“Like LQ -- not sure I'll stay here again....”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Irvine
San Clemente, California
“Like LQ -- not sure I'll stay here again....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

There are 2 buildings. One is the ''old'' LQ and it looks like it from outside. Check in was great, front desk helpful, professional. Went to the old building first, by mistake, and a loud barking dog in the end room, top floor, and an ash tray sitting on the exterior room window left a bad impression. So, ''newer'' building is an old commercial bean warehouse that's been converted. My room, 340, faced the railroad tracks to the West. The train will be VERY disturbing to some guests. The train sounds it's horn as it's approaching and it's possible to spit out the window and hit the train. The train is LOUD, and passes A LOT! No matter what building you're in, you'll hear the train. The interior door handle of the room door punched a large hole in the wall the door opens into. There was drywall hanging on the wall and pieces on the floor. Wifi was down when I checked in then up -- kept kicking me off line. The desk swivel chair had very dirty fabric. Dirt pattern on the arm rest was disgusting. Still give everything else a high mark and no complaints otherwise. A Mexican restaurant, Tia Juana, was next door and seemed to be popular.

Room Tip: Try new building, parking lot side?
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank L.Talbot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Beavercreek, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

I visited a friend in Irvine and didn't want to pay a fortune; the price was better than most of the other motels in the area. The location was an easy access from I-5. Overall, it was a good experience. The staff was friendly & helpful with directions. The room was clean & spotless. The bed was comfy. Breakfast was "make your own" waffles, toast, yogurt, bagels, muffins, hard boiled eggs, cereal, juice, milk & coffee. They even had peanut butter for my toast! I would definitely stay here again and recommend it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

Checked into this hotel late and when I got out of the car I was amazed how loud and noisy the restaraunt/night club was next door. Undeterred and tired, I went to my room which was funky and neat as the hotel is made out of an old lima bean railside depot. I got settled, put my head on the pillow and then suddenly began to think based on the noise I was hearing that the end of the world was upon us and the world was blowing up. A horn so loud blew that had to have woken every person in the hotel and then a whoosh so loud and frightening went by the outside of my room that the door in my room rattled back and forth. I ran to the window to see a freight train running by the outside of my room a mere 5 feet from the wondow. The train itself had to have been 3/4's of a mile long and loud. I called the front desk to inquire as to how frequent a happening this would be and they explained that the freight trains run about once an hour through the night and that the commuter trains in the morning (starting at 5AM) run about every 15 minutes. Needless to say one of the worst expereinces of my life. Never ever again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank travelinman3
Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

We go to this area a few times a year - usually we stay in an upscale hotel - thought we might try saving some money. This motel was a pleasant suprise for us. Front desk was great - happy to see us and had us on our way to the room in a minute. Our room was in the silo - Funky in a cool way. It was clean and comfortable. Everything worked. If there was a train, we didn't hear it. I was a little worried after reading some of the negative reviews. They were definitely not our experience. We plan on using this motel again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Southampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

Driving to this hotel I was thinking 'that is one awful looking building I hope thats not our hotel' but it was. It looked like a derelict farm, and it turned out, thats just what it used to be.

Reception were friendly, and it looked very clean. They made sure they told us how close we were to the railroad tracks, and asked us if we were sure we wanted to stay, and told us the train times when we would be woken! We went to out room and were shocked, but kind of happily surprised to learn it was an old grain silo! How cool is that? The rooms were hexagon shaped, and unpainted concrete, and there was a paper telling you how and why the hotel was built.

Breakfast is included and was rather basic, and it was fun to see pictures of the hotel when it was a working rail/silo/farm thing.

My only critisism would be the wooden floors and doors and too thin, and that they were many people returning from parties at early hours making lots of noise. They woke me up. But the trains didn't.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times and have always enjoyed it. The breakfast is great, the rooms are clean and up to date. The fact that it is an old silo is a great thrill to children as is the high speed train that runs behind the hotel. There are a few places to walk and eat. All rooms have wifi. Very pet friendly and the staff is great.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family