying 4 nights. Although the trains are close (they make no mistake in telling you this) they are short trains and by the second night I never bothered with them. The room was spacious, clean, and staff were kind and courteous. We observed staff always busy with the care of the hotel and guests. Our hairdryer did not work the first morning and was replaced in 5minutes of our request. Would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank CFM41
Reviewed December 13, 2005

Freeway ramp 5 south & north at the corner. 15 minutes to Disney and way better in price. The square is called "Old Town" part of the hotel along with a unique restaurant and other neat business's are built in the Lima Bean & Grain Warehouse. It is cute! Fun for the family. A Denny's restaurant is also on property. I stayed in the regular part of the hotel. I wish I had a room in the warehouse it looks awesome. Yes there is a train that runs every so often, it is not a big deal. I have heard worse noise in downtown San Diego or L.A. with the traffic roaring all night long and sirens. It is clean, the bed is comfortable, not like some of those beds that feel like cardboard. The mattress being soft and comfortable and the room being clean meant more to me. Another nice thing is you have an elevator to get to second and third floors. I loved the hotel!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business